The Student Room Group

TSR's One Album a Day Club

Scroll to see replies

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

Not really my genre but I like it, especially some of the earlier songs - would probably listen to it again. 7/10
fountains of wayne - welcome interstate managers
liked this a lot more than i'd expected. most of the songs are actually brilliant and i love the sound of them.
stacy's mom obviously a tune. highlights: mexican wine, winter valley song, hey julie.

8.5/10
x ambassadors - vhs 2.0

haven't listened to this album for ages so it's nice to listen to it again :teehee: :heart:

renegades - sometimes it's the popular songs that are crap but i like this one :coma: very listenable!!

low life 2.0 - quite good :yes:

naked - one of my favourites from this album!! lyrically and musically it's brilliant. the saxophone is also just adding something beautiful to the song.

kerosene dreams - great song, i really like the soundscape of this :yep:

low life - i think i like this version slightly more :yes:

unsteady - lyrically not groundbreaking but sam's vocals are :coma:

nervous - decent lyrically, liked the music on this :dancing:

collide - i love the big and brash sound on this :teeth:

eye of the storm - the beginning of this is :coma: a bit similar to collide, but still a great song

fear - the music around 1:58 i especially liked. their collaboration w imagine dragons was very good, i hope we get another song between them in the future :yes:

b.i.g - so so fun to listen to!!

hang on - can't beat a bit of motivational lyrics. think the music's really good in this one!!

gorgeous (live) - beautiful :love:

forgot to type my opinions of the next few songs but...
i basically like all the songs on here :colondollar:

7/10 because it is a bit long!! but a very enjoyable album. favourites are gorgeous, loveless and naked.
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead :rip:

The Queen Is Dead - Sounds all right, as long as you don't pay attention to the actual lyrics. Dragged on too long for my tastes, as well.

Frankly, Mr. Shankly - A bit better.

I Know It's Over - Nah, still quite a bit to go yet...

Never Had No One Ever - Don't know why, but his voice just grates on me. Karaoke version would probably be highly enjoyable.

Cemetry Gates - Very odd, but I actually liked it! :zomg: :coma:

Bigmouth Strikes Again - Epic. :coma:

The Boy with the Thorn in His Side - Think he's growing on me. :coma:

Vicar in a Tutu - Very good. :coma: Ended rather abruptly, though.

There Is a Light That Never Goes Out - Started weakly, but I liked it by the end. :coma:

Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others - This is true. And also a boring song / topic to end on. :yawn:

5/10, B side was stronger.
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

I actually was a bit disappointed in this album on re listen. It has some absolute classics but I prefer some of the other work they did together. 7/10
Album 41

I think it's time for a Evil Homer pick! This again is one of my favourite albums of all time, hopefully people don't find it too bleak or boring though!

White Lies - To Lose My Life

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/2NpF4D6d4jkCGE2Zp4JIcr?si=fpbyuaGTRw-G2LDhUhy8xA
Also, did I miss out on posting an album yesterday? Should I set an album up tomorrow to make up for it?
White Lies - To Lose My Life...

I really like some of these, more towards the beginning but Farewell to the Fairground was also good. 7/10
Original post by Evil Homer
Also, did I miss out on posting an album yesterday?

Yes. :sadnod:

Should I set an album up tomorrow to make up for it?

Yes. :yes:
White Lies - To Lose My Life:nodots:

Death - I'm surprised this didn't do more for me TBH, sounds similar to bands / songs that I do like, but something seemed missing.

To Lose My Life - This one grew on me. :coma:

A Place to Hide - Didn't hold my attention.

Fifty on Our Foreheads - Odd.

Unfinished Business - Still don't know what it is about their music that isn't clicking with me, but this was better. :coma:

E.S.T. - Best so far. :coma:

From the Stars - Passable.

Farewell to the Fairground - Okay.

Nothing to Give - Decent. :coma: ...followed by 2 minutes of silence. I assumed I'd be getting a hidden track or something, but I think it was just a weird Youtube upload. :p:

The Price of Love - Bizarre.

4/10. And I don't know why. Instrumentals sound great. Vocals sound good. Lyrics are a bit weird, but the dark themes appeal to me. I want to like it, but something about the combination just isn't doing it for me. :dontknow:
Has my terrible album choice killed this thread?

