The Student Room Group

People you see EVERYDAY but still don't acknowledge your existence i.e. by saying hi

I don't understand why some people do this. I mean its not like their shy or anything, a lot of the time they're quite sociable people. And its not like I'm asking the person if we can become the best of buddies or anything. A quick greeting like hi would be sufficient.

Does anyone else get this?

Scroll to see replies

yep, its stupid!!!
Mm, a smile and a nod goes a long way. Some acknowledgement? I think it's silly of people to act like they don't know you unless you have a serious gap between the two of you (can't see eye to eye or something). But then again...maturity is a good thing! :smile:
Have you ever seen someone cross the road so they wouldn't bump into you?

I have. :emo:
Reply 4
Original post by + polarity -
Have you ever seen someone cross the road so they wouldn't bump into you?

I have. :emo:

I cross the road :frown:
I hate being near people, Id be happy to sit in my room for the rest of my life.
Reply 5
well, they might be shy or closed to themselves :smile:
Original post by Alex17595
I cross the road :frown:
I hate being near people, Id be happy to sit in my room for the rest of my life.

awks
Original post by Ice Constricter
I don't understand why some people do this. I mean its not like their shy or anything, a lot of the time they're quite sociable people. And its not like I'm asking the person if we can become the best of buddies or anything. A quick greeting like hi would be sufficient.

Why don't YOU say hi to THEM?
Reply 8
Original post by + polarity -
awks

Mainly because i hate crowds, people who walk slow :s-smilie: and Im awkward around people.
Original post by spinal.vortex
Why don't YOU say hi to THEM?

Before people generally greet each other they normally share eye contact, but with these kinds of people they don't even look in your direction so it'd be kind of awkward.
I know you mean, the bigots.
Yep :P
I say hello to them first, now those people who used to do this always seem to greet me first :biggrin:
For two years I got the bus with the same 10ish people every morning. None of us ever spoke. So lonely :nopity: Maybe you could say hi to them, I was just too embarrased to =D
It's the worst when someone gives you that "yeah I know I know you somehow but i'm still not going to say hello" look.
It depends entirely upon the person.

Some people I see regularly I'll acknowledge, even if I don't really know them at all, far more readily than others that I see just as regularly.

A lot of people, my self included really, don't see the point in this kind of interaction, and it's usually quite obvious if someone would rather not be disturbed.

Apparently the fact that I look perpetually pissed off makes people want to talk to me.
Reply 15

I get this all the time. There aren't that many friendly people these days, not in my area anyways. I give up on even trying to make eye contact sometimes, and saying "Hi" repeatedly can get a bit repetitive and pointless. I find it too awkward sometimes so I just don't.
Original post by concubine
It depends entirely upon the person.

Some people I see regularly I'll acknowledge, even if I don't really know them at all, far more readily than others that I see just as regularly.

A lot of people, my self included really, don't see the point in this kind of interaction, and it's usually quite obvious if someone would rather not be disturbed.

Apparently the fact that I look perpetually pissed off makes people want to talk to me.

hey man what's the matter are you all right?
Reply 17
It sorta depends on the person and most of the time, the situation aswell.
Maybe it is the screw face you mentioned the other day:wink:

This clip may go towards answering your question though

[video="youtube_share;DY1Riu58YGA"]http://youtu.be/DY1Riu58YGA[/video]
Before people generally greet each other they normally share eye contact, but with these kinds of people they don't even look in your direction so it'd be kind of awkward.

If they're not looking in your direction then how do you know that they're aware of you? :holmes:

As soon as someone looks at me I look away because I feel very uncomfortable sharing eye contact with people I know, let alone people I don't know. Maybe they have a similar view :dontknow:

You can't expect everyone who sees you on a day to day basis say hello to you. I saw a lot of the same people every day when I was at college, but I never said hi to them. Being in the same place at the same time is a coincidence and that's that, there's no social protocol dictating that you have to be nice to these people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending