The Student Room Group

Geography - abrasion and corrasion?

Revising rivers and was wondering is abrasion and corrasion the same thing?
I know corrosion is a totally different thing but I'm a bit confused about corrasion and abrasion.

Thank you :smile:
Corrasion is the wearing away of rock on the riverbed by abrasion (sandpaper-like action). I tended to only use abrasion in my answers though. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Oh wow, this brings me back... :moon:

And yeah, they're essentially the same thing. If you want to be nitpicky, Corrasion is the erosive action of particles carried by rivers(or wind/ice/etc.), while abrasion is the process by which they're broken down through friction.
Reply 3
Original post by Heather with the Weather
Corrasion is the wearing away of rock on the riverbed by abrasion (sandpaper-like action). I tended to only use abrasion in my answers though. :smile:

Thank you, this really helps! :smile:
Original post by Enzo-259
Oh wow, this brings me back... :moon:

And yeah, they're essentially the same thing. If you want to be nitpicky, Corrasion is the erosive action of particles carried by rivers(or wind/ice/etc.), while abrasion is the process by which they're broken down through friction.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same problem. The CIE A level syllabus lists abrasion and corrasion as separate things, but what you describe as abrasion is what I was taught as attrition at IGCSE and attrition is not listed on the A level syllabus.
Original post by TheBirder
I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same problem. The CIE A level syllabus lists abrasion and corrasion as separate things, but what you describe as abrasion is what I was taught as attrition at IGCSE and attrition is not listed on the A level syllabus.

Similarly, I'm wondering about the exact difference between hydraulic action and cavitation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending