The Student Room Group

Horrible Experinece has made me re-think

So today i had my 1st day of work experince at this independant film production place it took me two hours to get there (I decided to take the bus its cheaper) and i had no idea what to expect so i as open for it to be anything but i really had in mind a well furnished apartment type of office.

BUT when i got there and opened the door it stunk like a tramps house its was disgusting the hallway was dark dingy and it smelt like no one had been living there for a good few years the computers were dated and rooms really small. the one where i was working was tiny my hallway is bigger than that room it looked like some 35 year old live with his mum computer geeks bedroom. I didnt actaully do anything because they couldnt get the software to run and when it did they guy didnt even know how to use it and he has been there for 7 years which was really suprisng becuase he did kind of the same course as i want to do and im getting scared that i might end up somewhere like that which i dont want. the guy who owned it had been in the industry for about 25 years and the though of that linked with what i could see i just smelt failure.

and btw im not going back tommorow!! Am i right to be worried i am really considering taking another subject something like Public relations it is a safer opition
Reply 1
doesnt mean that if the guy did the same course and ended up being a jerk, you're gonna be too. Its how well you actually do your degree and from what university you do it.....hope this helps.
Reply 2
If you're unsure if this is the course you want to do, try get another work experience placement somewhere different, as it will probably be completely different. It will be a shame to throw away what potentially could be a course you really enjoy because of one bad experience. You could also get another placement in Public Relations to see if you enjoy it as much. Remember if you don't enjoy it, you probably wont try your hardest in it.
im going to be doing pr so i would say do that

but on a serious note. as long as you work you wont end up like him. like bluemax says doesnt mean youll end up the same
zohaib01
So today i had my 1st day of work experince at this independant film production place it took me two hours to get there (I decided to take the bus its cheaper) and i had no idea what to expect so i as open for it to be anything but i really had in mind a well furnished apartment type of office.

BUT when i got there and opened the door it stunk like a tramps house its was disgusting the hallway was dark dingy and it smelt like no one had been living there for a good few years the computers were dated and rooms really small. the one where i was working was tiny my hallway is bigger than that room it looked like some 35 year old live with his mum computer geeks bedroom. I didnt actaully do anything because they couldnt get the software to run and when it did they guy didnt even know how to use it and he has been there for 7 years which was really suprisng becuase he did kind of the same course as i want to do and im getting scared that i might end up somewhere like that which i dont want. the guy who owned it had been in the industry for about 25 years and the though of that linked with what i could see i just smelt failure.

and btw im not going back tommorow!! Am i right to be worried i am really considering taking another subject something like Public relations it is a safer opition

I would have thought it quite obvious

independent film production = hardly any monies= saving money where you can= ****** rooms
Reply 5
Steph708
If you're unsure if this is the course you want to do, try get another work experience placement somewhere different, as it will probably be completely different. It will be a shame to throw away what potentially could be a course you really enjoy because of one bad experience. You could also get another placement in Public Relations to see if you enjoy it as much. Remember if you don't enjoy it, you probably wont try your hardest in it.

yer thats what i was thinking because BBc Yorkshire is right oppistie the bus station so might give them a call but i think its really unlikely i'd get anything so late on in the year. and i hve no idea where i could find a PR placement
Hope youve told them youre not going back. Id be pretty annoyed if some work experience person turned up for one day then sodded off.
Reply 7
toddlers crossword
Hope youve told them youre not going back. Id be pretty annoyed if some work experience person turned up for one day then sodded off.

noo i think they kind of figured it out i wont be going back becuase it was totally pointless the most productive thing i did was scan bussniess cards!!
Reply 8
zohaib01
noo i think they kind of figured it out i wont be going back becuase it was totally pointless the most productive thing i did was scan bussniess cards!!

Still, it's just good manners to tell them you won't be going back.
Reply 9
Two things, OP:

1) As someone else has said, independent film-making isn't like working on the summer blockbuster. Independent film-makers have a small budget, and cutting costs on the un-necessary (such as grand offices) can be vital. Don't judge on the building alone.

2) The film industry has changed HUGE amounts in the last few years. Just because the guy you saw was out-of-the-loop now, that doesn't mean that he was when he left university. Maybe he just (stupidly) didn't keep up with the times, or maybe he didn't have the money to (which would also explain the old equipment). The film industry isn't always about being modern and technologically groundbreaking - sometimes a low budget film put together in a dingy attic is far more powerful.

Just a few things to think about. From your various posts on this forum it looks to me that you're expecting far too much - to make it to the top instantly. You have to understand that it's nowhere near that easy.
Reply 10
cpj1987
Two things, OP:

1) As someone else has said, independent film-making isn't like working on the summer blockbuster. Independent film-makers have a small budget, and cutting costs on the un-necessary (such as grand offices) can be vital. Don't judge on the building alone.

2) The film industry has changed HUGE amounts in the last few years. Just because the guy you saw was out-of-the-loop now, that doesn't mean that he was when he left university. Maybe he just (stupidly) didn't keep up with the times, or maybe he didn't have the money to (which would also explain the old equipment). The film industry isn't always about being modern and technologically groundbreaking - sometimes a low budget film put together in a dingy attic is far more powerful.

Just a few things to think about. From your various posts on this forum it looks to me that you're expecting far too much - to make it to the top instantly. You have to understand that it's nowhere near that easy.

i know i will have to work from the bottom up but just that enviroment was so unnapealing its like totally putting me off i need some inspiration!
Reply 11
zohaib01
i know i will have to work from the bottom up but just that enviroment was so unnapealing its like totally putting me off i need some inspiration!

Did you talk a lot to the staff? Rather than judging on the place, your work experience should have helped you see the passion the people have for the industry and their work. Was that the case?
Reply 12
cpj1987
Did you talk a lot to the staff? Rather than judging on the place, your work experience should have helped you see the passion the people have for the industry and their work. Was that the case?

well there was only 3 people working there the guy who owns the comapny who is really nasty another lad who works for him and a girl who sits and checks emails. i spoke to the young lad and where he wanted to go he said he wanted to write for tv and film i said why dont you go find somehting then instead of staying here he was like oh my girlfirend and stuff he was a bit lala though.

I failed to see any passion for what they were doing which thoroughout the day was mostly nothing and i didnt enjoy it at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending