The Student Room Group

Would you let your DAUGHTER with a MALE babysitter?

Scroll to see replies

Well I would only let my family babysit any of my kids so if it was like an uncle or something like that then yes. Otherwise,if it was a stranger, I wouldn't even let a woman take care of her.

So I can't answer yes or no
Unless it was a friend or family member, **** no.
Original post by d123
Yes, but that doesn't mean that all men are paedophiles! For me personally, I would only have a babysitter I knew and trusted anyway, so whether they are male or female I would have no worries about leaving my children with them. I had male babysitters when I was little and they were brilliant.

I actually can't believe that so many people have voted 'no' on the poll!

Obviously not because I am not a paedophile and I'm a man. But, it was just a general point. I guess people are traditional like that. Females tend to be much more motherly like which is what most people are looking for in a babysitter.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 43
It depends who the man is and the age of the daughter. If he was a family member I trusted or a close friend and the daughter was very young, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. If she was in her teens, I wouldn't let any man babysit her. Why take the risk when there are women available to do it?
Reply 44
This society we live in has gone mental. Not all men are pedophiles.
I was babysat by my neighbour when I was younger who was a guy ( and still is of course )
And hey I'm still alive and fine,
It's really not that big of a deal
Reply 46
No unlesss i know them well, like a family member or friend, but not a random baby sitter.

Why would you need a baby sitter, its your duty as a parent, dont want the responsibility? close your legs

unless you a have a suitable reason.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by SoulfulBoy
Racist.:rolleyes:

So it's racist to not leave a child with a black babysitter but not sexist to not leave a child with a male babysitter? Logic fail.

I love how everyone here is assuming that female paedophiles don't exist. It seems that the majority of people have an image of a paedophile in their head, usually male, white, middle-aged, fat and ugly. This is dangerous. Anyone of any age, gender, colour or creed could be a paedophile. Do not, by any means, judge a book by its cover.

On topic, I'd have no problem leaving my child with a male (or indeed female) babysitter as long as I trusted them 110%.
Original post by shark67
This society we live in has gone mental. Not all men are pedophiles.

Aye. In fact, let's be clear on this: virtually no men are paedophiles, and of the tiny handful that are, only a small fraction would ever act on it.

I hate to be so cliched about it, but your daughter is at far more risk crossing the road with you than she is being left with a male babysitter!
Reply 49
Original post by Spexzzz
No unlesss i know them well, like a family member or friend, but not a random baby sitter.

Why would you need a baby sitter, its your duty as a parent, dont want the responsibility? close your legs

unless you a have a suitable reason.

There's nothing wrong with needing a babysitter! I've done a fair bit of babysitting, and when I was younger, my parents used to go out in the evening and leave us with a babysitter, always someone we knew well. I never minded - I'd much rather they went out and had a good time than didn't have a life of their own and were miserable or anything. Being a parent doesn't mean you should drop everything and never leave the house without your children. Yes, leaving your kids with a babysitter every night of the week isn't right, but it's hardly irresponsible to go to the theatre, or the cinema, or for a nice meal with friends. It would be very selfish to stop someone doing that. As long as they don't go out all the time, make time for their children, and make sure that the alternative arrangements for the child's care have been made properly, I honestly don't see a problem with it.
Reply 50
Original post by d123
There's nothing wrong with needing a babysitter! I've done a fair bit of babysitting, and when I was younger, my parents used to go out in the evening and leave us with a babysitter, always someone we knew well. I never minded - I'd much rather they went out and had a good time than didn't have a life of their own and were miserable or anything. Being a parent doesn't mean you should drop everything and never leave the house without your children. Yes, leaving your kids with a babysitter every night of the week isn't right, but it's hardly irresponsible to go to the theatre, or the cinema, or for a nice meal with friends. It would be very selfish to stop someone doing that. As long as they don't go out all the time, make time for their children, and make sure that the alternative arrangements for the child's care have been made properly, I honestly don't see a problem with it.

suitable reason, includes going out for a meal without the kids, emergencies, possible work.

Allot of wealthy parent tend to ditch their kids with sitters because they can, as well as peasants who dump their kids on friends or family whilst they go out to the bookies and so on.
Depends on who the babysitter is. Some unqualified sixteen year old boy, no ... but the same would be true for a sixteen year old girl.

A qualified and experienced male babysitter with CRB checks? Sure. Same as I'd leave my son with a similar female babysitter.

However, either would only be in desperation - I'd far rather leave my child with a family member.
Original post by Digit_Five
Apparently the US National Clearhouse statistic says child abuse is perpetrated by women in 50% - 70% of all cases.

Really? I wouldn't of thought it would be that high, going by media coverage. Learn a new thing everyday then.
Reply 53
Original post by TheSownRose
Depends on who the babysitter is. Some unqualified sixteen year old boy, no ... but the same would be true for a sixteen year old girl.

A qualified and experienced male babysitter with CRB checks? Sure. Same as I'd leave my son with a similar female babysitter.

However, either would only be in desperation - I'd far rather leave my child with a family member.

I don't think qualifications really matter. I think what's important is that the child knows the babysitter beforehand, whether that's because they're a family member, or a friend of the family, or some other connection. I think kids respond better to that - the kids I babysit were once babysat by some qualified girl and they didn't like it at all, but when I babysit for them they like it, and are incredibly well-behaved and everything. It's the friendship you build up with the children that makes you a decent babysitter, not whether you've done a course in childcare or not. I just think qualifications are unnecessary for being a babysitter.
Reply 54
There's no good reason not to. People that have an idea of paedophilia are just prejudiced.
Yes.
Reply 56
man? yeah sure, might stop me from entering her myself.
not unless it was a family member.
Same goes for a female babysitter. I don't use strangers as babysitters.
Reply 58
Original post by jolteon
man? yeah sure, might stop me from entering her myself.

Just to let you know, the depression and the self hatred is only going to get worse, so life is not going to be easy for you bro. A damn shame.

Anyway, i would only leave her with two people and that's my cousin and my dad, no one else. If a male was to offer, i'd be under a self imposed obligation to pound his face in. Why? Because babysitting young girls must be boring, so why do YOU want to do it, when clubs are open and there's ladies to be wooing?
No. I have little trust in humans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending