The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

how long do you think you have to work at sainsburys before theyll give you a reference for another job?
Hi,

I was a christmas temp in Sainsbury's and was wondering who I could put down as a reference when applying for other jobs. My department manager in training said it would be the HR manager, my department manager said he didn't know and I phoned the store recently to ask no one got back to me so I'm not really sure who to put down as a reference.

So anyone who has used Sainsbury's as a reference, who did you use? Or does anyone know who I should use?

Thanks (:
Reply 8122
Original post by inksplodge
i hope that's true, but it doesn't normally happen does it? :woo:

I remember it happening a couple of years ago when Payday would have ordinarily fallen on 1st January, and we got paid a day earliar.
Original post by backchatIII
Hi,

I was a christmas temp in Sainsbury's and was wondering who I could put down as a reference when applying for other jobs. My department manager in training said it would be the HR manager, my department manager said he didn't know and I phoned the store recently to ask no one got back to me so I'm not really sure who to put down as a reference.

So anyone who has used Sainsbury's as a reference, who did you use? Or does anyone know who I should use?

Thanks (:

I always use my department manager.
Reply 8124
Original post by affinity89
Don't know what stance they take on you getting a second job whilst working for them. I know a few people who held two jobs when I started there though - they didn't want to quit their existing jobs until after the probation period with Sainsbury's. A few still have two jobs over 6 months later...

I can't see why it would be a problem so long as it didn't interfere with your hours for them though...

they might have a problem with you working in the Tesco (Or similar) next door, but one of my colleagues has 2 jobs at both Sainsbury's and M&S. Both places hours equate to 39 hours per week.
Reply 8125
Original post by backchatIII
Hi,

Thanks (:

I think HR deal with references, but just stick your department manager down. It will eventually reach the right person.
Original post by Foulish
I think HR deal with references, but just stick your department manager down. It will eventually reach the right person.

Thanks! (:
Reply 8127
Been offered the job :biggrin:

I have my induction next Wednesday, what does it involve? Is it watching a lot of Health & Safety videos?

And all I can say is I'm glad I got a result finally - I hate waiting for news after an interview, makes me really nervous, I always like to know whether it was a yes or no :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
do many people not make it past the probation period?
Reply 8129
Original post by swarfliam
do many people not make it past the probation period?

In what way? It's almost impossible to be let go after 12 weeks for underperforming, but a fair few people leave within a few weeks because they don't like the job.
Just checked my phone and I have another missed call from work. They tried ringing me at 9.11pm. I know the store is still open, but I think that is taking the biscuit!

I've worked for other companies and they ring if they are desperate for cover etc, but my store seems to be obsessed with ringing people when they are off work! A couple of my friends have said the same. One was called four times in two days!

I don't understand. I was in until 11pm last night and they can't need cover right now [given that the store closes in less than two hours, and it would take me over an hour to get there], so what is so important that they need to call me now? :frown:

The only good thing is that my phone is bust. It doesn't ring anymore, so I always seem to miss there calls. :smile:
Reply 8131
Just checked my phone and I have another missed call from work. They tried ringing me at 9.11pm. I know the store is still open, but I think that is taking the biscuit!

I've worked for other companies and they ring if they are desperate for cover etc, but my store seems to be obsessed with ringing people when they are off work! A couple of my friends have said the same. One was called four times in two days!

I don't understand. I was in until 11pm last night and they can't need cover right now [given that the store closes in less than two hours, and it would take me over an hour to get there], so what is so important that they need to call me now? :frown:

The only good thing is that my phone is bust. It doesn't ring anymore, so I always seem to miss there calls. :smile:

Is it the same person who's ringing you? I would tell them to back off a bit.
Original post by FXX
Is it the same person who's ringing you? I would tell them to back off a bit.

It is the same two supervisors that keep doing it.

My friend asked one why she insisted on calling her when they could arrange shift changes etc just as easy in person, and the supervisor said she "didn't know". In that instance, she had called her twice to rearrange shifts nearly two weeks in the future, despite them both having a shift together the next morning [when they thus could have had the conversation]...

Oh well. I just need to let it 'wash over me' and not bug me so much. I just find it strange lol. I mean, if I was a doctor or something important, I would expect that I might be needed when I am not meant to be in work. But, I am just a checkout assistant lol. Where's the emergency lol?!
They rang me bloody today telling me to start at 8am tomorrow instead of 12 noon :/ grr.
They rang me bloody today telling me to start at 8am tomorrow instead of 12 noon :/ grr.

Definitely a reason not to answer lol!

Given my travel time, I'd have to leave at around 6.45am to get to the store for that time!
Reply 8135

The phrase

"I have planned other things, I can't change the shift times" comes into mind.
Reply 8136
It is the same two supervisors that keep doing it.

My friend asked one why she insisted on calling her when they could arrange shift changes etc just as easy in person, and the supervisor said she "didn't know". In that instance, she had called her twice to rearrange shifts nearly two weeks in the future, despite them both having a shift together the next morning [when they thus could have had the conversation]...

Oh well. I just need to let it 'wash over me' and not bug me so much. I just find it strange lol. I mean, if I was a doctor or something important, I would expect that I might be needed when I am not meant to be in work. But, I am just a checkout assistant lol. Where's the emergency lol?!

If I need to contact someone regarding overtime past 8pm I would text them, not phone them, out of respect.

That is why I have works number saved in all of my phones so unless I'm interested in overtime I just ignore their calls, they can talk to me when I'm next in. Also once I stopped answering my phone each time they rang, they rarely ring me now.
Original post by funkyfish08
That is why I have works number saved in all of my phones so unless I'm interested in overtime I just ignore their calls, they can talk to me when I'm next in. Also once I stopped answering my phone each time they rang, they rarely ring me now.

I am hoping to have the same result. Sooner rather than later. :smile:
Reply 8139
I hate it when the put you on the spot and ask you for overtime though, especially when the manager asks.

Latest

Trending

Trending