The Student Room Group

Are there any truly 'bad' universities in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Worcester.
Reply 121
Original post by dnumberwang
Worcester.

:O and why do you say that??
Reply 122
Any university advertised in the top right hand corner of this page.
Oxford. Dunno why anyone would wanna go there.
Original post by SuperStarr1
Erm, maybe you should learn to understand what I was saying before you totally disregard it.

What is so hard to understand about a student who actually achieves that offer but decides they won't do any work and only aim for EE? (Yes it's highly unlikely but that does not make it impossible).

My argument to the original person was that EE or similar grades does not necessarily make you academically challenged.

If I'm the kind of person who wastes everyone else's time on TSR arguing.. Why was I asleep when you wrote this? And why the f**k are you quoting me back looking for a response? Idiot.

You're missing the point and I don't really understand why you're going on and on about it. Getting EE at A level does basically mean you are academically challenged - 80 points is the equivalent of CCUU at AS level, or just one C at A level on its own... i.e, not worth the paper its written on. The EE offer from Oxbridge is obviously irrelevant to this argument since it isn't designed for less able students in the same way as an EE offer from Southampton Solent would be - it is for extremely academic students and is basically never given out anyway. Don't be a complete tool and think that an EE offer from Oxbridge is given for the same reasons as an EE offer from another university.

Just because you aren't on here 24/7 and go to sleep sometimes, it doesn't mean you aren't one of those people who posts just to annoy others by arguing a completely stupid point that everyone else (yourself included) can tell is just for the sake of arguing. Why am I quoting you back looking for a response? I didn't ask you any questions, nor did I post anything provoking. However for the sake of yet another petty argument with you, I do not require a response from this post and hope you this time understand.
Original post by Tabers
:O and why do you say that??

Some people were talking about it on another forum
Reply 126
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
lol no

Fact your reply is so weak just proves it, im not talking about some poncey pat on the back for getting a 1st at a top 10 uni im talking doing something and earning what you want.

Mate of mine earns just under 50k a year straight out working on java games for portable devices after getting a 2;2 at Solent doing 'computer games studies' as he focused more on what he knew would sell than what he was told to learn, a guy i know has a 1st in psychology from Bath and has gone back to Morrisons and has been there for a year now, my mate who has a 2:1 in the same from Hull is training to be a hypnotherapist after spotting a gap and playing to his strengths.

Respect is earned a degree is learned. I dont care how much a bit of paper says you know, its your ability to use what you have and your drive that earns respect.
Lincoln. Was even mentioned by Mr Gilbert in the Inbetweeners as being ****, I quote: " Goodbye first-rate education, hello the University of Lincoln"

Nuff said
Reply 128
The American University in London.
Both my brothers went to Bradford Uni. Both say it was awful, bad services and terrible staff.
Reply 130
Original post by nerimon18
Lincoln. Was even mentioned by Mr Gilbert in the Inbetweeners as being ****, I quote: " Goodbye first-rate education, hello the University of Lincoln"

Nuff said

:awesome:
Original post by MJay91
The American University in London.

I've heard of the American School in London but the American University in London? Does it exist?:confused:
MMU. That's because it is so easy to get into + the entry requirements are low.
Reply 133
I've heard of the American School in London but the American University in London? Does it exist?:confused:

Yes, I googled it to make sure, but it really does. In fact, there are two of them. The American University in London and American University of London. :biggrin:
Reply 134
Bucks New University.

You can study for a BA in International Football Business Management.
Or BA Airline and Airport Management.
Or BA Sports Management and Golf Studies.

:confused:
Original post by EggmanD
lol, so many people have it wrong in this thread.

Its not bad universities its bad students.. its what you do with your degree not where you got it from. Unless you have good job prospects or met the right people at Uni your going to get in the dole queue, crawl back to Sainsburys or earn next to nothing in recruitment on a WONDERFUL GRAD SCHEME EARN LOADS COMMISSION M8

People grasping onto university ranks or labeling this one good and that one bad are just fools living in the past who cant come to terms with the fact that a degree doesn't mean what i used to and yes, a degree in comedy from a crap uni could earn you more money, success or respect if you have a plan than a history degree from Oxford if you dont.

One of the best replies on here and one I agree with. Everyone laughs at my brother for having a degree in media at Plymouth, yet he earned 35k in his first year after graduation and is now on something like 70k at 28, bought his first house at 24. Your prospects are created yourself, my mum owns a bloody restaurant and about 70 % of the people who ask her for a waitering job are from top unis like Bath, Manchester and Bristol and all can't find a job better than that because they never bothered with any sort of internships and experience at uni and believed that just 'cuz they got a degree from a good university, they're guaranteed at 30k + salary straight out. It's ridiculous, uni really doesn't get you everything, especially in the current situation.
Reply 136

Nuff said

For that reason im getting Lincoln of my list :P
Original post by MostCompetitive
MMU. That's because it is so easy to get into + the entry requirements are low.

Looool, I thought this so I applied as an ultimate back up insurance,turns out for them to even look at my application I have to write a 700 word essay and then another 300 on why I'd like to go to MMU, despite the fact that I really don't want to go there.
Original post by TheSownRose
Makes Anglia Ruskin perfectly fine - no metropolitan in sight, and there's no University of Anglia.

Just because Oxford has two Ruskins, Cambridge had to get one.

www.ruskin.ac.uk

www.ruskin-sch.ox.ac.uk

Pure jealousy!
Original post by Swimmer
For that reason im getting Lincoln of my list :P

I would take it over Northampton any day!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending