The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hey1001
Bristol = 8A*/A's check website it says specifically. in FAQ

You only get credit for up to 8A*/A. You don't need to have 8 though as the competition seems to show you may need at least 8A*/A.
Reply 41
8EnglishRoses
It is a load of rubbish. Yes it is true that Maths may be more respected by some than Psychology but you're not at any disadvantage if you take Psychology over Maths because the university doesn't care. If they did, it would be a requirement. The OP should choose the subjects they will enjoy the most because they will be more likely to do well in them.

Its not aload of rubbish at all, unis cant make their requirements too strict as they wouldnt get enough applications, so they leave it more open, but if an admission tutor were to be brutally honest with you im sure they would admit that an A in maths is considerably more impressive than an A in psychology when they chose who to make an offer to
wombat678
Hi guys, I have 3 GCSEs that I took a year early and got 3 x B.
Now due to a death of someone close to me I will not get the A*`s and As that I was predicted and I think I will get Mainly Bs with the odd A. Do medical schools account for extenuating circumstances??

Yes, they will - you just need to make sure it's mentioned in your reference. However, you'll still need to do very very well in your ASs to make up for it. I had surgery and had to take 2 months off earlier this year, missing a lot of lessons and the January modules. BSMS said 'tough' to me and so, unless I've got 2 As and 2 Bs this year, I'm screwed (NB, this is because I didn't do fantastically in my GCSEs). So, you'll be okay unless you don't do well next year. Were the exam boards informed of your bereavement? You should get extra marks, hopefully bringing up your grade to what it should've been.
Woody91
Its not aload of rubbish at all, unis cant make their requirements too strict as they wouldnt get enough applications, so they leave it more open, but if an admission tutor were to be brutally honest with you im sure they would admit that an A in maths is considerably more impressive than an A in psychology when they chose who to make an offer to

We are talking about medicine. They get more than enough applications. Whether or not they make you an offer is not even based on academia anyway, it's based on performance at interview. Are you even a medical student?
8EnglishRoses
We are talking about medicine. They get more than enough applications. Whether or not they make you an offer is not even based on academia anyway, it's based on performance at interview. Are you even a medical student?

like 95% of people giving out advice in the medical forum, probably not
sidewalkwhenshewalks
like 95% of people giving out advice in the medical forum, probably not

I know right! I just feel bad for people who take their advice, especially if it leads to them making the wrong decision about their application.
8EnglishRoses
I know right! I just feel bad for people who take their advice, especially if it leads to them making the wrong decision about their application.

It makes me really cross because I got some bad advice about my less than convential application last year and it very nearly screwed things up for me, so now im on a crusade to call people out on talking ********

PS Im not a medical student until september, so maybe a touch of hypocrisy in my last post :biggrin:
:getmecoat:
sidewalkwhenshewalks
It makes me really cross because I got some bad advice about my less than convential application last year and it very nearly screwed things up for me, so now im on a crusade to call people out on talking ********

PS Im not a medical student until september, so maybe a touch of hypocrisy in my last post :biggrin:
:getmecoat:

Haha it still counts don't worry! People who haven't been through the process of applying for medical schools really don't understand how different it is from applying to most other courses. Too bad about it nearly ruining your application but at least it's sorted now! Good luck and I hope you enjoy your first year.
8EnglishRoses
Haha it still counts don't worry! People who haven't been through the process of applying for medical schools really don't understand how different it is from applying to most other courses. Too bad about it nearly ruining your application but at least it's sorted now! Good luck and I hope you enjoy your first year.

Thank you :yes:
felt_monkey
Yes, they will - you just need to make sure it's mentioned in your reference. However, you'll still need to do very very well in your ASs to make up for it. I had surgery and had to take 2 months off earlier this year, missing a lot of lessons and the January modules. BSMS said 'tough' to me and so, unless I've got 2 As and 2 Bs this year, I'm screwed (NB, this is because I didn't do fantastically in my GCSEs). So, you'll be okay unless you don't do well next year. Were the exam boards informed of your bereavement? You should get extra marks, hopefully bringing up your grade to what it should've been.

thanks, makes me feel a little better. The exam boards werent informed unfortunately :frown: But I have social servces letters etc as well as other documentation that could be submitted to university. As long as they take extenuating circumstances into consideration I should be ok
Reply 50
Woody91

there isnt any maffs in the medicine course that is remotely any more difficult than the statistics in A lvl psychology, even in 5th year, and probably even in the medical career itself.
Reply 51
Thanks for all the replies folks, think I've sussed it, think the 6 year course is the way to go, requirements like 5 A*-C and 3 A Level (BBC), and I'd just have to work for another year at it. Gonna stick with psychology because I'd rather do something I enjoy and get great results than a sucky maths grade because I hate the subject.
2 years a levels, 6 years at a medschool (hopefully) and I'll see you all in 8 years :P Composing a list now of all the schools I meet the requirements for at GCSE, anyone know where I can get a list of the 6 year courses?
Thanks again for all the comments, been enlightening.
Val733
Thanks for all the replies folks, think I've sussed it, think the 6 year course is the way to go, requirements like 5 A*-C and 3 A Level (BBC), and I'd just have to work for another year at it. Gonna stick with psychology because I'd rather do something I enjoy and get great results than a sucky maths grade because I hate the subject.
2 years a levels, 6 years at a medschool (hopefully) and I'll see you all in 8 years :P Composing a list now of all the schools I meet the requirements for at GCSE, anyone know where I can get a list of the 6 year courses?
Thanks again for all the comments, been enlightening.

Try:
http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=79:wink:
Reply 53
Woody91

Even with AAA, medical schools could fill their numbers up several times over - all with seemingly brilliant individuals who all have the academic horsepower to plow through the course, the question is not if they have brains, but are they the right people for the course? To be brutally honest you don't know anything about medical applications; GCSEs are not the be all and end all of things, people can do very well in medical school with supposedly underwhelming GCSEs.....Just a thought.
Reply 54
I'm closing this thread as it's a duplicate to one that has already been merged with the 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine Angst Thread' and the OP has had an answer in both now.

Latest

Trending

Trending