The Student Room Group

Barts and the London Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Do Barts call for interviews through the post or email? Does Track change?
Original post by Beska
Do Barts call for interviews through the post or email? Does Track change?

They send post and on the day they think you'll receive the post you'll get an e-mail as well. Usually they're spot on and you get the email about midday after receiving the post in the morning. Track does not change.
Oh and the interview letters are lush - they come in a sorta ringbinder/folder thingy unlike other places that just give you a standard email/letter.
Original post by Medicine Man
Oh and the interview letters are lush - they come in a sorta ringbinder/folder thingy unlike other places that just give you a standard email/letter.

I use mine for my to keep my timetable in...
Wow that ring binder thing sounds great!
Original post by RollerBall
I use mine for my to keep my timetable in...

I used mine last year as my MedSoc folder. Dunno how all that crap from it managed to fit in there but I was adamant I wasn't buying a folder just for medsoc. :nothing:
Original post by w04andia
So...have people heard anything more from Barts?

You probably won't hear till mid late november at the earliest I reckon. The first batch in my year to get interviews heard around then too. If the last two years are anything to go by, the first set of interviews are usually in the first/second week of December.
I used mine last year as my MedSoc folder. Dunno how all that crap from it managed to fit in there but I was adamant I wasn't buying a folder just for medsoc. :nothing:

Wait, what? What crap do we get from crapsoc that we need to put in a folder?
Original post by RollerBall
Wait, what? What crap do we get from crapsoc that we need to put in a folder?

All your learning log crap and reflective writing crap etc. It gets marked and is like 2/3rds of your overall crapsoc grade - the other third being some crap presentation right before end of year exams. Very craptastic indeed! :indiff:
Guys, medsoc really isn't that bad. MOST people get awesome GPs and love their placements. I was unlucky and didn't, hence I didn't like mine. It was also a trek and a half away from all London civilization. :sad:

That said, 2nd year medsoc is just crap all round. :p: EPC is a much better way of learning I reckon.
All your learning log crap and reflective writing crap etc. It gets marked and is like 2/3rds of your overall crapsoc grade - the other third being some crap presentation right before end of year exams. Very craptastic indeed! :indiff:

:shock:
:nooo:
:emo:

How much does medsoc count towards our final grade? :mad:
Reply 371
What is MedSoc? :colondollar:
Original post by Beska
What is MedSoc? :colondollar:

I think it is like medicine in society?
Original post by win2kpro
:shock:
:nooo:
:emo:

How much does medsoc count towards our final grade? :mad:

Like 15% of paper A (which is quite useful as it means you can pass paper A quite easily even if you flop ICAs) and thus 3% of your overall grade for this year. So in the grand scheme of things, considering you have medsoc to look forward to next year, its minute! The big ones are the end of year exams.
haha but the second you step out of the campus, you'll find yourself in Whitechapel!!
Like 15% of paper A (which is quite useful as it means you can pass paper A quite easily even if you flop ICAs) and thus 3% of your overall grade for this year. So in the grand scheme of things, considering you have medsoc to look forward to next year, its minute! The big ones are the end of year exams.

I feel like such an idiot asking this but what are ICAs? - Also, can you give me a brief outline of how many papers there are and how much each counts etc? :colondollar:
Original post by a moist feeling
I think it is like medicine in society?

Year 1 - Basically get attached to a GP placement which you visit fortnightly and learn random things each time you're there depending on what module you are doing. So like pregnancy in Human Development, and COPD in cardio resp etc. You get to meet patients/do home visits and interview them and ask them anything really about the disease and how its affected them etc. and have to write a reflective piece on it at the end of each session. You also have to make a poster and present it to the GP and practice manager etc about anyone of the conditions you particualrly enjoyed studying to present at the end of the year.

Year 2 - Basically attached to a ward (I'm on a psych ward) - though some people are attached to GPs. Again, fortnightly visits to that ward. However, there is less structure to this one - so sorta like a firm in third year - and you literally sit in on ward rounds, get taught about stuff relating to your placement (if your consultant is willing to teach), get to interview patients, do some home visits, generally chat to patients etc and have to end up with a case report/project on a patient you particularly felt fond of at the end of the year. You're allowed to look at patient notes etc too which means you really get to find out a lot about the patient which makes the case report a lot more intresting. Not so much reflective writing this year which is a major plus, but the fact that its not so structured and you've really got to be pro-active if you want to learn anything at all make it a little bit more annoying than first year medsoc. No one is gonna chase you around really.

This runs alongside EPC (Extended Patient Contact) which also runs fortnightly, but out of sync with medsoc. This is much better IMO. Attached to a GP (usually), but less waffley stuff this year (thats not to say first year if all waffley). Its only for a half day but you get quized on the spot by the GP about anything really (which literally means you need to know your stuff). A little frightening, but I quite like it tbh. You also get to carry out consultations with patients, take their histories, take their bp etc. Generally more exciting and more relevant i reckon - generally makes you feel more confident with patients for firms in third year etc. Shame its worth half of what medsoc is because most people prefer EPC to medsoc anyway.

For both medsoc and epc in year 2, reflective writing is not mandatory each week - you just need to have a few samples for your portfolio really.
I feel like such an idiot asking this but what are ICAs? - Also, can you give me a brief outline of how many papers there are and how much each counts etc? :colondollar:

ICAs = In Course Assessments
These are stuff like your FunMed exam etc that you do after each module. Falls into three parts - SAQ paper (mainly PBL based, but can have some lecture stuff in there), EMQ paper (mainly lecture based), and Spotter exam (anatomy/histology/practicals).

Now there are 5 'papers' in year 1 - all of which you have to pass to get to year 2 (you need to pass paper A to be entered for end of year exams).

Paper A - All your ICAs, Medsoc marks, PBL write ups go here (each weighted differently). Tbh, the vast majority of the year pass this paper because medsoc really helps you bump up your average to 50% required.
Paper B - This is and end of year paper. Split into two parts. Bi - your end of year SAQ paper on pretty much any of the pbls you've covered this year, 3 new ones given to you closer to exam time to work on and one completely new one you see in the exam. THen there's Bii - this is an EMQ paper on pretty much everything you've done in first year. most of it (like 40% is based on FunMed material anyway).
Paper C - Thisis an end of year spotter exam based on ALL the anatomy, histology and practicals you've done all year. Anything could come up really.
Paper D - Your OSCE exam on the clinical skills you'll be taught after christmas. THere are quite a few exams to remember. OSCEs are split into two too - so the practical bit where you do a physical exam on a pretend patient and the written bit where you answer an EMQ paper on the OSCE stations you have just been to.
Paper E - All your SSC srap from the entire year.

For ranking - Only papers B, C and D coumt (so your end of year exams only). For merits, distinctions etc - only papers A, B, C and D count. Basically, paper E is just something you have to pass but if you do well in paper E (i.e top quartile in your year), you get awarded a commendation in SSCs which I guess could be pretty good.

EDIT: Apologies for the typos - I'm doing this whilst watching the Apprentice! :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
ICAs = In Course Assessments
These are stuff like your FunMed exam etc that you do after each module. Falls into three parts - SAQ paper (mainly PBL based, but can have some lecture stuff in there), EMQ paper (mainly lecture based), and Spotter exam (anatomy/histology/practicals).

Now there are 5 'papers' in year 1 - all of which you have to pass to get to year 2 (you need to pass paper A to be entered for end of year exams).

Paper A - All your ICAs, Medsoc marks, PBL write ups go here (each weighted differently). Tbh, the vast majority of the year pass this paper because medsoc really helps you bump up your average to 50% required.
Paper B - This is and end of year paper. Split into two parts. Bi - your end of year SAQ paper on pretty much any of the pbls you've covered this year, 3 new ones given to you closer to exam time to work on and one completely new one you see in the exam. THen there's Bii - this is an EMQ paper on pretty much everything you've done in first year. most of it (like 40% is based on FunMed material anyway).
Paper C - Thisis an end of year spotter exam based on ALL the anatomy, histology and practicals you've done all year. Anything could come up really.
Paper D - Your OSCE exam on the clinical skills you'll be taught after christmas. THere are quite a few exams to remember. OSCEs are split into two too - so the practical bit where you do a physical exam on a pretend patient and the written bit where you answer an EMQ paper on the OSCE stations you have just been to.
Paper E - All your SSC srap from the entire year.

For ranking - Only papers B, C and D coumt (so your end of year exams only). For merits, distinctions etc - only papers A, B, C and D count. Basically, paper E is just something you have to pass but if you do well in paper E (i.e top quartile in your year), you get awarded a commendation in SSCs which I guess could be pretty good.

EDIT: Apologies for the typos - I'm doing this whilst watching the Apprentice! :p:

Haha don't worry man! Thanks ever so much! :adore:

I really need to do some work, have been procrastinating WAY too much. I've got 1 PBL to do, another PBL to write-up. I also need to start on making revision notes for the lectures I've had. So far I have done zilch. :o:
Haha don't worry man! Thanks ever so much! :adore:

I really need to do some work, have been procrastinating WAY too much. I've got 1 PBL to do, another PBL to write-up. I also need to start on making revision notes for the lectures I've had. So far I have done zilch. :o:

Welcome to my world. Seriously. This is me.

Had the entire day off because of the tube strikes - potential to do so mucj work today - woke up, went to watch some movies at my (uni) wife's house, played some badminton in the afternoon, left at 5.30 ish, went to starbucks with a mate because she was craving some hot chocolate, WALKED all the way from old street to whitechapel to drop off my bag at my wife's place (too jam packed to get on the buses and some serious traffic jams), then left her place about quarter past 7 and bused it all the way home (again because of said tube strikes). Got in about quarter past 8, knacked. Got me some dinner, watched waterloo road and then the apprentice and now I'm on here.

Total work done today = zilch. :sad:

I think I might stay up and work considering I don't start till 12pm tomorrow anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending