The Student Room Group

why are my parents so disappointed in me?

This whole university thing is killing me; luckily for me I've got offers from fairly respected universities - Birmingham and QMUL.
Yet my parents seem so disappointed in me, I just don't understand. Why? Are they bad universities or something?
I am so confused and sad, it's like I can never please them :bawling:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What course?
Reply 2
Ask them why. You could be subtle: "Have you ever been to Birmingham, did you have any bad experiences there?" (ok, you'll have to work it into a conversation).
Reply 3
Sound like lousy parents who are utterly selfish and want you to go to the best university because they think it is a reflection on them. They are probably outrageous snobs and don't really take your needs into consideration. If I was you I would tell them it is none of their business and they should shove it.

You go where you want and don't let your pathetic parents tell you otherwise, they disgust me.
Reply 4
Birmingham is good, don't have a clue about QMUL though. Maybe they just thought you could do better, or maybe they're jealous or something..
Original post by Magma828
Birmingham is good, don't have a clue about QMUL though. Maybe they just thought you could do better, or maybe they're jealous or something..

Original post by Poem boy
Sound like lousy parents who are utterly selfish and want you to go to the best university because they think it is a reflection on them. They are probably outrageous snobs and don't really take your needs into consideration. If I was you I would tell them it is none of their business and they should shove it.

You go where you want and don't let your pathetic parents tell you otherwise, they disgust me.

Original post by Hopple
Ask them why. You could be subtle: "Have you ever been to Birmingham, did you have any bad experiences there?" (ok, you'll have to work it into a conversation).

Original post by tehforum
What course?

I'm doing Politics/International Relations -- just makes me wonder whether Birmingham is even a good university .. *sigh*
Reply 6
Maybe they just hate mondays...
man up.

do what you want, not them
Reply 8
Yeah Birmingham is a fine university, solid red brick institution. Also I studied IR too
Reply 9
A few of my friends go to QMUL and its rated one of the bets in London let alone the country! You should be very proud of yourself and so should your rents!
It's about you and it's your degree, not your parents. They won't even be there when you are studying so don't let them bother you. Sometimes you have to make decisions for yourself, not just to please other people. I know it's hard when it's your parents though.
Reply 11
Original post by iheartmondays
I'm doing Politics/International Relations -- just makes me wonder whether Birmingham is even a good university .. *sigh*

Lol, dont worry about it mate.
Maybe they just don't like you.
They're both great unis, they probably want you to go to oxbridge:rolleyes:
Original post by iheartmondays

Are you asian? :bhangra:
Both my parents went to Birmingham.

My Mum is the HR Director for the European parts of a large successful company. My Dad is a Chartered Engineer and Chartered Physicist and has been ringfenced during redundancies (meaning that he was not considered for redundancy) in one of the few engineering companies left in UK.

They seem to be doing okay for themselves.

Birmingham is a good university. Seriously, don't worry. Tell your parents where to stuff it. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Mastermind`
Are you asian? :bhangra:

Damn, you beat me to it.
The best thing that you can do is just ask them! But don't make it sound like you're accusing them- ask them are do they think you're doing the best you can, and do they think that there's anything you could do better.
cos parents are mongoloids.
Reply 19
How can a parent ever be jealous with their own child? I dont think it's true. Of course they can annoy you and irritate you, and sometimes tell you what to do. Yep, if they are Asians, they can Influence you. but the thing is it really doesnt matter what you think of them or they think of you. You just have to decide whats best for you, and you can also ask your parents why they are disappointed?

to be honest how can they be disappointed over a university you choose? They should be happy that you are going to a university!!! And that too you have a subject in your mind,
You are focused.

Don't let them affect you or your mood, but I don't think they would be jealous of you. Thats ridiculous!

P.s Choosing a university requires a lot of research!!! So I hope you have considered all the possibilities, recognition and academics!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending