The Student Room Group

French books, help please :)

Hello :smile:

I was wondering if anybody could recommend any french fiction books that are a good read. Im in my first year of my degree so pretty competant, i've just read 'les liaisons dangereuses', which was good but I really would prefer something more modern.
Also good grammar books, I really need to put the grammar points I know into practice so preferably something with lots of exercises.
Thank you

:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by welshsweetypie

I was wondering if anybody could recommend any french fiction books that are a good read. Im in my first year of my degree so pretty competant, i've just read 'les liaisons dangereuses', which was good but I really would prefer something more modern.
Also good grammar books, I really need to put the grammar points I know into practice so preferably something with lots of exercises.
Thank you

Did you stufy any novels for A2?
If you haven t some of them might be good to look at.
I can post uo a list if you want
Original post by welshsweetypie

Thank you

I quite liked Le Silence de la Mer - it's a collection of short stories about the experiences of living in occupied France. As far as grammar books are concerned, by far the best that I've used recently is French Grammar in Context, which is full of exercises and has the added benefit of being written specifically for students at our level (first-year degree students).

Hope this helps!
I'm not degree-level, but would second 'Le Silence de la Mer'.

Also, something I'm reading at the moment is 'No et Moi' by Delphine De Vigan (http://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Moi-Delphine-Vigan/dp/225312480X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292625241&sr=1-1) which I'm really enjoying. :h:
Reply 4
Amélie Nothomb is meant to be quite good, although I've not read anything by her, on the other hand, I absolutely Adore Anna Gavalda, and Guillaume Musso isn't bad either. They're both pretty easy to read and they write the kind of books you won't leave once you start them.
Reply 5
Well, the Little Prince, obviously. It'll make you all :moon: and the words are pretty easy. Guy de Maupassant's pretty good as well because he did a lot of short stories that it's not too onerous to read through; my brother read him at GCSE :O

If you find reading prose all in Frog is a bit heavy, try a comic book. I've read some of XIII (which is just a more Belgian version of the Bourne Identity) and Tintin (which is gloriously, gloriously racist) and Titeuf (which will teach you a lot of colloquialisms). If you ever go to France on holiday you can easily find volumes of these for souvenirs.

Oh, sorry, first year of degree. Probably want to go for some more real books then. I'll leave the post up in case others at lower levels are interested.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Titeuf :rofl:
Reply 7
thank you, I got no et moi off amazon which is good and a book by anna gavalda!
Reply 8
Have you read any Camus? Sorry if that sounds silly...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending