The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

tokyorose888
oh hi whereismymind!

how's your new job? how does it compare with sainsburys? lol

Hi Tokyorose88 :smile:

It's bloody marvellous! It's the all the best things from Sainsbury's plus more! :yep: I can't compare it to Sainsbury's really, because the roles are totally different - but Orange is a lot more flexible, better perks, friendlier customers and staff - and it's a lot better atmosphere! No more 80-year old biddies moaning that they're bored on checkouts! :eek: :p:
AgentSushi
Hopefully i was luky, thanks for your help and i totally agree about the DVD test it should be scraped for a one to one interview.

You are more than welcome. Should you get the job, I would bookmark/favourite this thread. Chances are you'll be using it a lot - I'm sure without it, most of us wouldn't even know what was happening within the company (in terms of changes etc).
AwesomelyPsycho
I agree about the DVD! It's pretty easy to complete and the last section is pretty stupid, too. Althou gh I did have a mini one-to-one at the end when she asked why I wanted to work there, what I knew about the company...etc.

How long did you guys wait after your interviews before getting told?

I think the problem with the DVD is that although it may come across easy, you're unlikely to match the answers to exactly what Sainsbury's is looking for. Plus, the questions are the same for each and every candidate (unless you're applying for a position of a different band) and at times, aren't relevant.

In many cases, competency questions would be better suited and are a lot more flexible and can be adapted to suit the role/department.

I had an interview which had questions such as; if your customer had a problem with their card and found it to continually decline - what would you do? Now for checkouts, that is a decent competency question. Unlike, Ooh ahh! A girl is pinching a bottle of vodka! (or whatever it is!)
Reply 1763
WhereIsMyMind
I think Sainsbury's should scrap this (imho) stupid DVD test and have a basic verbal competencies based interview. I'm sure it'll be welcomed a lot more by department managers, plus, it's an overall better way of interviewing candidates.

I agree with you too. If I had this happen to me, I wouldn't apply at Sainsbury's again either - unless I was very desperate.

I'm not too sure how you were told, (because iirc, you were told at the store) but the rather snotty sounding lady (over the phone from HRSS) gave a rather poor impression of the HR department, and it was rather off-putting. It wasn't a case of; 'we're unable to accept applications from you again until six months have passed', it was more, 'look, don't apply again!'

I think it would be more fair just to do a plain interview as well.

In my case, the woman that told me wasnt a Manager, or from the stores HR, but was actually from Customer Services, and basically told me what i did was against the rules of Sainsburys. She then attempted to quickly leave before i said 'uh where am i going?' because i didnt have a clue how to get back out! :rolleyes:
WhereIsMyMind
I think the problem with the DVD is that although it may come across easy, you're unlikely to match the answers to exactly what Sainsbury's is looking for. Plus, the questions are the same for each and every candidate (unless you're applying for a position of a different band) and at times, aren't relevant.

In many cases, competency questions would be better suited and are a lot more flexible and can be adapted to suit the role/department.

I had an interview which had questions such as; if your customer had a problem with their card and found it to continually decline - what would you do? Now for checkouts, that is a decent competency question. Unlike, Ooh ahh! A girl is pinching a bottle of vodka! (or whatever it is!)

Haha, with the maths questions I was sitting there thinking it was really easy... then came along a nightmare of a questions. This product is 83p, or something like that, and a woman wants 12. She gives you a £20 note. How much change do you give? In 25 seconds I can't answer that, lol!

My interview was only a few questions, and nothing like yours. I just gave the typical answers, but made it a little more personal. The only thing is, she isn't the person choosing the new employee. She's just interviewing. Someone else is gonna choose from the two applications.

I just wish they'd get back to me sooner, rather than me having to wait days and days.
Got my interview on wednesday just a bit nervous :biggrin:
Might seem a stupid question but when doing the maths test do they give you like scrap paper to work out your answers out on or you meant to do it all in your head? lool
I'm not too good with mental maths :smile:
TheLastSunrise.
Got my interview on wednesday just a bit nervous :biggrin:
When doing the maths test do they give you like scrap paper to work out your answers out on or you meant to do it all in your head? lool
I'm not too good with mental maths :smile:

They give you scrap paper but the questions are so easy you proberly will not need it.
AgentSushi
They give you scrap paper but the questions are so easy you proberly will not need it.

O Okays thank you :biggrin:
WhereIsMyMind
LOL! I don't blame you, I panicked like mad before my first shift. :o: :p:

But did it go well? I'm scared in case I do something wrong. ..
Reply 1769
My interview was pretty straightforward compared to most people then :p: Essentially, it was:
"Hi, I'm <name>, the Online manager for this store. Can you do these hours? (Yes) Nice weather today isn't it? (chat) Any questions? (no) We'll get back to you soon, bye!".

Took a month to get offered the job but still :p:
inksplodge
But did it go well? I'm scared in case I do something wrong. ..

It was pretty fine. Admittedly I thought I was making mistakes everywhere - wrong codes etc. But it worked out fine.

Besides, so what if you do something wrong? Trust me, it's not the end of the world. One thing Sainsbury's was rather good with was training (to some extent). If you make mistakes - procedures etc, there is nothing wrong with asking for a helping hand. Plus, those that you work with will know you're new and willing to help!
Eddikins that's really annoying :frown: Hope you find something else!

I'm still waiting for feedback on my interview, the suspense is immense :biggrin:
Reply 1772
WhereIsMyMind
Unlike, Ooh ahh! A girl is pinching a bottle of vodka! (or whatever it is!)

Thats what that was?! i thought she was just pleased to find a bargain the way she walked away with it in her hand :rolleyes:
not long left to go... hopefully i can tell you all it was great and i feel at home etc :woo:
Haha, I thought she was happy with it too :P The man was stealing, but I didn't think she was :biggrin:

They called today! But I didn't have my phone on me! I called back and this woman told me to call back tomorrow morning and talk to HR. Hmm... can't decide if it's a good thing or bad thing!
The girl looked underage. That's what I put, anyway...

Sounds good to me, AwesomelyPsycho!
I hope so! It only took them a day to reply... so I'll give them a call tomorrow morning :smile: I'll keep you all posted!
Hope so too :biggrin:
Reply 1778
Grr! Clock in machines
Question i would love to know the answer to:
if you clock in early can you clock out early aswell?
Please say yes.
dannytee
Grr! Clock in machines
Question i would love to know the answer to:
if you clock in early can you clock out early aswell?
Please say yes.

No.

Latest

Trending

Trending