Personal Statement:Linguistics 1

Literature delights me; the chance to analyse and explore the linguistic styles of some of the foremost figures of our literary heritage is, to me, fascinating. In-depth analysis of the language of numerous Shakespeare plays has inspired me to learn more about the roots of our own language and etymology. The way in which Shakespeare often offset syntactically similar phrases with contrasting semantics, conjuring complex and breathtaking wordplay, was the particular facet of his language that initially drew my attention. It is this underlying subtle complexity of linguistics that enthralls me, and the ability of the human mind to manipulate it with such ease and fluidity. As such, I have sought external sources of information on linguistics, and found The Articulate Mammal by Jean Aitchinson a particularly captivating read.

This interest in analysis is not confined to language; my study of Physics and Mathematics at A-level has deepened my understanding of statistical analysis. The empirical nature of Physics in particular has elevated my ability to apply myself methodically, and furthered my interest in the mechanics and intrinsic complexities of our everyday environment. It has also enabled me to enhance my own systematic application of logic on a daily basis, supplementing my problem-solving abilities and facilitating my participation in reasoned debate. I have also come to recognise and appreciate the satisfaction that completion of complex tasks can offer.

I am committed to art both in my spare time and as an academic subject, and think of art as communication in perhaps its rawest form, exhibited by visual media. The function of art as almost a physical testament to an individual idea or theme, and the fact that a single piece can convey such a variety of meanings at once is what I personally find most inspiring about the subject.

Perhaps a factor that has fuelled my enthusiasm for linguistics and communication in general has been my brother. He is autistic, and as such has various communication difficulties. Over the years of his development having been treated by occupational therapists and speech therapists, I have witnessed aspects of his speech and language that have flourished, and others that have yet to be fully developed. Thus, I have developed an acute desire to study the inner functions of language, and to understand further the idiosyncrasies of my brother's condition.

As a direct result of my brother's required treatment, I recently achieved a placement assisting at the London Children's Practice, a centre of excellence that employs a multi-faceted approach to tackling developmental disorders, including speech and language therapy. My time at the centre involved my participation in a session of speech and language therapy, as well as a comprehensive discussion with the speech therapist. During this time I was able to inquire both about the wider field of developmental disorders, and the more specific areas of speech and language difficulties. The placement resulted in an enrichment of my understanding of the professions into which a course such as linguistics can lead, and as such my interest in the field has been significantly intensified.

Linking these multifarious areas of interest is linguistics. I believe that co-operation lies at the root of all progression and development, and that such collaboration is made possible only by virtue of language. As such, the diversity of applications to which linguistics can be put is unfathomable, possibly even innumerable. It is perhaps this innate universality within linguistics that best captures the essence of my interest in the field, and expresses my desire to study it at university level. I believe the flexibility that such a degree as linguistics offers will prepare me for a variety of possible career paths, and the knowledge and skills that I will gain from the course will prove both academically and personally beneficial.

• University College London (Linguistics) - Offer (ABB) Firm

• English Literature (A2) - A
  • Mathematics (A2) - B
  • Physics (A2) - B
  • Art (AS) - A

I have now finished my course at UCL, taking a first class honours.