The Student Room Group

Queries about dropping out

Thinking about leaving uni and then reapplying to study a different course for the next year. I would try and take my exams in July. Is it too late to apply and write a personal statement and do everything again? Is it technically possible and would i have any disadvantages due to the lateness of my application? I got ABB last year and would hope with retakes to get 3 As.

Thanks for any help.
I'd say it's too late. You have better chance talking about your current uni and see what you can do about changing course internally.
Original post by ritchie888
I'd say it's too late. You have better chance talking about your current uni and see what you can do about changing course internally.

I agree. I think it'd be best to attempt to switch courses at the same University, instead of leaving and then re-applying to a different one. It'll be too much of a hassle. Good luck! :wink:
Reply 3
Thanks guys, however if i really was determined to reapply this year could it actually be technically possible? Say if i get my application in before the new year, will top universities still be giving out offers? Is resitting exams in July that much of an obscure idea?
Original post by ellruby
Thanks guys, however if i really was determined to reapply this year could it actually be technically possible? Say if i get my application in before the new year, will top universities still be giving out offers? Is resitting exams in July that much of an obscure idea?

Yes it is possible, but very difficult. You would be unlikely to get a reference prior to the new year. All universities (except Oxford and Cambridge) have to consider you on equal merit prior to the UCAS deadline. I would strongly advise against it though as you are unlikely to get it all in on time.
Original post by ellruby

Of course you could re-sit your exams, but as you mentioned that you wished to re-apply for a different course, I assumed that you weren't happy with the course you were already doing. You could certainly have a chance with the top Universities, but that strongly depends on your A-Level grades, and your Personal Statement.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just extremely difficult at this stage. :smile:
Original post by toronto353
Yes it is possible, but very difficult. You would be unlikely to get a reference prior to the new year. All universities (except Oxford and Cambridge) have to consider you on equal merit prior to the UCAS deadline. I would strongly advise against it though as you are unlikely to get it all in on time.

I've seen people get an application together in a matter of days - one friend decided on October 14th to apply to Cambridge, got it together and sent it off in time and got in - and, seeing as OP has a month, I think the discouraging it a bit premature.
Original post by TheSownRose
I've seen people get an application together in a matter of days - one friend decided on October 14th to apply to Cambridge, got it together and sent it off in time and got in - and, seeing as OP has a month, I think the discouraging it a bit premature.

I am being realistic. If this was November and the deadline was December, it would be fine. There are references to get together which it will be unlikely to get done over Christmas - and Christmas is that little thing which will get in the way of any application. I am offering my opinion that it is unlikely that he can do it, by all means he is free to do it, but I would advise against it and look at other options, such as trying to transfer courses within the uni, as mentioned before.
Original post by ellruby

Yes, it is possible and, as I said to toronto353, I think the discouraging is a bit premature. If you can prepare your application including the PS and contact someone (uni tutor, former school/college teacher, etc) for a reference*, and enter for the resits over the Christmas, then I'd say you have a good chance - deadline for equal consideration is 15th of January, so you have a month.

* Get onto this soon, before they go for Christmas.
Original post by TheSownRose
Yes, it is possible and, as I said to toronto353, I think the discouraging is a bit premature. If you can prepare your application including the PS and contact someone (uni tutor, former school/college teacher, etc) for a reference*, and enter for the resits over the Christmas, then I'd say you have a good chance - deadline for equal consideration is 15th of January, so you have a month.

* Get onto this soon, before they go for Christmas.

I am not discouraging ellruby as such, so please stop saying that. I am saying that other options are preferable given the fact that most institutions will be closing this week and hence writing references may be delayed until after Christmas at the earliest. This puts a lot of pressure on the applicant to get everything done quickly and, when it is easier to get things done if you stay in the same institution, I don't see why you should necessarily go through UCAS if you can get it sorted quickly.

Also, furthermore, in reality, there are two weeks to get this application fully done. Yes it is one month for everything else, but the reference won't be done this week and is unlikely to be anywhere near complete until the colleges etc start back. This will mean that everything will begin to come together around 8th January, not long to make sure everything is correct and to send it off.
I am not discouraging ellruby as such, so please stop saying that. I am saying that other options are preferable given the fact that most institutions will be closing this week and hence writing references may be delayed until after Christmas at the earliest. This puts a lot of pressure on the applicant to get everything done quickly and, when it is easier to get things done if you stay in the same institution, I don't see why you should necessarily go through UCAS if you can get it sorted quickly.

Also, furthermore, in reality, there are two weeks to get this application fully done. Yes it is one month for everything else, but the reference won't be done this week and is unlikely to be anywhere near complete until the colleges etc start back. This will mean that everything will begin to come together around 8th January, not long to make sure everything is correct and to send it off.

It may be easier to, but then we have no information about why ellruby wants to leave university - if it's for the course then yes, arranging a transfer would be a preferrable option. However, if she's unhappy with the uni itself, then applying elsewhere is the only other option.

Yes, it would be rushed and in practice would be done in a couple of weeks because Christmas is right in the middle ... but like I said, I've seen people do it in a few days and there is time if she's smart about it. Like I say, get her part of it all done over Christmas so it's just a case of adding a reference closer to the deadline.
surely it's too late to enter for july resits now?

I must agree with TheSownRose. I put together my application in an evening, referee put in reference following day, sent off and got 5 offers.

It's definitely possible OP, and I'd say it's realistic to get it done, but you will need to make sure that you have a referee who can write you a reference before the January deadline - everything else is just down to you filling in the application form on UCAS Apply :smile:

You'll need to get onto this right away, and if you're asking a school teacher for a referee, then they're probably still in term-time for another few days, but they won't have unlimited free time!

If you send it off by the January deadline then the universities are obliged to give you equal consideration to other applicants, and providing you're not applying for courses requiring well above your grades, I see no reason for you not to be accepted with a good PS and reference :smile:

If you do apply now, just apply alongside your current course - if you don't get any offers back, then you still have a university place.

It's also not too late to enter for July examinations for the major exam boards, but again, that needs to be sorted early in the new year :smile:

Best of luck whatever you decide to do!
(edited 13 years ago)
Your college tutors will no doubt be busy enough doing references and helping applicants who are currently at the college, and they will take priority over you I'm afraid. By all means contact them and see what they say, but don't get your hopes up about it, as teachers will want a Christmas holiday too! You haven't given them a lot of time to do anything about it. Why not talk to your university supervisor to see if they can suggest an alternative?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending