The Student Room Group

What's your view on the Niq'ab and Hij'ab?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by jismith1989
What's your opinion on the cummerbund?

Is that the persian clothing? I've never seen anyone wear it around me, only on Google Images. :colone:
Reply 61
Why is this inane topic being brought up yet again, it is quite boring, it seemed not to bother the media or involved politics for the last ~1433 years and in these last 5 years it does as more women began to shed their clothes.

The niq'ab and the hij'ab isn't offensive and please don't provide the excuse it makes some men feel discriminated, why is it a lack of clothes doesn't make these men feel perverse? Plus, the added fact the niq'ab and the hij'ab are not representative of that view, more about maintaining their piety then not trying to warrant attention because that didn't work very effectively in Egypt in 2006 or 2008 on Eid where mobs of men were chasing female Muslim citizens irrespective of their clothing. Deplorable and vulgar.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 62
I don't think the niqab should be allowed in public just as I don't think people should be allowed to walk around in public wearing a balaclava or a hockey mask, however the hijab is ok.

But they do both offend me greatly. They are in effect saying they think all white men are sexual predators and will rape them for not covering their face completely.
Original post by Mujeriego

FWIW, I like and respect the headscarf. I have no qualms about it at all except in the case of parents who make their young daughters wear it. It's a woman's garment designed to conceal womanly curves so it has no place in a little girl's wardrobe. As for the niqab I am still undecided. I know a handful of girls who freely wear it out of their own choice. I just don't understand why you would wear one in Europe. There is no need. Niqabis to me seem to wear it out of vanity and not piety.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS! I am not sure about the Niqab though and if women do choose to wear it out of their own free will.
Reply 64
Original post by #Funky
I'm British and I don't find it degrading. I find things such as wearing a mini-skirt and a shirt where the bra is clearly seen through it is degrading.

I'd rather a woman cover up than walk around naked. Both the Niq'ab and Hij'ab are nice.

Seriously, where do you see this? Saturday nights out in Essex isn't very representative of women on the whole. I don't tend to see this from Non-Muslim women ordinarily, most are decently covered up tbh.
Do you know what is equally as stupid? The premise that a superficial cloth makes you invisible and erases your identity. It is quite simple. Present one extreme and I'll present the other. Newsflash: strangers don't want to share their feelings or thoughts with you.

-- Edit: Celebrating Christmas doesn't make you any more a Christian than eating kinder eggs at Easter. Jesus doesn't care about December 25th.

Okay, think of it from a scientific perspective. We're programmed to look for faces, it's why people see John Lennon in bits of toast, and why we can have films about anthropomorphic cars. Now try saying faces aren't important.
Original post by #Funky
Is that the persian clothing? I've never seen anyone wear it around me, only on Google Images. :colone:
No, it's formal European dress, goes around the waist; I was being flippant. :biggrin:

(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Broderss
I don't think the niqab should be allowed in public just as I don't think people should be allowed to walk around in public wearing a balaclava or a hockey mask, however the hijab is ok.

But they do both offend me greatly. They are in effect saying they think all white men are sexual predators and will rape them for not covering their face completely.

Muslim women wear headscarves in their own countries as well. This debate clearly isn't one of your strong points. Shouldn't you be in H&R whining about how all white girls are having sex with black men?
Reply 68
No, it's formal European dress, goes around the waist; I was being flippant. :biggrin:

Ah. The dress of a waitor! It was apdated from the persian culture.
Reply 69
Original post by Eloise987
Okay, think of it from a scientific perspective. We're programmed to look for faces, it's why people see John Lennon in bits of toast, and why we can have films about anthropomorphic cars. Now try saying faces aren't important.

You're discussing this on a forum. You can't see anyones face, having problems? :confused:
Original post by #Funky
Ah. The dress of a waitor! It was apdated from the persian culture.
Interesting. Wikipedia says that the term comes ultimately from a Persian phrase meaning "waistband", but the word came into English via Hindi/Urdu and the item of clothing was originally adopted by the British in India. Also, kummerbund in German means "ribbon of sorrow".
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 71
Interesting. Wikipedia says that the term comes from a Persian phrase meaning "waistband", but the word came via Hindi/Urdu and the item of clothing was originally adopted by the British in India. Also, kummerbund in German means "ribbon of sorrow".

Haha! Interesting indeed.

Arab and Asian cultures interlap a lot!

BRB. Need to go for a break!
Original post by #Funky
You're discussing this on a forum. You can't see anyones face, having problems? :confused:

For the last bloody time WE DON'T SPEND ALL OUR TIME ON THE INTERNET OR ON THE PHONE.
Reply 73
I wear the headscarf and, and NOBODY has forced me to wear it!!!! I'm 17 and only started about a year ago I feel the hijab is a big part of me now, where I feel incomplete without it.
However although I understand the full veil, I don't think I would be able to wear it.
just an opinion.
Original post by #Funky
Hello,

I've seen an increasing amount of girls starting to wear the Niq'ab and Hij'ab.

What are your views on it? What do you think? Should they wear it in the United Kingdom? If not then why?

Is this extreme?

Do I hear the word "Burka"?
Reply 75
Let people have their liberties,
Reply 76
Original post by LoveAll
I wear the headscarf and, and NOBODY has forced me to wear it!!!! I'm 17 and only started about a year ago I feel the hijab is a big part of me now, where I feel incomplete without it.
However although I understand the full veil, I don't think I would be able to wear it.
just an opinion.

:smile:
Reply 77
Everyone's entitled to their opinions and beliefs though thats not to say that one is right and the other is wrong. People can choose to live their life the way they want. Just because they are different doesn't mean we have a right to attack them or their beliefs. Someone wearing a niq'ab or hij'ab has no direct impact on our lives, so why should we highlight it as being a problem or form as extremism?!
Reply 78
Muslim women wear headscarves in their own countries as well. This debate clearly isn't one of your strong points. Shouldn't you be in H&R whining about how all white girls are having sex with black men?

That's because in their home countries men usually are. The fact they wear it in their home country makes no difference to the offence it causes me, because the fact is they still feel the need not to allow white men to look at their faces for fear of us raping them. How would they feel if I went around sticking stickers of the Star of David onto every Muslim I saw? They'd be offended wouldn't they.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Aimes_14
Everyone's entitled to their opinions and beliefs though thats not to say that one is right and the other is wrong. People can choose to live their life the way they want. Just because they are different doesn't mean we have a right to attack them or their beliefs. Someone wearing a niq'ab or hij'ab has no direct impact on our lives, so why should we highlight it as being a problem or form as extremism?!

Could not have put that better. I completely agree in the 'as long as it does not affect me...' statement.
On a lighter note a Bruno Mars fan! Had to bring it up as I'm sat in the library listening to 'Grenade' this very moment! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending