The Student Room Group

What is one act of kindness that you recieved from a stranger?

Scroll to see replies

The only thing I can think of, is being caught out by terrible trains and worried I'd miss my connection (I'd only booked for the one train)

I ask some random lad at the trainstation if he's heading down to the main trainstation asking if he wants to share a taxi (the trains are very delayed)

He rings his mum and just offers me a lift :smile:
Getting on one of the late buses and as I was digging into my pockets for change, the driver gave me the "go ahead" to just sit my freezing ass on the bus without forking out the couple of quid I would have had to spend otherwise :yep:
Reply 62
A blowjob.
I lost my phone once and had someone get it back to me after calling my mum with it.

Also my car broke down as I was leaving work on a Sunday evening about a winter or two ago and a guy who I don't even know why was about came over and attempted to help me bump start it although we failed, also got some jumper leads and tried jump starting with his friends car which also failed. I had to wait for the RAC in the snow but at least he tried to help me.
-I went to Starbucks to get some drink which was 10 minutes away (walking) from my flat when i was in DC and then when i was about to pay, i forgot that i didn't bring my credit card and my cash wash only $1.50, so this guy behind me paid for all the things i bought. He saved me from embarrassment and saved me more money. :p:

-It was late at night and was raining so hard when i got off the train to go home. So i had to find a cab after i got off the train and this guy just walked behind me and he shared his umbrella with me until i get a cab. It took me 3 hours to get a cab because it was a busy night.

-The taxi driver gave me back my iPhone when i forgot it in his cab. :h:
When I was really young, a stranger gave me some free tickets for this merry-go-round and I was really happy. Then I checked them and they were all out of date... :frown:
The other week, while driving home from work, I was just about entering my town when the traffic suddenly stopped. I had to do an emergency stop and unfortunately the guy behind me went into the back of me. The woman in front (who wasn't involved in the accident whatsoever) pulled over, got out and came over to check that I was okay. I'd only been driving a few months so I wasn't sure what to do, so the lady waited with me as the driver and I swapped details. She then gave me her details in case I needed a witness.

The driver called me and suggested that instead of going through our insurance, he could get his brother to sort out the cosmetic damage to my car for free at his car spray painting business. The guy did a fantastic job and even pushed out the dents in my boot. I also called the lady who got out to thank her again and to tell her that everything was okay.
Reply 67
A guy gave us his car park ticket as he was leaving, which still had time on it. Thought that was pretty decent of him.

Also various taxi drivers giving me and my mates a discount cos we had good banter.
Reply 68
- This was years ago... i could never see when the bus was coming when walking up to the bus stop, so this woman would stand at the end of the road and wave to me if she saw it coming, and if it got there before I did, she's make it stand there and wait for me :smile:

- This old man when he was getting off the bus made sure i sat on his seat... i found a £1 on it...xD

- My friend and I didn't get off a train before it terminated, and this other random guy got stuck on the train when his friends got off, but he was going to the same place we were, and we were lost, so he helped up get the right trains - ultimate life saver her was :biggrin:
Reply 69
Me and the missus were in Glasgow for the Scotland v Spain match a few months ago, we were waiting for ages in this taxi rank, my OH is in a wheelchair so it's difficult getting around but we had 2 spaces left, there were two young lads in the queue so we said they should hop in with us. They jumped in and they paid for the taxi :smile:
Nothing has been done for me, but I try and help people out all the time. The most recent thing I can remember is helping a randomer change a tyre.

If everyone does just 1 good thing a day, the world would be a better place.

But the world is ****. Ah well.
Reply 71
Some lovely chap gave me a free syringe loaded with heroin and a phone number.
I find it interesting to note that the majority of those who received help from strangers have vaginas
Reply 73
So I was working in a restaurant last year and a stranger who was the restaurant owner's friend was talking to me since during that shift it was completely dead and the guy was waiting to have a meeting with the owner. I told him how I wanted to become a lawyer and use my profession to help others. He asked me why I was working in a restaurant instead of a law office or any office at all. Told him that it was the only job I could get since I didn't have any experience in that area. We continued to talk about alot of different topics and about thirty minutes later I had to go back to concentrating on work and sort of forgot about the guy since I didn't think I would run into him ever again.

2 weeks later the guy comes in and offers me a job at his office which deals with foreclosures and mortgages. I quit my restaurant job, loved the new job, and actually learned alot and also grew alot from the experience. The guy treated me like a daughter, always giving me advice to not get mixed into things that won't help me in the future and also giving me the confidence to continue working hard and studying for school instead of wasting away in night clubs and what not since I also used to be a cocktail waitress. (Don't tease me :/)

I just think it's amazing that people would go out of their way to help others, and no it wasn't a creepy guy trying to get with me he was just really nice, even when they don't even know you. I've had alot of conversations with random strangers whom I have learned alot from. ^_^
Since I was a kid up until my early 30's I was something of a bad person. I lied, cheated and stole to get by and hurt the people I cared about. Let's just say I had a pretty crappy life.

That all changed when I won the lotto a few years ago. On the way to cashing in my winning I was hit by a car and lost the ticket. Guess I had it coming. It was when I was in hospital watching Carson Daly that I learned about Karma. Turns out doing my first good deed led me back to my ticket! Since then I've been trying to right all the wrongs in my life with acts of kindness and my life's great!
Reply 75
Loads when I've been mountainbiking, people giving me spare parts, leading me body armour or tools, helping me when I've been injured, giving me tips. Same with kayaking. Great communities lol.
Reply 76
It sounds really retarded but when I was about 8 I got lost on a plane...yeah a plane, i went out of the toilet the wrong way... but I started getting all panicky when I couldnt find my mum but this really nice man lifted me up so I could see over all the seats to where my mum was :smile:

I was going into St Pancras station with my stupid broken suitcase and was struggling to carry it down the stairs and a man offered to carry it for me which was very nice :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by T-Toe
A large group of late teens (at the time) protected me from my 3 random black girls who were bullying me and my siblings (physically), those bullies were older than us (at the time).

They gave me a broken bottle, just encase the bullies wanted to start some more trouble.

If they weren't there/didn't take interest in us. They might have really beaten us up.

are you older than them now?
Reply 78
Original post by paella
Loads when I've been mountainbiking, people giving me spare parts, leading me body armour or tools, helping me when I've been injured, giving me tips. Same with kayaking. Great communities lol.

I completely agree with mountain biking, everyone who does it seems to be out to help each other :smile:.

Two main ones for me, both when I was fairly young:

When I was about 5-8yrs old (my memory sucks) I was in Spain with my parents on a holiday, and in my sleep I managed to walk to the front door of the apartment, unlock it and then proceed to wonder about. I then woke up completely naked and thoroughly lost and ran into a british policeman on holiday who helped me find my apartment and get back before my parents woke up :smile: they were relieved and very grateful to the guy obviously!

Another is when I was about 12 I had my first solo flight to Edinburgh which got redirected to Glasgow. All I knew when I got off the plane in Glasgow was that I had to get a bus but had no clue where to go and was feeling fairly sorry for myself when two old ladies (who were on my flight) looked after me and got me safely to Edinburgh!
So me and two other friends were riding back from the forest when my chain came off. I took my bike to the side of the road and started to fix it when a car pulled up, wound down the windows and the driver said 'dont want to get stuck out here guys, it will be getting dark soon'

It may not be an inspirational act of kindness but I dont exactly live in an area where strangers are kind and it was the thought that counted :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending