The Student Room Group

physics work experience year 12?

hi,

I just wanted to ask if there any work experiences for someone looking to study physics /natsci at university. im in y12

Original post by nosetool
hi,

I just wanted to ask if there any work experiences for someone looking to study physics /natsci at university. im in y12

Hiya,

I'm a current astrophysics and cosmology student at Lancaster University and did a few programmes before applying to uni to help my application stand out. Although they were not work experineces, I thought I'd share them with you incase you would be interested!

I highly recommend looking into the Smallpeice Trust, having a look on their website for any programmes they have going on that might interest you.
Another side I used was Springpod and I completed a course with Airbus that was classified as "aerospace work experience". They have a variety of programmes on this site as well so it's worth having a browse here too.
Also approaching companies and asking to shadow someone is great and could really help you stand out on uni applications.
Finally, if you haven't had a quick search online for specific work experience related to subjects you are interested in, then I'd really recommend that. Quite a few companies do reserach placements where students can work alongside researchers in their relevant fields, there are also programmes run by museums and universities too, such as the Natural Histroy Museum that offer a limited number of placements for students. I'd suggest having a look at these, seeing what takes your interest and applying as soon as you can!

As another suggestion, ask a few of your teachers if they know of any places of work experience that previous students may have undertaken, any companies they suggest or websites to have a look at that they may have seen other students use in the past for applications.

I hope all this helps and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask :smile:)
-- Arya (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending