Personal Statement:Politics and English 2

Personal Statement Politics and English

At university I propose to study a joint honours degree in Politics and English thus intertwine all the skills I have invaluably learnt at A level

My effervescent personality comes into its own in my English studies

Here I can be absorbed into a faery world - I am my own Titania - and I feel able to see the world through my own dimensions. This does not however distance me from the occasionally gritty realities of life

Because of my perceptive and articulate nature I have also been privileged to interpret writing from many different points of view

On the other hand, Chemistry anchors me to the world of physical tendencies; grounding me and bringing me back from the floating world of imagery and literature. These courses have helped discipline me and in turn have helped me become much more rigorous in my approach towards English and History

I feel I have huge potential in the study of History. My desire to interpret the world is kept more factual and I am working to continually mature and adapt the style of my work to suit my own individual interests and approach to the subject matter. My understanding of why people do what they do is expanding and allied to my study of English I feel strongly that this has helped me in becoming myself

So far during my school career I have received awards for outstanding performance in Geography, English and Sport, and Theatre, which prove my academic flair, athletic ability and theatrical potential. I have represented Cumbria at hockey, swimming, high jump and netball, and the North of England in synchronized swimming; I am confident that I now have the qualities of a mature, assertive team leader. I have been successful both as a senior prefect and captain of various sports teams. My team-building qualifications, amassed from the various residential courses I have attended, and leadership of my successful Young Enterprise business, "Firefly" candle manufactures, have all been invaluable to my practice as a swimming teacher. I am confident that politics will bring together my social and academic skills and team-leading prowess

The expressive arts have helped me develop another dimension both to my personality and to my interests. My appearances as an actress in numerous plays (the most recent being in 'Billy Liar' in June and July of this year for a local theatre company) have given me self-confidence and a genuine passion for performance art. As a musician I have recently passed Grade 7 flute. I play both in the senior flute choir and a local orchestra where I play first flute

Possibly my proudest attainment to date is the publishing of my poetry. Currently I have had two of my poems published and indeed I am told that I have been regarded as 'world amateur poet semi-finalist' by the organisation 'Poetry.com'

I have great ambitions, and the self-determination to carry me through a challenging university degree. If I am successful in obtaining the offer of a university place, I intend to defer my entry. I have made plans to travel to Europe and Asia to broaden cultural horizons and to teach as a volunteer worker. Travel has always held a magical allure for me, and I am looking forward to the chance to experience different cultures and ways of life. I feel the experiences will enlighten me and help me focus on my future at university and beyond

I have always had a keen interest in all four disciplines indicated

In English, I can show flair. In History I like to argue. Politics may bring out both of these qualities. I am enwrapped in international relations and see urgency for morality, honesty and a deep understanding to prevail in our world. My organised approach and sparkling charisma will be enhanced through university life. I want a chance to prove myself and attain the career I have dreamt of since infancy so to make any difference in other peoples lives, be it through a media, politics or a combination of the two mediums

I have been interested in America ever since my trip to New York in 1998. We stayed for two weeks and I became fascinated with the people, the culture and the history. My A/S and A level choices have reflected this continued absorption with the comparisons and contrasts between the British and American way of life. In Film Studies we have studied old and new Hollywood and its films in depth. This has given me a greater insight into American culture, values and society. Reading"Easy Riders, Raging Bulls" by Peter Biskind, which is about Hollywood in the 1960's and the changes that happened then helped develop my knowledge. We also study Film Noir, known as "The American Nightmare"

This gave me an insight into the American way of life and also the human psyche

The intriguing comparisons and differences between British and American cultures were illustrated in many of my Sociology lessons. In particular we studied the events of September 11th and the reasons and effects of that day

To further my knowledge of America I have read " Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal" by Eric Schlosser which talks about the rapid rise of fast food chains and the changes they have made to the American landscape, economy, diet and workforce. I am currently reading "Why Do People Hate America", whichtalks about how Americans appear to have lost touch with reality in their politics and culture

My subjects at college have taught me to be enquiring and resourceful

I enjoy working on my own on coursework projects but I am also good as part of a team. I enjoy debate and am articulate and gregarious

This year, as well as my A levels I have chosen to take a course in Spanish for Beginners. I have been to Spain several times and love the language. I also thought this would be important as, eventually, I wish to go and live in America and as 13% of the country's population is Hispanic I thought it would be useful to learn

I am also taking a welding course because I enjoy doing practical work and I don't get much of an opportunity to do this during college hours

Outside of college I have had several part time jobs. These have given me the opportunity to take responsibility not only for myself but also for the others that I have trained

I enjoy working and playing on computers and am competent with most aspects of IT and the Internet

I am taking a gap year so I can travel to Spain and Australia. I will also be joining an organisation such as Camp America or BUNAC so I can work in and see more of America and have more interactions with Americans

I decided on these degree courses because of my fascination with America and the differences between the American way of life and my own

If I were to describe myself I would say that I am hard working and inquisitive. I am not afraid to tackle a challenge. I believe I am disciplined and energetic as well as being sociable. I look forward to an enjoyable and interesting new course at university and the new challenges it will I have also had a fascination with the political world and the workings of government. Our understanding of politics is vital to society awareness of the position of power in a nation and the role of the state in the construction of the social order

My interest in politics and social science has increased with the study of A-level politics and feel that it has prepared me for the transition to university. It has also enabled me to investigate and analysis the historical and social importance of different political ideologies. Throughout the course, I have been able to read a wide variety of political texts, ranging from the work of ancient political theorists such as Plato's Republic and Politics by Aristotle to modern analyses such as Friedman and Hayek. The relevance of current affairs to politics also enables me to use my political knowledge to explore current political event and have a greater understanding of International Relations

The combination of A-level subjects that I am studying at the moment gives me a large variety of skills, which are important to the continued study of Politics at Degree level. Physics and Mathematics has given me the ability to process relevant data and critical examine important information; I also feel that it has given me the mathematical ability to understand the economics consequences of political decisions. English Literature has introduced me to a wider variety of texts and literature and increased my communication skills

Outside of my academic subject, I enjoy playing Rugbyand have been represented my nation at international level. We also have the opportunity of participating in the ASDAN University Award Program, which covers key skills

As a career I would enjoy working in a public or political institution, I am especially interested in the work of the civil service and the media and would like to investigate the opportunity of employment in these occupations. I feel that a degree in I have chosen to study International Politics at degree level due to my enjoyment of Politics classes at A-Level. In particular I have enjoyed studying domestic British Politics and British Foreign Policies in the period 1865-1965, but I would really like to broaden my knowledge by studying global political developments. My interest in the subject has increased with the unravelling of recent political crises and other international developments. My own experience of living in the former Soviet Union, witnessing the turmoil during the break up of the Union and then moving to England has been very important in developing my interest in International Politics. I still follow the developments in Russian and East European domestic and foreign policies by reading a weekly Russian newspaper, Sputnik Novosti. Moreover my work experience in a government employment agency, JobCentre, and the description of the course in prospectuses confirmed my interest in International Politics and in the long term I aim to use my degree to pursue a career in the Civil Service

I have had experience in a variety of work areas. For my Bronze Duke of Edinburgh I completed two weeks voluntary work in Northolt Care Home for elderly people, where my duties included cleaning the rooms and general care for the residents. Having completed my Bronze Award I am now working towards Silver having completed everything except the expedition. I also have had two weeks voluntary training with the London Fire Brigade also for my Award. My work experience at the JobCentre included filing and retrieving customer files, redirecting telephone calls, and general advice. Finally, I have had a work placement in a retail store where I held the position of General Assistant and I was responsible for cash and also had to keep record of the stock and order new stock when needed

In the Sixth Form I am a member of The Chess Association and regularly play chess with fellow members. As part of my geography course I have attended a field trip to Devon, where fieldwork on human geography was completed

Outside school I have a number of interests. Sport is very important and I am a member of a local racing cycling club, which I attend regularly every Saturday, also I attend karate sessions every Sunday

When I am not working out, my spare time is used to keep up to date with the current affairs through broadsheet newspapers, websites or watching news. I enjoy watching documentaries such as the documentary weighing up the arguments for and against an attack Iraq. Of course I also enjoy listening to a wide variety of music and reading non-fiction, especially on historical and political topics like The European Dictatorships 1918-1945 and I also read weekly periodicals such as Private Eye and Economist. Finally I have my own personal computer which I use for research and presentation purposes.

This statement is too long for a UCAS Application. A shortened version of this statement can be found at Personal Statement:Politics and English 1