The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nah they aren't abnormal in the head; they just don't understand other peoples points of view / opinions. Introverts are disliked because people find it hard to relate to them, they don't just make people feel uncomfortable specifically because they're introverts...

Not to mention all introverts aren't the same you know, there're different degrees of introversion [is that a word? It is now.]

I think that sorta answers what this thread is about, that final line is pretty weird within the context of the rest of the thread.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Resonanse
Nah they aren't abnormal in the head; they just don't understand other peoples points of view / opinions.

So abnormal in the head then?
Reply 3
Anyone who fails to comprehend of a point of view and a way of behaving different from their own can indeed be considered "abnormal".
But then, the words normal and abnormal are highly subjective, loaded words...
Reply 4
Original post by rajandkwameali
So abnormal in the head then?

Abnormal is subjective to the society you live in. So no.
Original post by Blueflare
Anyone who fails to comprehend of a point of view and a way of behaving different from their own can indeed be considered "abnormal".
But then, the words normal and abnormal are highly subjective, loaded words...

I think it's just our liberal society that says that.

I agree that normalcy is relative, but part of human existence is recognising that people are different. It's something that cannot be helped or avoided. :biggrin:

I think people who complain about introverts are warped in the head since they expect others to warm to them or be accommodating of them. It's ego, nothing more. :wink:
Abnormal is subjective to the society you live in. So no.

I disagree. I think in social situations, there are healthy/unhealthy modes of interaction. Expecting others to warm to you, with no prior acknowledgment, is not healthy.
Reply 7
I think it's just our liberal society that says that.

I agree that normalcy is relative, but part of human existence is recognising that people are different. It's something that cannot be helped or avoided. :biggrin:

Yes, but how you treat other people is relative to a large number of factors; how you were brought up, previous experiences to name a couple. To simply claim everyone who does not act or feel a specific way is "warped in the head" is doing the exact same thing you accuse those "waped in the head" of doing...

So what does that make you, if you beleive your logic to be true?

I think people who complain about introverts are warped in the head since they expect others to warm to them or be accommodating of them. It's ego, nothing more. :wink:
Reply 8
I disagree. I think in social situations, there are healthy/unhealthy modes of interaction. Expecting others to warm to you, with no prior acknowledgment, is not healthy.

There're also social norms many introverts do not display; people cannot relate to them in order to form some kind of social bond because they behave unusually within a situation to the norm.
Reply 9

But isn't it the norm that others don't exist to make people feel comfortable? :s-smilie:

:s-smilie: you seem to love the word "norm".

Introverts are not abnormal and off course they understand other people's opinions/perspectives, they just tend to be reserved and like their own space. I am introvert to some degree, but it doesn't make me abnormal and I certainly don't think I make other people uncomfortable.
Yes, but how you treat other people is relative to a large number of factors; how you were brought up, previous experiences to name a couple. To simply claim everyone who does not act or feel a specific way is "warped in the head" is doing the exact same thing you accuse those "waped in the head" of doing...

So what does that make you, if you beleive your logic to be true?

I disagree. I think whenever you meet somebody new, you move on a blank slate. This makes sense since everybody is different. Past experience affects our perceptions, yes, but the other person is who they is and cannot act any differently. they should not, and frankly will not, change their personality/conduct to conform to what somebody else they don't know wants. THAT is ego, nothing more, nothing less. :biggrin::wink:

If you're arguing that there is no such thing as healthy human conduct, then I think you have another thing coming, I'm not in the mood to debate nonsensical standpoints.
Reply 11
Original post by lonely14

Introverts are not abnormal and off course they understand other people's opinions/perspectives, they just tend to be reserved and like their own space. I am introvert to some degree, but it doesn't make me abnormal and I certainly don't think I make other people uncomfortable.

You completely mis-read the topic...
There're also social norms many introverts do not display; people cannot relate to them in order to form some kind of social bond because they behave unusually within a situation to the norm.

there are no such things as social norms.

Again, whose problem is it that introverts cannot relate to others? You've essentially proven that introverts make others feel uncomfortable. In life, nobody owes others comfort, wellbeing, or affection.

As i said, there are no social norms.

How I interact is that I accept that others have their own personality/mode of thinking. We can only be ourselves, and perceive things how we innately see it.

The reality of life shouldn't care off egocentric people. :wink:
Reply 14
You completely mis-read the topic...

How? :confused:

Maybe because It's 3 in the morning.

:getmecoat:
Reply 15
I disagree. I think whenever you meet somebody new, you move on a blank slate.

Incorrect, utterly and completely. You class people based on appearance primarily; it's just the way humans work. Before you've even spoken to the person, you've already classed them to some degree in your mind based on appearance, body language etc.

This makes sense since everybody is different.

Everyone is different but very few are truly unique, we are an animal and thus behave within social norms.

Past experience affects our perceptions, yes, but the other person is who they is and cannot act any differently. they should not, and frankly will not, change their personality/conduct to conform to what somebody else they don't know wants. THAT is ego, nothing more, nothing less. :biggrin::wink:

This is a point you keep making, but you really need to understand this if you're to have any hope of understanding the issue: It is nothing to do with the concept of "ego".

Ego does not effect social traits, yes it effect personality, but expecting people to conform to social norms is not egotistical, it's a natural emotion.

If you're arguing that there is no such thing as healthy human conduct, then I think you have another thing coming, I'm not in the mood to debate nonsensical standpoints.

But that's exactly the point I was making; did you even read my post?, I stated that introverts [the type of introvert we are discussing] do not follow the norms of human social conduct; hence the lack of connection to them and the complaints. It's really not difficult to understand.
Reply 16
How? :confused:

Maybe because It's 3 in the morning.

:getmecoat:

You're arguing that introverts are not abnormal, the OP is stating that people that complain about introverts, are abnormal.
Reply 17
As i said, there are no social norms.

And you were wrong then, as you're wrong now. Of course there're social norms...
Reply 18
You're arguing that introverts are not abnormal, the OP is stating that people that complain about introverts, are abnormal.

Oh.. my bad :colondollar:

Anyway keep the discussion going (which I wouldn't if I were you :wink:, you'll never be able to convince this guy),

I'm going to bed now.

Ciao
Incorrect, utterly and completely. You class people based on appearance primarily; it's just the way humans work. Before you've even spoken to the person, you've already classed them to some degree in your mind based on appearance, body language etc.

lol.. I think this is incorrect. Yes, we have preconceptions, but everybody thinks differently, acts differently, and values differently. I can look at somebody and think they look nice, or look dim, or whatever. But until I get to know them, I would not know if they liked reading, or only to go clubbing, or if they liked Thai food, or what have you. Unless one has some kind of ESP, one cannot gauge everything of a person, or who that person really is.

Everyone is different but very few are truly unique, we are an animal and thus behave within social norms.

Unique means one of a kind. We are social animals, but within that label we al have different personalities and ways of seeing life.

This is a point you keep making, but you really need to understand this if you're to have any hope of understanding the issue: It is nothing to do with the concept of "ego".

Ego does not effect social traits, yes it effect personality, but expecting people to conform to social norms is not egotistical, it's a natural emotion.

You keep making the comment of social norms, but what are social norms? that somebody is not responsive when spoken to? Or does not seem interested in conversation? maybe that person is shy. It could be that the person speaking to them is black, and the other person is a white supremacist. Who knows? Human interaction doesn't work any other way.

But that's exactly the point I was making; did you even read my post?, I stated that introverts [the type of introvert we are discussing] do not follow the norms of human social conduct; hence the lack of connection to them and the complaints. It's really not difficult to understand.

I disagree with your point. I think the entire extrovert/introvert thing is just driven by popular culture. I frankly couldn't care less if somebody is more reserved, or quieter or is not lively and outgoing. It is pop culture that says these are desirable traits, when some persons naturally are more reserved or less outgoing.

I stand by saying that people who feel "offended" at being snubbed by introverts simply move on to somebody who is more responsive. Who says that everybody has to get on or approve of everybody else? :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending