The Student Room Group

Philosophy undergraduate doesn't know what to do with life.

I'm looking for a little of inspiration here, perhaps some kind anecdote that will help with figure out what I want to do after my first degree. I know there are many guides for career paths but they all seem worryingly brief, dull and lack any great depth of knowledge.

I'm currently studying MA Philosophy at the U. of Aberdeen in small yet high achieving and high ranking philosophy department. I was granted second year entry on the 4 year MA and have taken up a few modules in English and Law alongside my Philosophy studies.

I have explored the Law route a lot over the past few years and maintained an active interest in the field throughout A level but I feel that I am skimming the surface of the job market. While I am interested in Law I want to explore other options that are available to someone in my position but feel quite uninspired.

My A levels were in English Lit, Philosophy and Economics so bare in mind I am very much an arts orientated mind. I am however currently attempting to teach myself A level maths.

Sorry if this appears too open a thread but I'd like to welcome a response from a variety of interests.

Thanks!
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Teaching perhaps?
mm I considered this quite frankly wanted to do something about more... out there in the big wide world... rather than being cooped up in a class room. I thought teaching might be a good idea later on in life.
Contemplate the question, are we really here? :holmes:

But as somebody has already said, teaching. I know you said it's not ideal but you could use it as a stepping stone.
Reply 4
Original post by tieyourmotherdown

But as somebody has already said, teaching. I know you said it's not ideal but you could use it as a stepping stone.

I'm sorry, but I don't think people should be encouraged to view teaching as a stepping stone, a second best option, or something to do whilst you figure it all out. Teaching is an incredibly hard job and I think it does students a disservice if their teachers are not fully committed to it.
Original post by tieyourmotherdown

Well I'm paying for a degree that spends most of its time asking questions such as these. If I don't know the answer by the end of it all I'm asking for a refund :tongue:
Reply 6
Philosopher? :dontknow:
Original post by riotgrrl
I'm sorry, but I don't think people should be encouraged to view teaching as a stepping stone, a second best option, or something to do whilst you figure it all out. Teaching is an incredibly hard job and I think it does students a disservice if their teachers are not fully committed to it.

I get what you're saying 100%, and I guess you're right. But you never know, he might find that he enjoys it and at the same time it would be a good thing to put on your CV. But no, I do understand what you're saying and you are right, there's no point going into it if you're not fully committed.

Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein
Well I'm paying for a degree that spends most of its time asking questions such as these. If I don't know the answer by the end of it all I'm asking for a refund :tongue:

haha fair enough :tongue:
Reply 8
Journalism, writer?
think deep thoughts about being unemployed
Reply 10
Management/Finance/PR/ Civil Service?
This seems like the classic Philosophy grad dilemma. Once you've started thinking there's no going back...why not write?
Reply 12
Original post by thisismycatch22
think deep thoughts about being unemployed

You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today! :lol:
Reply 13
A lot of social sciences students become business consultants. The problem is, why you chose Philosophy? If you did it because you like the subject then do you really want to work in a corporate environment that the only goal is money, money and more money.
Reply 14
Original post by riotgrrl

Well said! (and good choice of college by the way).

As for suggestions, maybe see what other people who've taken your course have done in the past as a sort of starting point?
Weren't you going to do linguistics as well?
Sit around smoking weed all day and think about how futile every attempt to change your life would be
Original post by 69Crazyfists
Weren't you going to do linguistics as well?

Yeah but they wanted me to do two years worth of modules in one or start in first year. I wasn't willing to give up my second year entry so I scrapped it and did Philosophy on it's own. My interests in linguistics were purely academic and had no potential use on the job market given that I am not really into science. It applied for it because I was interested in Philosophy of Language but I got to do that this year anyway as a module so meh.

I got to do some second year law modules like jurisprudence anyway so :s-smilie: no brainer.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys; some things to think about indeed.
If there are any Philosophy graduates or other philosophers out there that have an idea of what they would like to do then please share :smile:
Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein
Yeah but they wanted me to do two years worth of modules in one or start in first year. I wasn't willing to give up my second year entry so I scrapped it and did Philosophy on it's own. My interests in linguistics were purely academic and had no potential use on the job market given that I am not really into science. It applied for it because I was interested in Philosophy of Language but I got to do that this year anyway as a module so meh.

I got to do some second year law modules like jurisprudence anyway so :s-smilie: no brainer.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys; some things to think about indeed.
If there are any Philosophy graduates or other philosophers out there that have an idea of what they would like to do then please share :smile:

Ah I see, fair enough. I don't have a huge science interest if any at all. But that's mainly confined to phonetics and neurolinguistics. I could easily see myself going into translation or language teaching - but if that's not what you're good at then dw.
Reply 19
I don't think anyone here can really help you. Firstly, everyone will just suggest "typical" arts grads jobs like teaching, academia, advertising, which are fine but not all you are limited to. In the UK, with a degree you have a lot of options ahead of you and you needn't do something directly relevant to your degree subject. Secondly, no one can know what you'll be into.

This won't be what you want to hear but really, you need to do a LOT of research. Think about doing some unpaid work experience after uni if you can afford it, to scope out some areas you might be interested in.

I did an English Literature and an MA and I'm going to be an actuary. I spent ages applying to "arty" jobs because people seemed to think I should, and because people told me I'd really struggle to get an actuarial job after my arts degrees, but none of them really felt "right", and in the end I decided to focus on the career that appealed to me the most and I managed to get what looks to be a great job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending