The Student Room Group

Friend Advice

I don't want to sound like another annoying person just asking some strangers for serious relationship advice but I really don't know what to do... I'm going off to uni in a couple of days and have tried to stay in contact with all my friends. My best friend for 5+ years has been noticeably shutting me out since Christmas but i put it down to exam stress and no time because of studying but it put me in a tricky position. I wrongly or rightly only really hung out with her in my breaks at 6 form so cut myself off from new possible friend (I did make other friends in all my classes just to make that clear and i have friends outside of school). I only just recieved a reply from her after 2 weeks of silence when i asked her if she was ok ect... Turns out she has been doing an apprenteship, I know she has every right not to tell me everything but i feel like I'm the one who always messages (not too frequently to be annoying) and news like that it a big thing to be celebrated. Long story short i feel like im being cut off despite me giving her so much energy but space at the same time. She was meant to be my best friend.. I'm sorry if this is all non sense its just a big point in our lives with us moving to different areas. We were going to meet in the summer but that never happened so I met with others instead. I truly valued her as a friend but i haven't been getting anything back since Christmas. Advice? (Again I'm sorry for all the writing).
Hi,

Unfortunately, it sounds like (from her P.O.V. at least) that the friendship has run its course. There's a reason for that old saying "It takes two to tango". You've tried to reach out to her, and if she's not interested, then there's not really a lot that you can do... apart from hoping she'll have a change of heart some time in the future.

If it's any consolation, a lot of people lose contact with their friends from high-school / 6th Form when they start Uni... and it's normally these friendship groups that often last a lifetime. Depending on the calibre of your university, there's a chance you'll be meeting people from all sorts of different backgrounds (some of whom, you would probably never meet outside such an environment), and you'll change and mature in many ways you probably can't imagine right now.

Maybe you could try reaching out to her one last time when you're at Uni, and let her know what a blast you're having and she should come up for the weekend or something. If she doesn't accept that, then I think you just need to accept that the friendship is done.
Reply 2
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Hi,

Unfortunately, it sounds like (from her P.O.V. at least) that the friendship has run its course. There's a reason for that old saying "It takes two to tango". You've tried to reach out to her, and if she's not interested, then there's not really a lot that you can do... apart from hoping she'll have a change of heart some time in the future.

If it's any consolation, a lot of people lose contact with their friends from high-school / 6th Form when they start Uni... and it's normally these friendship groups that often last a lifetime. Depending on the calibre of your university, there's a chance you'll be meeting people from all sorts of different backgrounds (some of whom, you would probably never meet outside such an environment), and you'll change and mature in many ways you probably can't imagine right now.

Maybe you could try reaching out to her one last time when you're at Uni, and let her know what a blast you're having and she should come up for the weekend or something. If she doesn't accept that, then I think you just need to accept that the friendship is done.

Thank you, that's very sound advice. It is just a bit heart breaking after all the things were have been through together.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending