The Student Room Group

will uni still be a fresh start? getting second thoughts.

Scroll to see replies

I understand you completely. I wouldn't want to bump into people I knew either.......because I too want(ed) a fresh start. So I was pretty peeved when I found out my ex boyfriend was going to the same uni as me. I've been here around 9 weeks now, and i've bumped into once.

Chances of seeing those people (besides the one on your course) is very slim :smile:
My friend went to the same uni as a girl from our year at school and they ended up in the same flat. At first my friend was a bit annoyed but they're actually quite close now so it might not be as bad as you think. 5 other people from my school went to my uni and I've seen 4 of them once each and the other a bit more, but none of them were in my 1st year accomodation/on my course.
Reply 22
Original post by naomidawn
University isn't particularly a fresh start anyway, unless you have a really awful reputation at home. Also, you won't see them that much unless you arrange it.

Haha I don't! I am fine with who I am and my personality and everything, and I don't think I have a reputation as anything other than a clumsy blonde girl with a swedish mum who talks alot! I meant a fresh start as in like meeting new people and embarking on a NEW JOURRRRRNEY, not like, a fresh start because my former life was so awful
Reply 23
Original post by Blueflare
You really won't see them that much.

Two people I knew from school ended up in the same flat at Uni and they still didn't see each other that much!

There will be so many other people there, it won't matter. I do understand how you're feeling though, I really didn't want anyone from school coming to the same Uni as me either.

Hahah! I'm glad other people have felt like that :smile:
Yeah after some thought i reckon it's only 5/30,000 people, can't be that difficult to avoid them
Reply 24
Original post by WhereIsMyMind
It's not silly nor is it stupid. I spent a whole year last year determined to make sure no one else from my sixth form applied to the same Uni I was hoping to go to (Aberdeen..)

hahaha! I am so glad! I still want them to decide that Nottingham is rubbish but oh well, they're entitled to go there as much as me
Reply 25
Original post by CookieDoughLove
I understand you completely. I wouldn't want to bump into people I knew either.......because I too want(ed) a fresh start. So I was pretty peeved when I found out my ex boyfriend was going to the same uni as me. I've been here around 9 weeks now, and i've bumped into once.

Chances of seeing those people (besides the one on your course) is very slim :smile:

Oh that's good! aha was it awkward to bump into him?
and yay!
Reply 26
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Well I think it's only natural to think like that if you see uni as a new start. No one from my Sixth Form went to my uni but the guy next door started dating someone who had been in my GCSE English class and I walked into our common room one day to find her and two of her best mates there. My immediate thought was "no, you're not meant to be here!", lol!

Just think of it this way: even if it does happen, the people who are worth you getting to know well and hang out with will be the people who will take the time to find out what you're like for themselves :smile:

:smile: haha! oh that really cheered me up, I'm feeling a lot less worried now x
Original post by SiaSiaSia
Oh that's good! aha was it awkward to bump into him?
and yay!

A little awkward, but I glanced at him for maybe 3 seconds, then forgot all about him! :smile:
Reply 28
Right this sounds a bit pathetic... I accepted Nottingham uni in March and have been really excited about going there as I got my unconditional in August and haven't been worried about it at all. I wanted to have a fresh start at university and meet new people who never knew me before.

But, anyway, now basically lots of people in my year who didn't get into university last year have reapplied and now four people have accepted Nottingham already (it's only 30th november aswell, urgh), and I don't mind them really - it's just I really don't want to be somewhere they'll be? One of them is doing my course as well so I will see them, and I dunno. I know it's a huge university but they're all applying similar accommodation to me (coincidentally; I saw it on facebook, feeling totally lame now). I'm just having second thoughts about going somewhere where I'll see these people? (I totally want to say Man up to myself right now but I really do feel worried and confused!)

People keep telling me Nottingham is "Colchester-relocated" (I'm from Colchester) as well and this is really putting me off... and I've only actually visited the university once and now I'm not sure if it's for me.

I know I'm being pathetic, but do I have any right to be? I mean there'll be LOADS of people, so even if they have the same accom as me would I realistically see them a lot? I want a fresh start, I don't want to be near people I know... I'm not going to be pathetic and reapply (I don't really know where I'd reapply to either) but I'm beginning to get worried maybe Nottingham uni isn't the place to get a fresh start...

The fact I'm even worrying about this is confusing me... I'm not sure what it says about myself, ha

If anybody ever had concerns that young people were going to university for the wrong reasons, this would confirm those worries. You're going for an EDUCATION. If you truly loved the course, the university, and were anticipating the future fruits of your labour, you would not care about knowing a few of the students already. Perhaps you are not as excited about the university or the course as you think.
Reply 29
Original post by INTJ
If anybody ever had concerns that young people were going to university for the wrong reasons, this would confirm those worries. You're going for an EDUCATION. If you truly loved the course, the university, and were anticipating the future fruits of your labour, you would not care about knowing a few of the students already. Perhaps you are not as excited about the university or the course as you think.

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha
Reply 30
Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha

Got to love all the negative rep. It makes it all the more satisfying :cool:
Reply 31
People keep telling me Nottingham is "Colchester-relocated" (I'm from Colchester) as well and this is really putting me off... and I've only actually visited the university once and now I'm not sure if it's for me.

I'm from Colchester (well, went to 6th form there), and go to Notts uni. In my three years here I've met 4 people who had heard of Colchester, and 1 person who lived within a 10 mile radius of it.

If anything, it's Kingston relocated.
Reply 32
... it could happen :sad:

haha I know I'm thinking worst case scenario. I'm also like "why do you have to go THERE? THAT'S MY UNIVERSITY" which is also pathetic ahaa

In clearing I actively avoided unis i knew people in my year were going to.

But now two of my close friends from 6th form are applying here next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending