The Student Room Group

Abnormal liver function test results, is there any hope things will get better?

Okay so basically, sadly, in the past, a few times i have taken large paracetamol overdoses due to depressive episodes. I aways had the NAC drip after these overdoses and everything before i was discharged. Everytime my liver function tests would come back as normal until the last two times when the blood clotting was a bit off (too slow) and the time before last the liver function came back as abnormal until i had the final nac and it improved again and went back to normal.

Anyway to cut a long story short my
last paracetamol overdose was early this year like February time so i assumed my liver was okayish at the moment, but then I had a blood test last week and it showed my liver function was off. On the first test, my ast came back as 98 and the alt as 79. I’ve had the test done again and i his time it came back as as ast being 57 and the alt being 101. I had my blood clotting tested and that came back as Aptt being 38 seconds and Aptt ratio being 1.3 so both came back as slightly abnormal.

Obviously i am very saddened by this whole
thing and feel like i have no one i can talk to about it who will understand. I understand all of this is my fault but i wasn’t expecting it to out of the blue deteriorate like that as I don’t drink alcohol. I’m just wondering if there’s anything I can do that might help save my liver or if there is any hope of having a normal life for the next few years at all. Thank you ❤️
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
You need to knock the paracetamol on the head, obviously. I'm not being callous. That is the single issue, ale has nothing to do with anything here, of course medication can **** your liver.

I had a liver injury (unknown origin, suspected vaccine injury, actually) and it took the better part of 2 years to get my ALT back to normal.

The good news is that if you pack it in, the liver can regenerate, and with that comes better ALT results etc. Hopefully you've not done so much damage that this can be a prospect for you. Your doctors should be able to better advise.
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
You need to knock the paracetamol on the head, obviously. I'm not being callous. That is the single issue, ale has nothing to do with anything here, of course medication can **** your liver.

I had a liver injury (unknown origin, suspected vaccine injury, actually) and it took the better part of 2 years to get my ALT back to normal.

The good news is that if you pack it in, the liver can regenerate, and with that comes better ALT results etc. Hopefully you've not done so much damage that this can be a prospect for you. Your doctors should be able to better advise.

Thank you for your response, it’s much appreciated. Can I ask if you don’t mind what your Alt/Ast results were before they began to get better? And was your blood clotting normal? Thank you 🤗
Reply 3
Original post by heyhi383828
Thank you for your response, it’s much appreciated. Can I ask if you don’t mind what your Alt/Ast results were before they began to get better? And was your blood clotting normal? Thank you 🤗

Clotting was normal, but I had too much iron (5x too high) and my ALT was, at its best across an 18 month period, about 130, I can't remember AST but the discussions were not really centred much around that.
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
Clotting was normal, but I had too much iron (5x too high) and my ALT was, at its best across an 18 month period, about 130, I can't remember AST but the discussions were not really centred much around that.

Thank you for your response, happy to hear you’re now doing well 💜 I hope things will improve for me too 😔🙏

Quick Reply

Latest