The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How long after your induction days did you start work? Got mine tommorrow and Wednesday and My normal working days would be thurs, fri sat and sun. Just wondering if I would start following my induction this week? :smile:
Reply 4141
Yep, you start straight after the induction.
Charmaiinn
How long after your induction days did you start work? Got mine tommorrow and Wednesday and My normal working days would be thurs, fri sat and sun. Just wondering if I would start following my induction this week? :smile:

I started the next day, you'll probably see a manager from your dept instore who you can ask.

Only 90 minutes for till training, seems a bit short to me:confused: I'm sure the christmas checkout temps had two days training.
Bleh only reason I'm 'happy' about doing it is to get paid a full day for training.:rolleyes:
Reply 4143
I think they officially say that the till training will take 1/2 days, but that's how long they'll keep the "new trainee" sign on the end of the till. Realistically it takes about 90 minutes to tell you how to log in, do a transaction, press the help button and some other basic stuff. Especially now you don't have to worry about cheques, which I remember taking about half of the training time.
Reply 4144
Nevasleep
eek!, checkout training all day tomorrow.
More nervous of the speaking/spending all day with the store trainer, than the actual till.

Gawd I remember checkout training. ******* tedious, it was.
Reply 4145
estel
I think they officially say that the till training will take 1/2 days, but that's how long they'll keep the "new trainee" sign on the end of the till. Realistically it takes about 90 minutes to tell you how to log in, do a transaction, press the help button and some other basic stuff. Especially now you don't have to worry about cheques, which I remember taking about half of the training time.

My training took about 30 mins on the tills and another 30 mins upstairs filling out that silly book.

They don't teach everything :frown: Saving stamps >_> Firt time I cam across them I was like wtf.....I get one every 6 months or so.
Reply 4146
Yeah all the checkouts staff in our store have different habits!! It's quite amusing... because some of us were trained by the deputy checkouts manager, some were trained by an "acting" store trainer, and others have been trained by a store trainer, and some have been 'trained' by people who have no experience with the checkout at all!!

My name is spelt wrong on the till.

Hahaha!! And... can someone please, please explain to me what the hell is it with the IPM thing?!?!

We've got these charts up in front of the clock in machine out back with a list of everybody who can use a till's operator numbers and a set of 4 'week' columns... and they put your items per minute in at the end of every week so we can all see them. What's really confusing me is the fact that they're actually putting the IPM for supervisors, and the colleagues who do self-scan!! And they get ridiculous numbers like 25-28 IPM, for doing nothing... and yet I go relatively quickly, hit the ENTER key and I still get between 14-16 IPM every week, yet people I know go as quick as me AND slower get HIGHER scores than me.

I think it's rigged. I think it's cos someone doesn't like my scanning!! I wonder who that might be? :rolleyes: *I KNOW*

It's like I know how it works. I get it right. I get on with it and yet somehow I'm still one of the 'slow' ones. WHY... :confused:

Grrr.

As for the heating thing, my take on that is that they just want to save as much money as possible and they don't give any consideration otherwise!!

I remember they stuck laminated notices on the tables in the staff cafeteria over Christmas saying we apologise for the lack of heating etc in the store, we've had an engineer out blah blah blah only one of the 20 zones in the heating system is actually working - LIES. And funnily enough, that 1 out of 20 zones happened to be the upstairs staff area!! Hmm, bit fishy if you ask me!! No wonder we hardly saw senior management on the shop floor, at least not near checkouts over Christmas anyway!!! :wink:
Reply 4147
Just realised my overtime means I'm doing four 6am starts in a row, and I may do a fifth on Sunday. The money will be nice, but coupled with all the uni work I've been doing lately, boy will I be tired next week :frown:
Store trainer wasn't in today,....so my checkout training was a bit 'ad-hoc'.
Bit of shadowing/being watched, then got a till in training mode to **** around with(most of the time spent trying to get a high total...£600 donation to charity and a couple TVs and then paying with 6000 saving stamps haha) great to find those extras like 'charity roundup', and then on a till by myself for a few hours.

Think I might have to try and get some overtime on it. Better than the 6am/4am starts with online.

Also anybody know the quick code for parsnips? is it 62725 or something...
Also the single Cadburys Cream Eggs are under Pick n Mix, which is handy.
Reply 4150
Parsnips are 4672 :biggrin:
Nevasleep
Also the single Cadburys Cream Eggs are under Pick n Mix, which is handy.

5020 1600

Haven't worked there for 5 months but I still remember that one, had to type it so many times.
Reply 4152
what about cadbury caramel eggs and other things? I just scanned the Aero one twice for someone as I knew they were on special offer together.
Reply 4153
PJ991
what about cadbury caramel eggs and other things? I just scanned the Aero one twice for someone as I knew they were on special offer together.

filled eggs 2 for 80p?
back to work on thursday :frown: a week til pay day :biggrin:
Reply 4155
what is the last cut off date for pay day? Is it the monday before the pay day?
PJ991

I remember someone saying it was the Saturday before... but not 100%
I'm happy to say that I actually survived an excrutiating 4 hours interview as a Night Manager.It was the most challenging but quite interesting one I've ever had in my life.In this thread and the other Sainsbury threads on here that I spent ages reading through whilst doing my pre-interview research(btw,thanks to all who gave me tips),some of you complained that sometimes Sainsbury seems to hire managers who don't have good management skills which I now find suprising coz after what I went through in that interview,even I don't get the job I gotta hand it to Sainsbury's for the methods they use in management recruitment.Maybe I'm wrong but I'd expect any manager in Sainsbury to be pretty smart(not just good uni/college grades but the kind of intelligence they don't teach u in uni!)
PJ991

The saturday before. So this coming one :yep:
Reply 4159
YoungLadyinBrum
... Maybe I'm wrong but I'd expect any manager in Sainsbury to be pretty smart(not just good uni/college grades but the kind of intelligence they don't teach u in uni!)

Out if interest what are the A-level/university requirements to be a store manager?

Latest

Trending

Trending