The Student Room Group

friend issues..

basically, a new girl joined our friendship group at the start of this year and at first it was all good with us all but now things are starting to become strained.

she is very clingy to one particular member of our group who she counts as her "best friend", there is nothing wrong with this but the girl she claims is her best bud doesn't really wanna be that close to her as she is starting to be annyoed by the clingyness. The new friend is also rude when round at others' houses and is just generally not very pleasant sometimes.

don;t get me wrong, sometimes its fine, but a lot of the time it is just becoming a bit too much. she is quite jealous and overpowering and we don;t know what to do. half our group dislike her already and the rest of us are slowly heading that way..

is there any advice to be given??
Reply 1
Should be in the H&R Forum...
Reply 2
just realised apologies. i thought i was posting there. obviously clicked the wrong button
Reply 3
floralteapot
basically, a new girl joined our friendship group at the start of this year and at first it was all good with us all but now things are starting to become strained.

she is very clingy to one particular member of our group who she counts as her "best friend", there is nothing wrong with this but the girl she claims is her best bud doesn't really wanna be that close to her as she is starting to be annyoed by the clingyness. The new friend is also rude when round at others' houses and is just generally not very pleasant sometimes.

don;t get me wrong, sometimes its fine, but a lot of the time it is just becoming a bit too much. she is quite jealous and overpowering and we don;t know what to do. half our group dislike her already and the rest of us are slowly heading that way..

is there any advice to be given??

Someone tell her nicely. Maybe the 'best friend' about her being rude and slightly clingy. She will think about her behaviour and change it hopefully.
tricky! you could somehow slip the situation into a conversation and talk about what's going on hypothetically so she gets the hint but her feelings aren't hurt? you could talk to her upfront anf honestly, but just one or two of you so that she doesn't feel intimidated. it sounds like, especially as she is new to the friendship group, she's quite insecure...
It sounds like, because she's new to the group, she's trying to establish herself as a necessary part by becoming someones "best friend". I would suggest the girl she is trying to befriend in this way be the one to talk to her. I wouldn't necessarily bring up the clingyness- more how sometimes she is coming across the wrong way. I think she needs to be reassured that close friendships don't just happen, they take time and compromise. Good luck!
You need to tell her before it's too late.

Latest

Trending

Trending