The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3240
inksplodge
Nights are much nicer! :smile: Not sure about NYE though we get that night off :biggrin:

Yeh, I've done nights for quite a while now :smile:. Nicer... kinda. But there's something to be said for the variety that customers can inject into your life.
I asked them on the phone and they said that, for my store at least, shift were full ahead on NYE, so I presume they're opening NYD as normal.
Hi there, I'm new here.

I've just been offered a temp Xmas job as a catering assistant in the JS cafe. I originally applied for general assistant but when they offered me the job they had decided to change it. During my interview they said my contract would definitely end on the 24th of Dec - I start on saturday so this is less than 2 weeks work and I was completely open to working boxing day, NYE, whatever, but I guess I can't now even if I wanted to!

So, what are the chances that they might keep me on after my contract ends?
Reply 3242
That depends hugely on the store and the requirements that they find they have at the time. There's a chance, but your only option is to ask them in a week's time.
Yeah that's true, I was just wondering because I had read about people being kept on after temping but was worried because the manager said it in a very definite way!
Reply 3244
@FXX: Nope, I wasn't told that i'd be needed for extra hours over Christmas! At the interview I was just told that my hours would be 9am til 5pm on Thursdays and 4pm til 11pm on Saturdays. I rang my store earlier though and they said I have to work all the additional hours they've given me!
hello im a former worker at sainsbury's left about a year ago due to intership. i applied for sainsbury's job back in September but failed on question in the interview dvd.

now i heard that former workers have come back without apllying online etc. I phoned head office they said this is not allowed but how come by local sainsbury branch allow this. the people that have come back had a great friendship relationship with the checkout Manager.

this is unfair and corroupt. has this happened to any of your local sainsburys store?
The Undertaker
hello im a former worker at sainsbury's left about a year ago due to intership. i applied for sainsbury's job back in September but failed on question in the interview dvd.

now i heard that former workers have come back without apllying online etc. I phoned head office they said this is not allowed but how come by local sainsbury branch allow this. the people that have come back had a great friendship relationship with the checkout Manager.

this is unfair and corroupt. has this happened to any of your local sainsburys store?

It's frowned upon, but it happens.

In actual fact, I left earlier this year. I'm now back at Sainsbury's holding the same title as I did before I left. It depends on the requirements of the store. For the position I've filled, I'm led to believe candidates were interviewed, but no one was adequate.

It's not unfair, and it's not corrupt. It's a simple case of 'it's not what you know, but who you know'.
TashM
@FXX: Nope, I wasn't told that i'd be needed for extra hours over Christmas! At the interview I was just told that my hours would be 9am til 5pm on Thursdays and 4pm til 11pm on Saturdays. I rang my store earlier though and they said I have to work all the additional hours they've given me!

Hi,

I would look over your contract again. In several cases, you're hired on the pretence you're doing x hours, but in actual fact, you'll end up doing y hours.

It's worth nothing, that over the Christmas period, you're expected to do additional hours. But, in most cases, this will be mutually agreed.

If you're unable to work these additional hours, then you are within your rights to refuse (providing your contract does say 14 hours, and you've not verbally agreed to the additional hours). But it's also worth remembering that you are on a probationary period and during which, you can be 'dismissed' etc.
uvatiarru
Yeah that's true, I was just wondering because I had read about people being kept on after temping but was worried because the manager said it in a very definite way!

In most cases, the 'contract end' date is set to cover all possible scenarios. For example, if your store doesn't perform too well, you'll be let go etc. But if it does well, or you prove to be valuable resource your contract will most likely be extended.

I guess, there is nothing more you can do other than make a good impression and work your hardest, being as flexible as possible.

I would suggest speaking to your manager. Make it known that you are flexible in terms of hours (it could turn out after Christmas that they could do with someone, but on different shifts) or within the store on other departments. I know individuals that started on BWS and moved after Christmas to the Grocery department. It does happen.
zzzzz so tired, but it's nearly xmas yay!
Reply 3250
Over the last two days I've really enjoyed listening to the Christmas music CD :p: I was dreading it after reading the comments on here about it! :biggrin:
I wish we had crimbo music, it would make me feel crimboy.
If I'm on shift, the Christmas CD is banned. I can't stand it. :mad:
we are still playing any old **** not just xmas lol
inksplodge
we are still playing any old **** not just xmas lol

I think I would prefer the old **** than Christmas music. If I'm honest, 'I'll be home for Christmas', 'Do they know it's Christmas', and 'Last Christmas', on repeat for six hours is too much.

I've hidden the CD now, so hopefully things will be a lot less nauseating.
I have a rather odd request. Earlier this year, I uploaded a timesheet/hour/wage template in excel and uploaded it on here. I've deleted it from my computer and no longer have it, but need it. If someone has it, could you upload it?

Much thanks and rep available :biggrin:
oh ive had my first review at work too, all good :biggrin:
I might just buy a cheap crimbo cd and put it on in the staff office, its where i sit most of the day anyway.

Haha, has anyone seen the bomb threat video? its from around 1994, its brilliantly hilarious when it shouldn't be.
work in an hour and i just want to go back to bed... im quite glad for the music (any) gets me moving lol. we had that eurovision song playing the other nght :biggrin:
Holiday question:

When are you allowed to book dates for next July does anyone know?

Latest

Trending

Trending