The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
iloveyouxx
no offence
but year12 and AS 'stress' is NOTHING compared to how us year 13s feel
if we dont get our grades
bye bye uni, hello clearing/failure

chill out because at the end of the day all schools want their pupils to do well resits or not

not that I'm actually THAT stressed about results myself but I know people who are and younger people putting themselves in the same boat is always a little irritating :smile:

Exactly, with year 13 its more understandable but year 12 seem to be as stressed as the year 13 which is crazy
iloveyouxx
no offence
but year12 and AS 'stress' is NOTHING compared to how us year 13s feel
if we dont get our grades
bye bye uni, hello clearing/failure

chill out because at the end of the day all schools want their pupils to do well resits or not

not that I'm actually THAT stressed about results myself but I know people who are and younger people putting themselves in the same boat is always a little irritating :smile:

:ditto: This is so true. Since we've been through both AS and A2 we know how different results day is for each of them. It's annoying when they hijack results day threads; AS and A2 are not the same people! :no:
Jesus Christ, I didn't hijack anyone's threads...I was just saying how I'm NOT stressed and I'm not going to be stressed at this time next year either because after you've taken the exams there's nothing you can do...so stress before going into the exam and stress on results day but don't stress on 10th August because there's no point.
I'm pretty sure things are always like this...people get annoyed when younger years are stressed about their mock exams or end of year exams and post on Facebook, year 10s and 11s used to get annoyed at SAT takers, A-level students get annoyed at GCSE students...it's all stupid. But you can't possibly disagree with the fact that AS levels are 50% of the total A-level...that's exactly how it's weighted...at the end of the day if you got a D at AS you're not going to be getting an A at A-level!!
(Oh and don't forget my year are now pressured to get top marks to achieve A*s, especially if they want to go to Oxbridge! And you can't do badly at AS and still achieve an A*. Just saying. As for me, I really don't care. )
Reply 23
missaphrodite
Jesus Christ, I didn't hijack anyone's threads...I was just saying how I'm NOT stressed and I'm not going to be stressed at this time next year either because after you've taken the exams there's nothing you can do...so stress before going into the exam and stress on results day but don't stress on 10th August because there's no point.
I'm pretty sure things are always like this...people get annoyed when younger years are stressed about their mock exams or end of year exams and post on Facebook, year 10s and 11s used to get annoyed at SAT takers, A-level students get annoyed at GCSE students...it's all stupid. But you can't possibly disagree with the fact that AS levels are 50% of the total A-level...that's exactly how it's weighted...at the end of the day if you got a D at AS you're not going to be getting an A at A-level!!
(Oh and don't forget my year are now pressured to get top marks to achieve A*s, especially if they want to go to Oxbridge! And you can't do badly at AS and still achieve an A*. Just saying. As for me, I really don't care. )

I have to agree with this.

Even at nearly 20 years old I don't look back at GCSE students - or even SAT students - and laugh and how worried they are. It's not our place to look back and say "that isn't important! :rolleyes:" because the idea of importance is relative to that person's situation. These people younger than us are really in exactly the same situation, if they do badly it could well be the end of their academic careers too.

When I was 16 I knew that my college required reasonably high grades, if I didn't get in then I'd probably have been off to work, with just GCSEs, that was pretty frightening. If my ASs had been bad then I wouldn't have been able to continue to A2 - and again I would probably have had to work. That's pretty much the same situation I'm in again now, every year it's just a different version of the same story. It would be naive to look back and laugh. Don't you think that PhD students could look back at MSc, BSc and certainly A2 students wondering why we are all worrying?

I wholeheartedly believe that certain ASers are stressing as much as (if not more than) me in some cases, it just depends on the person. It's certainly no easier for them either way. But, as above, there's little any of us can do now.
Craig_D
I have to agree with this.

Even at nearly 20 years old I don't look back at GCSE students - or even SAT students - and laugh and how worried they are. It's not our place to look back and say "that isn't important! :rolleyes:" because the idea of importance is relative to that person's situation. These people younger than us are really in exactly the same situation, if they do badly it could well be the end of their academic careers too.

When I was 16 I knew that my college required reasonably high grades, if I didn't get in then I'd probably have been off to work, with just GCSEs, that was pretty frightening. If my ASs had been bad then I wouldn't have been able to continue to A2 - and again I would probably have had to work. That's pretty much the same situation I'm in again now, every year it's just a different version of the same story. It would be naive to look back and laugh. Don't you think that PhD students could look back at MSc, BSc and certainly A2 students wondering why we are all worrying?

I wholeheartedly believe that certain ASers are stressing as much as (if not more than) me in some cases, it just depends on the person. It's certainly no easier for them either way. But, as above, there's little any of us can do now.

Thanks Craig, my post was only intended to agree with the original OP that whoever should be enjoying the next 10 days rather than stressing because there's really no point in doing that, whatever kind of results you're waiting for. If you think about it, GCSEs are actually the most important exams because without those, you literally can't do anything in the world of work, other than perhaps vocational work, at a push. I can understand people stressing that they won't meet their conditional offer and get their first choice university, but it's really not the end of the world if you don't...you have your insurance, clearing and then there's always next year! I'm not saying it's the end of the world if you flunk your AS levels, but for me personally, if I don't do well in them, my parents are pulling me out of sixth form and making me look for a job, so it's bye-bye university anyway.
Reply 25
missaphrodite
Thanks Craig, my post was only intended to agree with the original OP that whoever should be enjoying the next 10 days rather than stressing because there's really no point in doing that, whatever kind of results you're waiting for. If you think about it, GCSEs are actually the most important exams because without those, you literally can't do anything in the world of work, other than perhaps vocational work, at a push. I can understand people stressing that they won't meet their conditional offer and get their first choice university, but it's really not the end of the world if you don't...you have your insurance, clearing and then there's always next year! I'm not saying it's the end of the world if you flunk your AS levels, but for me personally, if I don't do well in them, my parents are pulling me out of sixth form and making me look for a job, so it's bye-bye university anyway.

Indeed, and you really hit on something that I didn't in the middle there. Yes, when you look at it, GSCEs are waaay more important than degrees or Advanced levels or BTECs or whatever else there is. They may be easier (though perhaps not at the time!) but without them you probably wouldn't be able to earn enough to eat ... well maybe a slight exaggeration, but you get the point; however, you can't say that about failing A Levels and not making it to uni if you already have GCSEs. GCSEs alone could at least find you a basic job. So that's a very good point you make. You can't really reach the top of the ladder if you don't get your foot on the first step? :dontknow:

Your parents are harsh! :woo: No retakes or anything either? That's every bit as stressful as where I am! And obviously it's hard to get uni offers at all with bad AS Levels. But I think in your particular case you have very little to worry about! :smile: Yes, I did just do the obligatory check for gcse grades to confirm that :p:

Despite all that, I agree with your original post, there's little any of us can do now. It's best to just try and enjoy the next 9 days rather than driving ourselves mad with worry and giving ourselves aneurysms. Thinking about getting the results won't improve them at all. Perhaps we could all just focus this energy into revising more next year? Then none of us would need to worry!

And Emma, good luck with your results :yep:
Craig_D
Indeed, and you really hit on something that I didn't in the middle there. Yes, when you look at it, GSCEs are waaay more important than degrees or Advanced levels or BTECs or whatever else there is. They may be easier (though perhaps not at the time!) but without them you probably wouldn't be able to earn enough to eat ... well maybe a slight exaggeration, but you get the point; however, you can't say that about failing A Levels and not making it to uni if you already have GCSEs. GCSEs alone could at least find you a basic job. So that's a very good point you make. You can't really reach the top of the ladder if you don't get your foot on the first step? :dontknow:

Your parents are harsh! :woo: No retakes or anything either? That's every bit as stressful as where I am! And obviously it's hard to get uni offers at all with bad AS Levels. But I think in your particular case you have very little to worry about! :smile: Yes, I did just do the obligatory check for gcse grades to confirm that :p:

Despite all that, I agree with your original post, there's little any of us can do now. It's best to just try and enjoy the next 9 days rather than driving ourselves mad with worry and giving ourselves aneurisms. Thinking about getting the results won't improve them at all. Perhaps we could all just focus this energy into revising more next year? Then none of us would need to worry!

And Emma, good luck with your results :yep:

Thanks! Haha, don't be so sure, I really haven't worked this year at all! Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't pass everything...
My parents are basically aware that I haven't put enough effort in during the past year (because of unrelated stresses) and particularly not enough effort in the revision period, so they're basically saying that if I've messed up I have to face the consequences and no retakes...they really could do with some more income coming in so I don't blame them.
Also, my school seriously frowns upon retakes and declares the FIRST results on UCAS, so yeah, retakes really not going to happen!
Really no point in worrying about something you can't change though :smile:
Reply 27
missaphrodite
Thanks! Haha, don't be so sure, I really haven't worked this year at all! Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't pass everything...
My parents are basically aware that I haven't put enough effort in during the past year (because of unrelated stresses) and particularly not enough effort in the revision period, so they're basically saying that if I've messed up I have to face the consequences and no retakes...they really could do with some more income coming in so I don't blame them.
Also, my school seriously frowns upon retakes and declares the FIRST results on UCAS, so yeah, retakes really not going to happen!
Really no point in worrying about something you can't change though :smile:

I know that feeling so well :yes: those problems can definitely affect. It's surprising though that you came out and was honest with them yet they jumped on you :s-smilie: Maybe if you're close when the results actually come your parents will take pity and let you carry on,

Most importantly, you don't need to be in a college or school to do a retake, even if you carry on next year but want a specific exam retaking then you can do it as an external candidate, the details are on all of the exam board's websites. It's what I think I'll do next year, whilst probably working in burger king, if all goes wrong, just a thought.
All this is going to make me worry about it soon :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending