The Student Room Group

FALMOUTH UNIVERSITY COLLEGE? please help ....

I do love the look of this uni, but do you know if i'st hard to get in to? And is it as good as the prospectus makes it look? Would it be worth travelling from Birmingham - obvs. not everyday but quite often ?
any help will be awesome :smile:
Original post by Zoe Edwards
I do love the look of this uni, but do you know if i'st hard to get in to? And is it as good as the prospectus makes it look? Would it be worth travelling from Birmingham - obvs. not everyday but quite often ?
any help will be awesome :smile:

Depends on the course obviously. Very good uni for arts, extremely hard to get into for my course. I dunno how long it would take you to travel there, takes me about 7 hours from London. I want to get as far away from London for uni, so it suits me :biggrin: It's my second choice of uni.
Reply 2
Original post by Moooooooose
Depends on the course obviously. Very good uni for arts, extremely hard to get into for my course. I dunno how long it would take you to travel there, takes me about 7 hours from London. I want to get as far away from London for uni, so it suits me :biggrin: It's my second choice of uni.

The courses I'm looking at are Eng. and creative writing or Eng. and media, don't you think the website makes it look amazing? and I'm from Birmingham so I would really appreciate the coast and the country and I am an ‘out-doorsy’ person so I'd much rather this than another city, what is your course if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 3

Which course would that be? I thought all their courses asked for CCD-CCC?

OP: Two of my friends went down to look at Falmouth and both really liked what they saw - the 6 hour drive was worth it I believe :smile: Yeah, it doesn't have the best reputation, but if the course is what you want to be studying for three years, go for it!
Reply 4
Original post by Wookie42

OP: Two of my friends went down to look at Falmouth and both really liked what they saw - the 6 hour drive was worth it I believe :smile: Yeah, it doesn't have the best reputation, but if the course is what you want to be studying for three years, go for it!

Hi there, I was wondering what you meant by it doesn't have the best reputation?.....like it doesn't teach well or because its an arts college ?
Reply 5
Hi there, I was wondering what you meant by it doesn't have the best reputation?.....like it doesn't teach well or because its an arts college ?

If you're someone who worries about league table rankings, Falmouth isn't the best - for example, it lies 85th/122 on The Times rankings.
Original post by Wookie42

I'm applying for Photography. I expect they require something like EE for Photography. I wouldn't know because it's 99% portfolio. It's really good for Arty subjects, the amount of EU grants they get is f**king crazy, they're building new buildings every year. Something to do with "Improving cornwall". I've already been down there twice (Once for the open day, the second time was a Student Shadowing day where you follow some first years round for the day) The second time I went down by myself, it was terrifying but it shows how lovely the uni is for me to brave the 7 hour train journey- especially as the first time I went, the journey actually took 11 hours due to the train brakes failing.

Night life isn't amazing, but apparently there's loads of pubs and stuff there.
Reply 7
I'm applying for Photography. I expect they require something like EE for Photography. I wouldn't know because it's 99% portfolio. It's really good for Arty subjects, the amount of EU grants they get is f**king crazy, they're building new buildings every year. Something to do with "Improving cornwall". I've already been down there twice (Once for the open day, the second time was a Student Shadowing day where you follow some first years round for the day) The second time I went down by myself, it was terrifying but it shows how lovely the uni is for me to brave the 7 hour train journey- especially as the first time I went, the journey actually took 11 hours due to the train brakes failing.

Night life isn't amazing, but apparently there's loads of pubs and stuff there.

Yeah I read that they are getting building something else for 2012, which is great, that's when I would be applying :smile: Are you applying for 2011? And how was the open day? I'm going to the one in Feb, it'll be my first open day and I have no idea what to expect :smile:

And I much prefer pubs but people have said there are a couple of rave clubs down there! :smile:
Yeah I read that they are getting building something else for 2012, which is great, that's when I would be applying :smile: Are you applying for 2011? And how was the open day? I'm going to the one in Feb, it'll be my first open day and I have no idea what to expect :smile:

And I much prefer pubs but people have said there are a couple of rave clubs down there! :smile:

Yup I'm applying for 2011, the Uni I'm studying at still hasn't sent my UCAS off yet though :mad: The open day was cool, I'm mad and must have been to about 8 open days by now (I originally wanted to study English, then Politics and now Photography :tongue:) so some of them have sort of merged together. But the facilities were so good, the location is nice and peaceful too. Umm well the only club one of the first years mentioned was one that "sweated through the walls" because it took like double its allowed capacity. Sounds pretty horrible to me!
Reply 9
Yup I'm applying for 2011, the Uni I'm studying at still hasn't sent my UCAS off yet though :mad: The open day was cool, I'm mad and must have been to about 8 open days by now (I originally wanted to study English, then Politics and now Photography :tongue:) so some of them have sort of merged together. But the facilities were so good, the location is nice and peaceful too. Umm well the only club one of the first years mentioned was one that "sweated through the walls" because it took like double its allowed capacity. Sounds pretty horrible to me!

oh! yeah, i'll stick to the pubs then! :smile:
they haven't sent your UCAS off?! they're cutting it tight!! You must be so annoyed, although isn't the final deadline Jan 4th?
8 is a lot!! but at least u really do get a feel for what they're about and stuff :smile:
I'm from Birmingham, so I will appriciate the country and the coast SO much! In fact I'm that determined to get in, I'm tempted to apply for three courses at the uni, (eng/creative writing, eng/media and theatre and performance) I'm so willing to take the risk! ACTUALLY I would have a better chance of getting in! Do you think it's worth it? :smile:
oh! yeah, i'll stick to the pubs then! :smile:
they haven't sent your UCAS off?! they're cutting it tight!! You must be so annoyed, although isn't the final deadline Jan 4th?
8 is a lot!! but at least u really do get a feel for what they're about and stuff :smile:
I'm from Birmingham, so I will appriciate the country and the coast SO much! In fact I'm that determined to get in, I'm tempted to apply for three courses at the uni, (eng/creative writing, eng/media and theatre and performance) I'm so willing to take the risk! ACTUALLY I would have a better chance of getting in! Do you think it's worth it? :smile:

No, the deadline is Jan 15th (I hope, otherwise I may be screwed!). Oh yeah, I'm from London and all the unis I've applied to aren't in London- I just need to get out. Well I was advised not to apply to the same uni more than once, because apparently the uni can see when you have and may look unfavourably on it. It does show you're pretty indecisive I guess. It's up to you really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending