The Student Room Group

TSR's One Album a Day Club

Scroll to see replies

Did no one else have a crack at klaatu 3:47 est?

I quite liked it! Some tracks were a little too 'out there' for me but overall quite nice. 5.5/10
Album 37

Up next something a little more modern!

Charli XCX - Charli

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/386IqvSuljaZsMjwDGGdLj?si=y9HRn7XcRsmP0xSzyiXsYg
Klaatu - 3:47 EST

Kinda odd. Not sure I'd listen to it again, but it wasn't bad - 5/10
Charli XCX - Charli

Next Level Charli - Could've been worse I guess

Gone (feat. Christine and the Queens) - Was pretty okay until 3 minutes in.

Cross You Out (feat Sky Ferreira) - Does music get more repetitive than this?

1999 (feat. Troye Sivan) - Kinda liked

Click (feat. Kim Petras and Tommy Cash) - You have money? No way. Ending was painful.

Warm (feat. HAIM) - Okay

Thoughts - No

Blame It On Your Love (feat. Lizzo) - First half was okay

White Mercedes - Not bad

Silver Cross - Okay but too high-pitched

I Don't Wanna Know - Not good

Official - Pretty good

Shake It (feat. Everyone) - Not music. Probably the worst song I've ever listened to

February 2017 (feat. Clairo and Yaeji) - Didn't really like it

2099 (feat. Troye Sivan) - Terrible

Not sure why the accent is necessary. Generic pop themes. 2/10
Charli XCX - Charli

Next Level Charli - Wasn't bad, until she started... singing?

Gone - Guest staring Christine and the Queens, as one of the better Mura Masa songs did. This did nothing at all for me, though.

Cross You Out - Best so far, by a long shot, but not exciting.

1999 - If you're going back in time, at least pick a better year. :noway:

Click - Some things sure go click, swear filter don't like Richard, song makes me feel sick. Seriously, the ending left me with a bad earache. :indiff:

Warm - Boring.

Thoughts - Like wolves howling over a police siren, heard through an especially tinny speaker. Pure noise pollution.

Blame It on Your Love - Passable.

White Mercedes - BETTER. :coma: Thought this could be my first 0/10 album, but this track wasn't bad at all.

Silver Cross - Meh.

I Don't Wanna Know - Not horrendous, just not to my tastes.

Official - Okay.

Shake It - I guess this is the modern equivalent of Klaatu's psychedelia? Shake it elsewhere, please. :yucky:

February 2017 - Well it's preferable to Shake It, thankfully. Korean at the end got my attention, haven't a clue what it means though.

2099 - Right, we're done here! :yay:

The one good song and 2-3 okayish ones might have led to a higher score, if this was your usual ~10 track album... but there were 15 of them, and a couple actually caused me physical pain. 1/10
If we're allowed to suggest albums, could we at some point have Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory and Fountains Of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers
klaatu - 3:47 est
interesting sounding album, though i won't be rushing back to listen to it i think. nice mix of sounds and genres, not unpleasant background music. sir bodsworth was weird at the beginning but an actually pretty good song, as was calling occupants of interplanetary craft.

5/10
boy these reviews are filling me with hope
charli xcx - charli

ah i love this album :grin::excited:

next level charli - a strong opening song to the album, the beginning is how i'd imagine stars to sound like. so exciting to listen to musically and overall a really good mood booster. love it.

2099 (ft. troye sivan) - initially i didn't like this song but i've grown to really like it. lyrically not the most complex but i love the production on this, the futuristic vision was strong in this closing track

white mercedes - lyrically probably one of my favourite tracks on the album. this one's more lowkey but a very good listen regardless.

thoughts - the music goes so so well with this song. sounds exactly like something you'd listen to in a car at night. definitely like the music towards the end especially.

gone (ft. christine and the queens) - i bloody love this song, especially the chorus:heart: two voices go well together and it's a satisfying listen

warm (ft. haim) - i have some memories and emotions attached to this song which makes it all the more special and sometimes difficult to listen to. could be a bit more interesting musically but i really like the lyrics on this one.

cross you out (ft. sky ferreira) - :coma:

silver cross - very good this one too :yep:

click (ft. kim petras and tommy cash) - this one grew on me too! chaotic sounding but actually pretty good, think it comes together rather nicely

shake it (ft. big freedia, cupcakke, brooke candy and pablo vittar) - this one i didn't like, i've only listened to the song all the way through once. it's too messy and just not very listenable.

february 2017 (ft. clairo and yaeji) - clairo's voice i've always found a little underwhelming, and the same here pretty much. it's nice but eh it doesn't add much to it. lyrically i love this song and the story it tells. yaeji's bit at the end was very nice :love:

blame it on your love (ft. lizzo) - ah so catchy and upbeat. charli and lizzo: a powerful combination :teeth:

i don't wanna know - a lowkey song that works really well :yep: found this one quite emotive.

1999 (ft. troye sivan) - this song is very listenable, good production on this one

8/10- production wise this album's great, i think the focus/themes are less cohesive at times though but that's only a small complaint as i love the sound and lyrics of most of these songs. listening to her new album at the moment :teeth:
Charli XCX - Charli

I'm afraid I didn't enjoy this. It wasn't awful but it just went on for a bit too long and really isn't my type of music. 3/10
Album 38

Considering we have a new user who recommended this and I'm feeling a bit lazy today and it will be a nice homage, I think we will go with ............

Fountains Of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/6TZp52tXShLQbq8yNMxqNT?si=Vvxvdgx-TYOfYDBu7ifdUg
Welcome Interstate Managers

Mexican Wine - A strong start. :coma:

Bright Future in Sales - Love it. :coma:

Stacy's Mom - Cheesy, but a classic. :coma:

Hackensack - Really nice sound, probably my favourite so far. :coma:

No Better Place - Nice.

Valley Winter Song - Nicer. :coma:

All Kinds of Time - Passable.

Little Red Light - Good stuff. :coma:

Hey Julie - Decent.

Halley's Waitress - Brilliant. :coma:

Hung Up on You - Sudden switch to country music! That's not a bad thing. :coma:

Fire Island - Okay.

Peace and Love - Fun.

Bought for a Song - That's, what, the third time they've mentioned Japan in a song? :laugh: Another very good one. :coma:

Supercollider - Reminiscent of Oasis, or The Beatles. Superb. :coma:

Yours and Mine - A nice minute long outro.

10/10, not a bad track on it. RIP Adam Schlesinger, those were some good songs.

Nice Variety, some really good tracks. There are certainly a few tracks I'm not a big fan of, so 9/10

I really love this album and reminds me of being way younger than I am. The only issue is for me there does feel like a few album filler type tracks.

8.5/10
Is it me, or are they getting longer? :holmes: Not a bad thing, just an observation. :p:

X Ambassadors VHS 2.0

Renegades - Really grew on me as it went on. :coma:

Unsteady - Not bad, a little slow for me though.

Hang On - Didn't like this one.

Gorgeous - Meh.

Fear - Nope, nope, nope.

Nervous - Better.

Low Life - Pretty good. :coma:

B.I.G. - Alright.

Feather - Boring.

Superpower - Powerful, I like. :coma:

Loveless - Bit repetitive.

Jungle - Very catchy. This Jamie N Commons can certainly sing. :coma:

Naked - Fantastic saxophone(?), song wasn't bad either. :coma:

Low Life 2.0 - Sounds familiar? :p: Still good, but not noticeably different from 1.0, and I'm not giving duplicate points. :noway:

Kerosene Dreams - Wasn't so keen on this one.

Collider - Nah.

Gorgeous (Upstate Sessions) - Now this one WAS better second time around. :coma:

Eye of the Storm - Haunting. :coma:

7/10, most of it was pleasant background music, but there were a few tracks I'd certainly revisit.
Forgot to finish from yesterday. So this is Welcome Interstate Managers, aka "oh that's the album it's from".
And f*** me it's a long album

Mexican Wine - pretty gud
Bright Future In Sales - tfw you're at uni in London
Stacy's Mom - very pretty gud
Hackensack - quite a change in tone but it works
No Better Place - s'alright
Valley Winter Song - I like
All Kinds Of Time - pretty nice, dragged on a little
Little Red Light - :yy:
Hey Julie - s'alright
Halley's Waitress - oooooh this is good
Hung Up On You - it's nice but I imagine this but sung by Johnny Cash and wouldn't that be great
Fire Island - liked the instrumental part in the middle
Peace And Love - very hippie-y but the instrumental grew on me
Bought For a Song - meh
Supercollider - meh
Yours and Mine - oh it's just a quick one nvm
Elevator Up - I'm awake again! that was nice

Some very good tracks on there, some just kinda boring. 7.5/10
Album 40

We had two slightly different main runners for this vote, Micheal Jackson's Thriller and The Smiths The Queen Is Dead which just beat it (get it?) It also has a very short run time so shouldn't take people too long!

The Smiths The Queen Is Dead

Spotify:https://open.spotify.com/album/5Y0p2XCgRRIjna91aQE8q7?si=0NX0FYlZTlaTwgG6eXyJtQ
Future suggestion; only recently discovered this one and I haven't listened to the whole thing yet: Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust by Sigur Rós.
It's Icelandic. Had to look that up.
X Ambassadors - VHS 2.0

I liked this one. 7/10

Quick Reply

Latest