The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3280
inksplodge
how did they take it, absurd? :tongue: i'm so glad i don't have to deal with that

They were really nice about it, actually. It was a young couple.
Lukely
Hand guns you say, Spazzycazzy?! Well. Better avoid you from now on then hadn't I!!

I was thinking about calling the Online manager today and asking about the Online General Assistant internal vacancy but I've decided against it because the hours are stupid! Then I thought "wait - no... I'll apply for Online Shopping Assistant!!" and then I saw the hours were:

Tuesday 06:00-10:00
Saturday 06:00-10:00
Sunday 06:00-10:00

I couldn't make the Tuesday and the Sat/Sun would be painful!

So I've put down for First Aid training "...which attracts an additional annual payment" hahaha

One of our shoppers was going mental today because she's the only first aider that actually responds to the call outs! And she's had to clean up 3 different kids puke in the last 2 weeks :biggrin:
You do get about £100/150 a year premium :yep: I couldn't stand the puke though lol
Yes we need tuesdays & weekends covered in online.
Whats the general assistant hours then? I know its only mainly stacking the totes out back for the drivers.
Lukely
...especially when there were 20-odd surges (without a break between) on Saturday night when all us lot had left. Therefore I think there has to have been a bit of a short-circuiting issue resulting in only a quarter of the tills working on Sunday morning!!

NIGHTMARE! :woo:

Yes apparently it was happening so often sunday morning, that online had to get the shopping orders faxed over from Reading & the shoppers had to go out & paper pick everything? Instead of using the hand guns. Unfortunately they tend to need rebooting when the power goes off, & that takes 10 minutes a time! Not good lol It was ok today, no problems :o:
I'm not sure who to be brassed off with today really! I was told I cant have next tuesday off by my manager, even though it was authorised months ago before the manager change over. Anyway, I accepted that (apparently I could of put my foot down & said tough seeing as it had been authorised) but anyway, I put on a holiday form that I wanted next tuesday cancelled & will have jan 28th instead, left it on managers desk bit 2 weeks ago. Gone upstairs to HR today, asked them to check on the pc its been sorted, they said no because holiday forms for online have only just arrived up there & that they dont have a holiday form for me, the holiday form isn't in my dept either. So it seems i'm seriously tempted to just stay at home tuesday seeing as HR wont pull their finger out!!!
Reply 3284
Spazzycazzy
I'm not sure who to be brassed off with today really! I was told I cant have next tuesday off by my manager, even though it was authorised months ago before the manager change over. Anyway, I accepted that (apparently I could of put my foot down & said tough seeing as it had been authorised) but anyway, I put on a holiday form that I wanted next tuesday cancelled & will have jan 28th instead, left it on managers desk bit 2 weeks ago. Gone upstairs to HR today, asked them to check on the pc its been sorted, they said no because holiday forms for online have only just arrived up there & that they dont have a holiday form for me, the holiday form isn't in my dept either. So it seems i'm seriously tempted to just stay at home tuesday seeing as HR wont pull their finger out!!!

Our HR are a nightmare. :rolleyes: Just pull a sicky :yep:
Hi, I saw this vacancy the other day for a new store opening in Sheffield on the Direct.gov website - (Link to job doesn't work unfortunately).

I checked the Sainsburys careers website to apply for it, but it wasn't there, so I phoned the Jobcentre and they sent me to the same place. I checked everywhere but the vacancies available are just not there; in fact, I only saw one vacancy in Sheffield in total and that was for a managerial job in another store. So my question is - how on earth do I apply for this job?! :p:

The job was only posted on Friday and I saw the job yesterday. So surely they haven't removed the vacancy already when they are looking for a huge number of employees.
That's me been at Sainsburys two weeks now as a Counter Assistant and I really like it! The people are cool, the work is easy and it's a laugh! My manager just phoned me and asked if I could do Fri instead of Thur and take Sat off. I didn't really wanna take sat off as now I'm losing a whole days wages, but they just don't need us all. :frown:

I just figured out I only actually have 4 shifts left until my Xmas Temp contract comes to an end. Boooo. :frown: :eek:
Phobia27
Hi, I saw this vacancy the other day for a new store opening in Sheffield - (Link to job details doesn't work unfortunately).

I checked the Sainsburys careers website to apply for it, but it wasn't there, so I phoned the Jobcentre and they sent me to the same place. I checked everywhere but the vacancies available are just not there; in fact, I only saw one vacancy in Sheffield in total and that was for a managerial job in another store. So my question is - how on earth do I apply for this job?! :p:

If it's not showing on the website anymore it's probably because they have enough applicants. They only take like 2 per vacancy then the job is removed.
flipshot
If it's not showing on the website anymore it's probably because they have enough applicants. They only take like 2 per vacancy then the job is removed.

Urgh that's annoying, so they got enough applicants for a brand new store in the space of two days? :frown: Doesn't surprise me to be honest, I heard another store a while back for Tesco was opening in Sheffield for 100 vacancies, and they got something like 10,000 or something ridiculous. I have just found the recruitment enquires email address so I might just drop them a email just to be sure. Thanks anyway.
Reply 3289
RandomGirly
That's me been at Sainsburys two weeks now as a Counter Assistant and I really like it! The people are cool, the work is easy and it's a laugh! My manager just phoned me and asked if I could do Fri instead of Thur and take Sat off. I didn't really wanna take sat off as now I'm losing a whole days wages, but they just don't need us all. :frown:

Did you say no?
estel
Did you say no?

I said yes that I could swap Thur for Fri, no problem. When she asked if I could take Saturday off I asked for another shift to cover the hours so I would get my contracted 12 hours, but she said she didn't have any other available shifts.
Lukely
Our HR are a nightmare. :rolleyes: Just pull a sicky :yep:

Nah, I have only had 2 days off sick in over a year, I aint starting all that now lol
Its a HR fluff up, my manager said she had put the holiday form up there. Reckons she will sort it. We'll see. I will probably lose a days holiday, wont know until march I expect, or when I next get a holiday form atleast :rolleyes:
Reply 3292
Will Sainsburys be open on New Year's Day? I know that the one I work at is shut for Boxing Day but there's no mention about NYE/NYD. Due to start my first shift tomorrow since September.
Louisdf
Will Sainsburys be open on New Year's Day? I know that the one I work at is shut for Boxing Day but there's no mention about NYE/NYD. Due to start my first shift tomorrow since September.

The store I used to work in is open New Years Day. Its closed Saturday -they call it boxing day but technically its meant to be the first weekday after Christmas Day so its Monday. Don't know if every store in the country is.
Reply 3294
Louisdf

Go on the Sainsbury's website and find your store's Christmas opening times?
Reply 3295
Lukely
Go on the Sainsbury's website and find your store's Christmas opening times?

For my store at least, there's no mention of NYE/NYD on the website. Which is a tad odd.
estel
For my store at least, there's no mention of NYE/NYD on the website. Which is a tad odd.

You should be able to find it out on Connect.
Reply 3297
WhereIsMyMind
You should be able to find it out on Connect.

I hope I'll clarify it when I go in on Thursday to start temping. I guess my comment was more from the point of view of a customer, really. It's the sort of thing that the site should clarify.
Reply 3298
My manage is asking me to come in 10-7 on New Years Day. My contract is 2-10 on that particular day, so what are my 'rights'(for want of a better word)?

I spoke to my HR manager about this, as my manager asked me to do something like this. As it's your day to work, you still have to work but you can start at 2 and finish at whatever time the store closes.
Probably it will be sunday trading hours being New Year day - 9-4 or 10-5 I duno, but you start at 2 and can finish when the store closes. They still have to pay you as if you were working till 10.

Thats what I were told :smile:
estel
I hope I'll clarify it when I go in on Thursday to start temping. I guess my comment was more from the point of view of a customer, really. It's the sort of thing that the site should clarify.

Did you click the link for Store Details when you search for the store. The popup box on the map only shows the normal hours but if you then click through to store details it should list the christmas hours at the bottom.

Latest

Trending

Trending