One of my fav albums of all time, although it can be a little bit of struggle if you're not in the mood as all the songs can sound a little similar and there isn't much of a change of tone throughout. Death is one of my favorite ever tracks and I love the deep vocals throughout.

9/10

I can't speak for the others, but the only thing that will stop my posting activity here are the days with no album choices at all. :sadnod:

One of my fav albums of all time, although it can be a little bit of struggle if you're not in the mood as all the songs can sound a little similar and there isn't much of a change of tone throughout. Death is one of my favorite ever tracks and I love the deep vocals throughout.

9/10

The vocals were very good :yy:

Since we did one of mine and I've just come across this album, can we have The Black Keys - El Camino at some point? ty
I don't know anything about this album whatsoever. Let's go.
Bleachers - Gone Now

Dreams of Mickey Mantle - started out meh but then became alright

Goodmorning - ehhh not bad.

Hate That You Know Me - kind of forgot about it

Don't Take the Money - ehhhh feel like I've heard this song on a few of the other albums

Everybody Lost Somebody - nice saxophones I guess. Bit ambitious with the falsetto hehe

All My Heroes - they had a good song and then they ruined it with all these sound effects that just don't go with it. You know when you accidentally start a song in another tab while you're listening to one? I was looking for that tab.

Let's Get Married - meh

Goodbye - nope

I Miss Those Days - ehhhh

Nothing is U - bit better

I'm Ready to Move On - it's... alright

Foreign Girls - have I heard this before...?

err 4/10. Second half of the album wasn't good.
Bleachers - Gone Now

A few good songs; not a very strong finish. 5/10
The suggestions that remain:

Ariana Grande - Sweetener
Led Zeppelin - II
Muse - Black Holes & Revelations
Kesha - Rainbow
Lorde - Pure Heroine
The 1975 (self-titled)
Wallows - Nothing Happens
Rex Orange County - Pony
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
The Delgados - Hate
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold as Love
Sigur Rós - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust

ones in blue are from artists we've already had.

Listening to Klaatu atm and quite enjoying it
Just spent a while compiling the scores for every album since You Want It Darker. Rounded to the nearest 0.1
Harry Styles, Fine Line: 7.2
Pink Floyd, Saucerful of Secrets: 5.4
Foals, What Went Down: 7.7
FOB, Save Rock & Roll: 4
Jay-Z, 4:44 - 5.9
John Talabot, Fin: 6
Vampire Weekend, Contra: 5.4
Nirvana, Nevermind: 7.8
Oasis, What's the Story etc.: 8.5 :king2:
Mura Masa: 3.9
Guns n Roses, Appetite for Destruction: 7.7
La Roux, Trouble in Paradise: 6.3
Keane, Under the Iron Sea: 6.8
Dorian Electra, Flamboyant: 2.3 (fairly confident that's the lowest rating so far)
Charli: 3.8 (most controversial album since Melodrama with a standard deviation of 3.1)
Fountains of Wayne, Welcome Interstate Managers: 8.7 :king1:
VHS 2.0: 7
The Smiths, The Queen is Dead: 6.3
White Lies, To Lose My Life: 6.7

forgot to add Klaatu, 3:47 EST: 5.4, I rated it a 6
(edited 3 years ago)
bleachers - gone now
uhhh 5/10? some nice songs on there but nothing special really though the sounds of some of them were quite good. everybody lost somebody and foreign girls were my favourite.
Original post by Sinnoh
The suggestions that remain:

Ariana Grande - Sweetener
Led Zeppelin - II
Muse - Black Holes & Revelations
Kesha - Rainbow
Lorde - Pure Heroine
The 1975 (self-titled)
Wallows - Nothing Happens
Rex Orange County - Pony
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
The Delgados - Hate
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold as Love
Sigur Rós - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust

ones in blue are from artists we've already had.

Listening to Klaatu atm and quite enjoying it

Also The Black Keys - El Camino, from a post yesterday. :yes:

Loving the stats BTW, the details such as standard deviations on the divisive ones are fun to know. :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest