The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine (A100) Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by issy2
does anyone know roughly how the interview scoring works?

You are scored out of 30. Each of the two interviewers gives you a score out of 15.

Without having to state the obvious, the criteria will be based on certain categories of questions and your overall competency in the interview. I will not go into details regarding this as it is pretty self-explanatory and I don't know the specifics myself.

Original post by mubashir9995
Ohh thanks!!
Btw the information that you have given about the 5 years of the medical course on the first page of this thread, is that for the new curriculum ( starting from 2014) or the old curriculum, and if we have to talk about the medical course at our interview, should we talk about the new or the old curriculum?

It is about the old curriculum. The new curriculum structure has only been outlined and as such there is no detailed information regarding it. However, for the academic year 2014-15, only the curriculum in years 1 and 3 will change. The following academic year (2015-16) will see changes in structure for years 2 and 4 (possibly 5).
Reply 741
Original post by Kyalimers
You are scored out of 30. Each of the two interviewers gives you a score out of 15.

Without having to state the obvious, the criteria will be based on certain categories of questions and your overall competency in the interview. I will not go into details regarding this as it is pretty self-explanatory and I don't know the specifics myself.

It is about the old curriculum. The new curriculum structure has only been outlined and as such there is no detailed information regarding it. However, for the academic year 2014-15, only the curriculum in years 1 and 3 will change. The following academic year (2015-16) will see changes in structure for years 2 and 4 (possibly 5).

Why would they want the old curriculum when people who are going to Liverpool in 2014 wont use it at all as changes will take place in year 1 & 3 and by the time we reach second year in 2015 the further changes will take place again??
Reply 742
Original post by foximus
Why would they want the old curriculum when people who are going to Liverpool in 2014 wont use it at all as changes will take place in year 1 & 3 and by the time we reach second year in 2015 the further changes will take place again??

Firstly, that post was made prior to changes being announced to the course.

Secondly, if you can actually find any information at all regarding details about the new first year course, you are more than welcome to enlighten us all. I know for a fact that the structure and content of the new course is still being discussed and finalised. As such, only a handful of people in the medical school will know what the outline of the new course is. Furthermore, there is quite clearly a bolded and highlighted sentence warning prospective medical students that the course details are subject to change for 2014 entry.
Reply 743
The email I received said that changes will be implemented in 2014 and since for our time at the medical school we wouldn't use the old curriculum, would there not be a greater focus about what the new curriculum contains.
Yes, I'm aware details of the curriculum are unknown to us yet but general changes have been stated such as no longer using problem based learning, but still case based learning and early patient contact, also info about assessment strategies and how work placements are going to be structured, systems based approach etc and since these changes would affect us throughout the whole time at Liverpool what good is the old curriculum just out of curiosity? Unless they asked you more of a comparative question about the 2 curriculum's. I don't doubt it's just I find it weird
Reply 744
Firstly, that post was made prior to changes being announced to the course.

Secondly, if you can actually find any information at all regarding details about the new first year course, you are more than welcome to enlighten us all. I know for a fact that the structure and content of the new course is still being discussed and finalised. As such, only a handful of people in the medical school will know what the outline of the new course is. Furthermore, there is quite clearly a bolded and highlighted sentence warning prospective medical students that the course details are subject to change for 2014 entry.

sorry I just realized when you said 'old curriculum' you were referring to what your OP described. I thought you were saying that the old curriculum is what they will ask you about in interview. No wonder didn't make sense
I was reading the admissions supplement and came across this:

For both the A100 and A101 programmes, it is usual that, unless issues of concern have been raised, the overall interview-scores are ranked, and the top-scoring applicants are made an offer. In making borderline decisions, it may be necessary to make offers based on the combination of both academic achievement/potential and the interview score of the applicant. Any other relevant information that relates to our academic and non-academic criteria and which is available to the Admissions Tutor may also be a factor in the decision-making process.

Does this mean it is possible and common to receive a post-interview rejection due to academics?
Reply 746
Original post by foximus
sorry I just realized when you said 'old curriculum' you were referring to what your OP described. I thought you were saying that the old curriculum is what they will ask you about in interview. No wonder didn't make sense

I was indeed referring to the OP.

I didn't answer the interview question; simply because it is quite obvious. They will not ask questions about the curriculum in detail this year so I imagine if you know how case-based discussions work (not dissimilarly to PBL), it will suffice.

For those who don't know, the key aspects are generally:

- team work
- working independently at home
- communicating effectively
- delegating tasks (as a chair)
- assessing and reasoning clinical scenarios

I encourage all prospective applicants to read the overview of changes before interview (found in OP).
Reply 747
Original post by Rumschpringe
I was reading the admissions supplement and came across this:

Does this mean it is possible and common to receive a post-interview rejection due to academics?

Possible, but not at all common.

I've taken a quick look at the statistics:

50% of those interviewed with a GCSE score of 1-14 were given an offer (how many of these are international applicants is not possible to say).

30% of those with a GCSE score of 15 or 15.5 received an offer.

36% of those with a GCSE score of 16 or 16.5 received an offer.

44% of those with a GCSE score of 17 or 17.5 received an offer.

53% of those with a GCSE score of 18 received an offer.

Edit: The statistics above are for those who had an interview and not for all applicants.

So academics may play a slight role for students who have a GCSE score of 15-16 in receiving a post-interview offer; however, interview score is still the major and deciding factor.
(edited 10 years ago)
Possible, but not at all common.

I've taken a quick look at the statistics:

50% of those interviewed with a GCSE score of 1-14 were given an offer (how many of these are international applicants is not possible to say).

30% of those with a GCSE score of 15 or 15.5 received an offer.

36% of those with a GCSE score of 16 or 16.5 received an offer.

44% of those with a GCSE score of 17 or 17.5 received an offer.

53% of those with a GCSE score of 18 received an offer.

So academics may play a slight role for students who have a GCSE score of 15-16 in receiving a post-interview offer; however, interview score is still the major and deciding factor.

Thanks for this!
So what about AS levels/A2s? I'm a resitting candidate, so would they look at the grades of the subjects I'm resitting or would it be solely based on GCSE points?
Reply 749
Thanks for this!
So what about AS levels/A2s? I'm a resitting candidate, so would they look at the grades of the subjects I'm resitting or would it be solely based on GCSE points?

I don't quite understand what you mean by this?

They will still look at your GCSE score but I would imagine they would also like to see your resit grade at A2 (this would obviously be part of your conditional offer if you were to receive one).

Other factors to consider would include your PS.
I don't quite understand what you mean by this?

They will still look at your GCSE score but I would imagine they would also like to see your resit grade at A2 (this would obviously be part of your conditional offer if you were to receive one).

Other factors to consider would include your PS.

I achieved ACC last August (with some mitigating circumstances) - I'm resitting the subjects I got Cs in, and predicted AA.
So what I was asking was if those Cs would have any influence on my overall application score; or if are they ignored and only my AS levels/A2 predictions considered (as well as GCSE)
Reply 751
What is the situation with Liverpool and intercalated BScs? Which year and abroad?
Original post by foximus
What is the situation with Liverpool and intercalated BScs? Which year and abroad?

Intercalate after fourth year, elective 3rd year. Although this may change with the new curriculum.
Reply 753
Original post by Richyp22
Intercalate after fourth year, elective 3rd year. Although this may change with the new curriculum.

This is not the case.

Intercalation is between 4th and 5th year as stated but elective is now after 4th year finals during the summer.

It is unlikely that these two things will change in the new curriculum.
Original post by foximus

I don't think you can intercalate abroad, no. But you can do an ERASMUS exchange programme in 5th year instead of a SAMP where you will be able to go abroad. Competition for this is tough and places limited so there is usually an application process.
Reply 754
I achieved ACC last August (with some mitigating circumstances) - I'm resitting the subjects I got Cs in, and predicted AA.
So what I was asking was if those Cs would have any influence on my overall application score; or if are they ignored and only my AS levels/A2 predictions considered (as well as GCSE)

Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with the school's resit policy so I'm afraid I can't confidently answer that question!
Reply 755
Does anyone know when Liverpool start interviewing again ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 756
Original post by mutlibd1
Does anyone know when Liverpool start interviewing again ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe they already have.
Reply 757
With electives, are u able to go anyway in the world you like for Liverpool?
Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with the school's resit policy so I'm afraid I can't confidently answer that question!

Ahh that's okay, thanks for your help anyway :smile:
Reply 759
Original post by foximus
With electives, are u able to go anyway in the world you like for Liverpool?

Yes. Liverpool will only stop you from going to countries which the Foreign Office consider too dangerous.

The problem, if there was to be one, will be with host institutions. Some don't offer electives to students who are not in their final year of medical school whilst others will only offer electives to foreign students at certain times of the year. For the most part, this is never really an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending