The Student Room Group

No tuition fee loan

Hi

I have studied Pharmacy in the past but unfortunately had to resit a year. I then dropped out as I was going through a really bad time, with divorce etc.

I want to study Nursing (Mental Health) and have applied.

My student finance entitlement has the full maintenance loan, but the tuition fee loan is £0.

I will be entitled to Universal Credit during my studies by the looks of it, but the NHS Learning Support Fund is dependent on me being entitled to the SFE tuition fee I think?

Is there anything I can do? I'm feeling pretty desperate.
Original post by MaturePharm1
Hi

I have studied Pharmacy in the past but unfortunately had to resit a year. I then dropped out as I was going through a really bad time, with divorce etc.

I want to study Nursing (Mental Health) and have applied.

My student finance entitlement has the full maintenance loan, but the tuition fee loan is £0.

I will be entitled to Universal Credit during my studies by the looks of it, but the NHS Learning Support Fund is dependent on me being entitled to the SFE tuition fee I think?

Is there anything I can do? I'm feeling pretty desperate.

Have you queried why you won't be receiving a tuition fee loan? According to the following thread, nursing qualifies as an exception course:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7380488

It might be worth logging into your student finance account during office hours and then use the live chat function to raise a query.

It's also worth contacting the NHS LSF, as you may be considered if you qualify for just the maintenance loan.
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
Have you queried why you won't be receiving a tuition fee loan? According to the following thread, nursing qualifies as an exception course:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7380488

It might be worth logging into your student finance account during office hours and then use the live chat function to raise a query.

It's also worth contacting the NHS LSF, as you may be considered if you qualify for just the maintenance loan.

I'm on call with them now and they are taking my previous study into account despite me telling them about the rules. They don't seem to know about this.
I'm on call with them now and they are taking my previous study into account despite me telling them about the rules. They don't seem to know about this.

Ask them why your course isn't an exception course.
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
Ask them why your course isn't an exception course.

Hi thanks

I think it's eventually sorted. They said that they are sending my case for reassessment and I should hear back within 4-5 working days. He didn't seem to want to commit to telling me that I will receive the tuition fee loan though. Stressful.
Reply 5
What was the outcome please ?
Hi thanks

I think it's eventually sorted. They said that they are sending my case for reassessment and I should hear back within 4-5 working days. He didn't seem to want to commit to telling me that I will receive the tuition fee loan though. Stressful.

Hi what was the outcome please. I am in the same predicament.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Thula Ndebele
Hi what was the outcome please. I am in the same predicament.

A quote from a SFE rep responding to another query (post #4 on https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7398193 ):

"Hi there, Nursing is an exception course as long as you're not registered already in the field. We don't look at your previous study for this as those courses attract undergraduate funding."

You need to challenge SFE if you believe you are eligible but they say you are not entitled.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending