The Student Room Group

Possible to change course LAW to LAW and BUSINESS?

Well basically, I applied to Birmingham for Law, got my offer and everthing :biggrin:

I was just wandering if I could change the course though.
Recently, Ive been thinking that the business and law course is better and will help me more in the future because I want to go into financial/corporate law.

I would have thought that because Im holding an offer I wouldn't have to re-apply/re-sit LNAT?
and just send them a nice e-mail? lol

Is it possible for me to change this choice, from the staright Law degree, to the Business and Law degree?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by killa78
Well basically, I applied to Birmingham for Law, got my offer and everthing :biggrin:

I was just wandering if I could change the course though.
Recently, Ive been thinking that the business and law course is better and will help me more in the future because I want to go into financial/corporate law.

I would have thought that because Im holding an offer I wouldn't have to re-apply/re-sit LNAT?
and just send them a nice e-mail? lol

Is it possible for me to change this choice, from the staright Law degree, to the Business and Law degree?

Thank you :smile:

If I firm Birmingham aftef i recieve all my offers this is EXACTLY what I want to do! For the same reasons too, I ideally want to be working intellectual property/commerical so Business is key!
Do Law and Business if you want to study Business, but don't think that it will give you any advantage for corporate/financial law (indeed, it may give you a disadvantage. Business is not taken particularly seriously by law firms and you will miss out on some advanced subjects relevant to business law such as company law, commercial law, intellectual property, civil jurisdiction etc. because you won't have a lot of optional modules left to once you have studied the compulsory core law modules).

Have heard of people who have changed course at a late stage. Best to ask Birmingham ASAP if this is what you want to and hope that they still have space on their Law and Business course.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jacketpotato
Do Law and Business if you want to study Business, but don't think that it will give you any advantage for corporate/financial law (indeed, it may give you a disadvantage. Business is not taken particularly seriously by law firms and you will miss out on some advanced subjects relevant to business law such as company law, commercial law, intellectual property, civil jurisdiction etc. because you won't have a lot of optional modules left to once you have studied the compulsory core law modules).

Have heard of people who have changed course at a late stage. Best to ask Birmingham ASAP if this is what you want to and hope that they still have space on their Law and Business course.

Would it really be dis-advantageous in some aspects?
I'm thinking of going into finance after my degree if my Bar/LPC doesn't work out.
I was thinking this would be a better choice for that situation.

Is that not the case?
Thank you for your info :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by matt1291
If I firm Birmingham aftef i recieve all my offers this is EXACTLY what I want to do! For the same reasons too, I ideally want to be working intellectual property/commerical so Business is key!

Aha
So have you applied for the law/business course?
and you sat the LNAT? :smile:
Original post by killa78
Would it really be dis-advantageous in some aspects?
I'm thinking of going into finance after my degree if my Bar/LPC doesn't work out.
I was thinking this would be a better choice for that situation.

Is that not the case?
Thank you for your info :smile:

I definitely don't want to discourage you from something you want to do, but some employers take business less seriously than law because there is a perception that business is easy and law is hard. A law and business degree is still great though. My point is that wanting to do corporate/financial law is not a good reason in and of itself for doing law and business rather than straight law because it doesn't really change much as far as that career path is concerned.

Regarding finance law as per your original post (i.e. advising banks or advising companies that want to use debt), I don't think the Business part is massively helpful (I'm a junior lawyer working in the finance department of a major law firm fyi).

For working in Finance in a non-legal capacity as a banker or something, then the Business probably would be helpful. I don't really know, but I think jobs on the banking side will require a degree with some element of maths such as Economics or a Physical Science, but best to check with the people on the Finance/Banking forum.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jacketpotato
I definitely don't want to discourage you from something you want to do, but some employers take business less seriously than law because there is a perception that business is easy and law is hard. A law and business degree is still great though. My point is that wanting to do corporate/financial law is not a good reason in and of itself for doing law and business rather than straight law because it doesn't really change much as far as that career path is concerned.

Regarding finance law as per your original post (i.e. advising banks or advising companies that want to use debt), I don't think the Business part is massively helpful (I'm a junior lawyer working in the finance department of a major law firm fyi).

For working in Finance in a non-legal capacity as a banker or something, then the Business probably would be helpful. I don't really know, but I think jobs on the banking side will require a degree with some element of maths such as Economics or a Physical Science, but best to check with the people on the Finance/Banking forum.

thank you for the reply!
Really appreciated :smile:

Guess this requires more research on my part although I'll robably just stick to straight law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending