The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
People who dislike bands for being mainstream are fannys. Don't they realise the likes of Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath were all huge in their time. Too many elitists around here. Whilst there are too many rubbish bands/artistd in the mainstream these days there are also many good bands namely Muse, The Killers in terms of bands and perhaps the Arctics too, not much good bands any more as KoL have sold out with a complete **** album.
Reply 41
thatrollingstone
Well not at all, the music that I take a liking to just happens to be popular.

Then there's no problem; though if you consider yourself a true aficionado (rather than a dilettante) then, at the risk of seeming trite, I'd recommend broadening your horizons: there are better bands 'off the radar', as it were.
Reply 42
pumpkin gets a snakebite
No. The majority of the music on my ipod is indie pop, bands like Camera Obscura, things like Animal Collective, as well as hip hop, The Wave Pictures, folk and rock, some jazz...

People always scroll through the artists and pick out something like Brandy or Britney Spears or Rihanna and laugh a little and I tell them to shut up.

If you like mainstream music, then that's good. Don't change what you listen to because someone decides that it's not cool or credible enough. I'd rather listen to Girls Aloud and The Saturdays on repeat than Neutral Milk Hotel and Of Montreal or John Cage and John Zorn or whatever just because I thought cooler people would like me more because of it.

Just because it's mainstream shouldn't stop you from liking it.

Props for the 'Obscure AnCo Reference' username. :wink: You win 1000 indie points :biggrin:
Profesh
Then there's no problem; though if you consider yourself a true aficionado (rather than a dilettante) then, at the risk of seeming trite, I'd recommend broadening your horizons: there are better bands 'off the radar', as it were.

I'm trying :yes: Where do I look to find these good 'off the radar' bands? Because the only way I've tried so far is look at stats and charts, and the occasional visit to the online radio but most of them as you can imagine only provide the mainstream popular artists. I do occasional discover some of them at sites like last.fm however.

Also, should I be ashamed that I had to visit the online dictionary three times to understand wholly what you were talking about? :o: :p:
Reply 44
thatrollingstone
I'm trying :yes: Where do I look to find these good 'off the radar' bands? Because the only way I've tried so far is look at stats and charts, and the occasional visit to the online radio but most of them as you can imagine only provide the mainstream popular artists. I do occasional discover some of them at sites like last.fm however.

Start perusing Last.fm in earnest; 'artist radio', 'tag radio' and 'personal radio' are all abundant sources, especially if you have some idea about genre and are able to exploit the 'audioscrobbler' plug-in to the fullest of its potential.

Also, should I be ashamed that I had to visit the online dictionary three times to understand wholly what you were talking about? :o: :p:

Probably not: my diction is ridiculously obscure.
Profesh
Start perusing Last.fm in earnest; 'artist radio', 'tag radio' and 'personal radio' are all abundant sources, especially if you have some idea about genre and are able to exploit the 'audioscrobbler' plug-in to the fullest of its potential.

Thank you :yy:
Reply 46
I used to feel ashamed if I listened to Britney Spears or Lady Gaga, because I was convinced anyone who looked at my Last FM would judge me for it. But now I don't care - I listen to a wide enough variety of music that I can definitively say that not everything I listen to is 'mainstream'.

There's something satisfying about listening to music that not everybody has heard of, but there's certainly nothing wrong with listening to mainstream music. If you like it, then who cares whether it's been at number one or if you're one of only about 50 listeners on Last FM?

Latest