The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4740
Spazzycazzy
We had a celeb do his shopping in our store today, I dont expect many of you will know who Wet, wet wet were, your parents will! Apparently he shops in there a lot. I never normally notice anyone!
Bit gutted, a woman that started the same day as me in november 2008 handed her notice in today :redface:(

(Cue the cheese) Oh, we had a bigger and better celebrity in today apparently. Justin King.

Apparently we sometimes get that black guy off the gadget show come in to our store. Never seen him though -shrug-

I wasn't due to go in today, so I did a quick visit to see what they did with the Avatar stuff (I was genuinely interested to see what they where doing because I saw them setting it up last night, and they've made a massive fuss about it being 2 per customer) They proper pulled it out the bag. I felt like I walked into a movie premier. I was VERY impressed. All that was missing was turning the Sainsbury's logo blue for it!
Reply 4741
Spazzycazzy
Oh no, that must have been a shock the 16 year old one! :frown:

When the Journal comes out and when I look in the obituaries bit, I sometimes see xyz, 2 weeks, Aged 16.

They have just got a new job, probably their first, and then they die. It brings to life however good life/lucky you get, one "tiny" thing can break it all apart- disasterously.
Does anyone know what the new Online targets are all about? I was in Sainsbury's earlier and one of the Online girls was on overtime at checkouts and was on a tangent about how things have 'gone to the dogs'. I can't stand the place, and I can't stand her, so I made a sharp exist.

What's so bad about them? :confused:
Reply 4743
Foulish

I wasn't due to go in today, so I did a quick visit to see what they did with the Avatar stuff (I was genuinely interested to see what they where doing because I saw them setting it up last night, and they've made a massive fuss about it being 2 per customer) They proper pulled it out the bag. I felt like I walked into a movie premier. I was VERY impressed. All that was missing was turning the Sainsbury's logo blue for it!

ive seen peter beardsley and tim krul in my store on a few occassions.

your store must a top 32 store, they get cardboard arches, carpets, eveyrthing the rest get a standee or two lol.
must be a slap in the face for people who thought it was gonna sell loads considering they opened an hour early and still asda was cheaper at £8.
Reply 4744
mug51
ive seen peter beardsley and tim krul in my store on a few occassions.

your store must a top 32 store, they get cardboard arches, carpets, eveyrthing the rest get a standee or two lol.
must be a slap in the face for people who thought it was gonna sell loads considering they opened an hour early and still asda was cheaper at £8.

All I know is, if there is a Disaster, we are the first store in the region that is contacted.

First in the Cascade? Something like that.

My store is ex-sava

I diodn't see an arch, but I saw a display with a TV built into it, amongst other blue related stuff.

I still however feel this is going to be a massive waste of money
Reply 4745
Hmm i cant decideeee. Theres an online shopper going at my local, but ive already applied for a job at GAME. I think the online shopper is a few more hours and could be a little less pay but the store is much closer to home than GAME is.

Not to mention my local seems to be overloaded with online shoppers :lol:

I applied for Sainsburys. Since ive been to the interview before i feel i kinda have a better chance at securing that then the other one.
Reply 4746
ooo a dilemma there edd

apply for them both, if one rejects you then you've solved your dilemma.
if both want you, then your scenarios are what you had 2 hours ago.

Sainsburys - Closer to home, more hours, possibly less pay, early starts

Game - Further to travel, less hours, possibly more pay, most likely later start

At game you obviously deal with games, if thats your thing then you may enjoy it more, Sainsburys shopper will let you deal with stuff a supermarket sells, mags, cds, books, grocery etc. so more variety in what you see day in day out, but it is early starts.

I liked working on the games section in sainsburys however, price changes are a nightmare when there are lots, price sticker off new price sticker on, but seeing great prices on games and new releases were good. but thats how sainsburys work not game so dont base your decision on that, it was just my opinion of games in general.
i quite fancy setting up an entertainment store myself, along with my dessert kitchen, media company and that lol.
Eddikins
Hmm i cant decideeee. Theres an online shopper going at my local, but ive already applied for a job at GAME. I think the online shopper is a few more hours and could be a little less pay but the store is much closer to home than GAME is.

Not to mention my local seems to be overloaded with online shoppers :lol:

I applied for Sainsburys. Since ive been to the interview before i feel i kinda have a better chance at securing that then the other one.

I'm biased eddikins, but I would rather the online shopper one. Probably because I am one lol Game is manic, I think it would boggle my brain! The size of the queues. Online shopping is a bit more chilled.
Early starts yes, but early finishes too! :biggrin:
Not to mention the closer to home.
I applied for another job when I applied for this one too & ended up taking this one back in november 2008, because it was closer to home.
It's not exactly interesting work, but they can be quite flexible with times too as long as you do your hours per day, so I know I did the right thing personally.
Obviously your decision at the end of the day. You'll go the right way, trust your instincts :yep:
Reply 4748
Im pretty sussed that ill go with sainsburys, for the simple reason that i dont have to travel so far to get there unlike Game.

Since it would be my first job, id think id like quite a chilled environment. The game store is 8 hours (or 16 as i didnt get the option to choose a shift when i applied) a week with £5.80 an hour, and Online is 12 and just for a guess i would say £5 an hour. That would leave Online roughly in the middle in terms of salary.

But really id just be happy i had a job, because it sucks having no money and seeing things you want to buy all the time :smile:..
^^ How old are you? it's £6.07 for over 18s now I think.

I'm actually leaving online shopping in the next two weeks.

Overall it's a great dept to work in, although there are a few negatives imo.

Long shifts mean alot of walking!

Sometimes you can be the only staff on the shop floor

Sometimes you will run out of work. You either go on a different dept, or get to go home:smile: (you have to make the hours up)

Early starts can be a bitch!

But if your only doing 12 hours, none of those should bother you!

Also there is normally plenty of overtime available, esp at christmas:woo: :yep:
Great part time job, not so good for full-time.
Reply 4750
Nevasleep
^^ How old are you? it's £6.07 for over 18s now I think

Im 16 :p:
Reply 4751
Nevasleep
^^ How old are you? it's £6.07 for over 18s now I think.

I'm actually leaving online shopping in the next two weeks.

Overall it's a great dept to work in, although there are a few negatives imo.

Long shifts mean alot of walking!

Sometimes you can be the only staff on the shop floor

Sometimes you will run out of work. You either go on a different dept, or get to go home:smile: (you have to make the hours up)

Early starts can be a bitch!

But if your only doing 12 hours, none of those should bother you!

Also there is normally plenty of overtime available, esp at christmas
Great part time job, not so good for full-time.

Ony staff member on the shop floor. hah. I couldn't do that. There is something notr ight about an empty supermarket, and reminds me of a game I play, and lets just say you go intot he supermarket to die. :frown:
Reply 4752
WhereIsMyMind
Does anyone know what the new Online targets are all about? I was in Sainsbury's earlier and one of the Online girls was on overtime at checkouts and was on a tangent about how things have 'gone to the dogs'. I can't stand the place, and I can't stand her, so I made a sharp exist.

What's so bad about them? :confused:

You have to average one item every 37 seconds, including going out the back at the end of a shop, putting the shopping away in lanes, filling up the trolley again, and finding your way back to the start of the next shop. When I started, the target way something like 45 seconds and it was only the time between starting a shop and finishing it - they didn't time you for how long it took inbetween.

I don't bother with it. It's a ridiculous target, especially if you don't work a lot of hours - if you're fast, the more shopping you do, the more under the target you can get. I do 12 hours a week (two 6 hour shifts) and we've been running out of work by 10, and considering I take my break at 9, that's about 7 hours a week I'm shopping in order to get down to that ridiculous target. I'm one of the fastest on the department and my speeds last week were 41. If the work isn't there, you can't go as quick as they want you to, even if it didn't account for the time you spend out the back.

I know there are at least 5 people in our department looking for other jobs now. We're being treated like dogs at the moment.
Just goes to show the lack of communication in our store because I didn't even know there was a limit per item! :eek:
I do 16 hours a week, 4 of those are on a saturday with a 6am start, so we never run out of work that day for me, but mondays we quite often run out of work by about 11. 3 days a week I start at 9. That's 2 hours of shelf stacking I do per week on average!
I have AMB 1 mostly, & go like the clappers, so I get them done in about 35 minutes (if they allow you 50 minutes for instance)
So where does that leave me?
At my store, we have a target of 34MPO(minutes per order):confused: , we don't unload the shopping anymore, and we aren't allowed to look in warehouses/out the back...if it's not there sub it. We also have to do as little pending as possible.
We are meant to spend an average of 19 seconds in the online area:rolleyes:

This generally leads to team leaders standing around talking to the drivers half the time....thats what I used to do :frown:

Looks like some idiot in a suit in Holborn, who has never shopped came up with this for brownie points.

That said, my manager doesn't seem to be as interested in the targets now.
Reply 4755
Yeah we've been told not to look out the back unless it's produce or bakery, which is the stuff we used to put in pending anyway...

They sometimes have people putting the shopping away but one person can't cope with 15 shoppers all morning so we usually end up helping out ourselves.

19 seconds, lol. We haven't been told that one afaik, but considering it can often take 3 minutes to get from one side of the store to the other, that's a little optimistic.

We had a trainee team leader come in to tell us about the new rules, but she's left now and they seem a bit less bothered about it too.

It's silly, because most of the time I go into the office, they want to give me a specific shop anyway (the ends of shops people have stored, or something like AMB4) so I have to stay out of a shop for them to give it to me.
FXX

I know there are at least 5 people in our department looking for other jobs now. We're being treated like dogs at the moment.

Aren't most people who work at Sainsbury's, though? :dontknow: We have two people leaving and I'd say the majority want to leave. The few that want to stay only want to stay cos they are finally 'working their way up' but why you'd want to there baffles me.

I can't wait to leave.
Reply 4757
My last shift is Friday. I can't wait. Especially after the assistant manager phoned me up because he didn't believe I was ill for over a week.

He was like "wouldn't you rather just come in than have to lie to the doctor for a sick note?":wtf:
Reply 4758
Apparently, if you wear a Uniform to work you can claim back the expenses incurred from washing and drying.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/185446/is-it-true

Might be of interest?
Reply 4759
Spazzycazzy
Just goes to show the lack of communication in our store because I didn't even know there was a limit per item!
I do 16 hours a week, 4 of those are on a saturday with a 6am start, so we never run out of work that day for me, but mondays we quite often run out of work by about 11. 3 days a week I start at 9. That's 2 hours of shelf stacking I do per week on average!
I have AMB 1 mostly, & go like the clappers, so I get them done in about 35 minutes (if they allow you 50 minutes for instance)
So where does that leave me?

If you run out of work by 11, I don't understand why they are placing these targets upon you -shrug-

Latest

Trending

Trending