The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ShiFty Kid
Urm, no longer wanna do the overtime I stupidy accepted. Do I just phone HR or something and let them know I cant do it that day?

I would say it's very unlikely. I signed up for it and went back the next day to change it and they had already wrote me into the rota.. I didn't really push it at that point, but you could try speaking to the person who does it in your department? I would have thought they would want a good reason though maybe.
Reply 7201
Urm, no longer wanna do the overtime I stupidy accepted. Do I just phone HR or something and let them know I cant do it that day?

You would have to talk to your manager and give them a very good reason. Once you accept overtime, it is written into your contracted hours. HR doesn't deal with department rotas so it's no use talking to them.
Original post by Spazzycazzy
Do we have to fill out a back to work after being off sick? I haven't done one of those the last 3 times I have been off, not been asked to. I have been there 2 years now though, so does that mean I should be paid?

yes you are meant to, i think its because until youve signed one saying youre fit to work, you're not covered by insurance

warehouse is a MESS. they have ordered so much stock in and we have crap loads more coming, i don't know where they're going to put it cos there is literally no room. deliveries are being parked in the yard cos there's nowhere for them to go.
Original post by FXX
You would have to talk to your manager and give them a very good reason. Once you accept overtime, it is written into your contracted hours. HR doesn't deal with department rotas so it's no use talking to them.

Argh, I don't want to talk to my manager though because they'll kinda force me into it. What happens if you just don't go? :P
Did anyone else have a sign taped near the clock-in area saying we were getting paid on the 30th instead of 31st?
are we?? that'd be nice :biggrin:
Reply 7206
Argh, I don't want to talk to my manager though because they'll kinda force me into it. What happens if you just don't go? :P

Your manager and team leaders won't like you, you'll leave the team short staffed so everyone else has to do more to fill in the gap you leave, you're bound to annoy someone else by taking potential overtime from them, and generally you'll look like a tit and may wind up with a disciplinary. If you be honest and upfront you'll get far more respect than if you just don't turn up - people don't say nice things about others who don't turn up for overtime; by saying yes you're saying you're free to work, so unless you're ill, everyone expects you to turn up. The manager will be annoyed, yes, but if the tables were turned the other way so would you.
(edited 13 years ago)

disciplinary for phoning in sick/not turning up

(that's what happens to us anyway)
Original post by FXX
Your manager and team leaders won't like you, you'll leave the team short staffed so everyone else has to do more to fill in the gap you leave, you're bound to annoy someone else by taking potential overtime from them, and generally you'll look like a tit and may wind up with a disciplinary. If you be honest and upfront you'll get far more respect than if you just don't turn up - people don't say nice things about others who don't turn up for overtime; by saying yes you're saying you're free to work, so unless you're ill, everyone expects you to turn up. The manager will be annoyed, yes, but if the tables were turned the other way so would you.

Right, I'll just do it. But tell them im not working Christmas Eve. Simply because I can't.
Original post by xangelinax
Did anyone else have a sign taped near the clock-in area saying we were getting paid on the 30th instead of 31st?

Nope. But I like it :biggrin:
Right, I'll just do it. But tell them im not working Christmas Eve. Simply because I can't.

why didn't you give them more notice if you knew you couldn't work xmas eve? :confused: it's no good coming to the week and saying oh i can't work x day.
Had a wierd day today. Was very busy, but because we had all the checkouts open it didn't feel too bad :biggrin: And according to our store manager we took about £130k today!
Original post by inksplodge
why didn't you give them more notice if you knew you couldn't work xmas eve? :confused: it's no good coming to the week and saying oh i can't work x day.

Because they didnt tell me i'd have to work until only yesterday?! I even asked at the interview if I'd have to work christmas eve and he said no you shouldnt have to.. So yeah.
Reply 7213
Because they didnt tell me i'd have to work until only yesterday?! I even asked at the interview if I'd have to work christmas eve and he said no you shouldnt have to.. So yeah.

Did you tell them yesterday you couldn't work it or did you say 'okay'?
Original post by FXX
Did you tell them yesterday you couldn't work it or did you say 'okay'?

No I did tell him I couldnt work it yesterday but he kinda just brushed it aside and said I am anyways? So we'll see I guess. He said it's increased pay? How much would it be increased by? I'm on £7.50 an hour for night shift but he said it would be during the day 12 till 7pm. So how much would it be an hour ya think?
Unusually quiet today...

The calm before the storm methinks.
Do we get paid any extra for working New Years day or not??
Going back to work as I've come home from uni.
Worked on checkouts for 2 years, but doing clothing this time round, how is clothing??What do you mainly do? Is it better or worse than checkouts? xx
Original post by Pink_Chocolate xx
Do we get paid any extra for working New Years day or not??
Going back to work as I've come home from uni.
Worked on checkouts for 2 years, but doing clothing this time round, how is clothing??What do you mainly do? Is it better or worse than checkouts? xx

you get paid bank holiday premium for working new years day
No I did tell him I couldnt work it yesterday but he kinda just brushed it aside and said I am anyways? So we'll see I guess. He said it's increased pay? How much would it be increased by? I'm on £7.50 an hour for night shift but he said it would be during the day 12 till 7pm. So how much would it be an hour ya think?

you didn't say you were night shift :tongue: i don't think you get extra for working xmas eve, i didn't last year anyway ... my understanding is it's the bank holiday monday & new years day you get bank holiday premium on... and yeah, a couple of our people have to work 4 til 7 on xmas eve. stupid since we finish at 7am, they're not going to get much sleep. i don't have to work xmas eve though its a contracted day :/ i was able to work other days though. i think you'll still get paid £7.50 an hour... but don't quote me on that, cos i'm not 100% sure.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7219
I'm working from midnight tonight. I'm going to be a wreck tomorrow morning :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending