Anthropology degree personal statement example (1c) UCL offer

Recently, I attended events at the 'London Anthropology day' which offered an authentic insight into the world of Anthropology at degree level and introduced me to concepts in biological and social areas. Having read the text 'Small Places, Large Issues: An Introduction to Social and Cultural Anthropology' I have become increasingly keen to understand humanity and the complexities within the modern and pre-modern world. Through studying Sociology I have uncovered and explored aspects of western culture such as issues with religion and family, which I found complex and compelling. I am especially keen to apply this knowledge to societies less familiar to me. By studying social and anthropological disciplines I believe I can assess numerous cultural similarities and differences between communities on a macro and micro level, which will fulfil and stimulate my growing interest in the contemporary, classical and organic attributes of being human.

Travelling to a variety of locations covering Europe and Africa has offered me a unique insight into the diversity around the globe and has given me a taste of cities rich in culture. Moreover, having family in Morocco means extensive travel is a frequent experience for me and I have gained a candid understanding of the beliefs, values and norms held by the inhibitants. Furthermore, an article recently published in the Sociology Review entitled 'New Ethnic Identities' stood out to me as it examined key issues with hybrid ethnicity and questioned the role in which popular culture plays within forming ethnic identities in Britain. Being from a dual background myself I empathise completely with the matters addressed; I am also interested in human genetics and the concept of heterozygosity and how the selection process is, if at all, changing the population and human species. During my degree I aim to broaden my knowledge on ethnicity, race and identity in social and ancestral contexts.

My current A-level subjects have made me well-rounded learner as they call for me to think both literally and creatively. Sociology has not only opened my eyes to numerous issues in the modern world but has also allowed me to gain confidence in expressing myself through debates and group work. On the other hand, English Literature has introduced me to numerous texts, my favourites being of American descent as they fed my interest in American culture. It also enriched my essay writing skills and well as enhanced my analytical and communication abilities. These skills assisted me when undergoing a work placement at Maple Down School for teenagers with severe learning and physical disabilities as the job required me to complete educational and entertainment tasks with the pupils, hence communication was key for building rapport. My love of literature led me to attend a book club which introduced me to diverse, challenging texts and discussing them has enhanced my ability to express myself with clarity and fluency. Also, my self motivation landed me a top score in both my Sociology exams and I achieved 190/200 marks in my AS level and I won an award for year 12 effort and achievement.

Outside of my education I take great interest in music and film and on numerous occasions I have helped to promote bands through street teams of which I have gained a sense of responsibility. In addition, I have annually attended events at the BFI London Film Festival and I am a fan of culturally vivid films from America especially if they allow me to gain a wider awareness of the unparalleled changes occurring in the west. Besides entertainment, I take great pride in volunteering and have worked at Oxfam over a period of a year. Charity work is something I aim to continue in life and I hope to enter work in development fields. As of yet I would be the first person in my entire family to go to university and I am certain, if given the opportunity, I will excel and take advantage of every opportunity offered to me.

• UCL - offer AAA Firm
  • Manchester - offer ABB
  • SOAS - offer AAB
  • Goldsmiths - offer ABB
  • Birmingham (Anthropology and American Studies) - offer BBB Insurance