The Student Room Group

A level choices and things.......

Hey
I'm in year 11, so about to make a level choices.
I'm pretty set on Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography and from there I would like to go into a biological field of some sort.

My question is basically with the subjects biology, chemistry, geography and maths, and critical thinking/general studies (compulsory and school chooses which one you do), what is the workload roughly like?

For example, how many hours per night/per week do you spend in frees/outside school on work and how big of a step up is it from GCSE's (for a basis I'm doing 13 and aiming for high grades)?

Any input about the a levels themselves or workload or anything really is appreciated, thank you :smile:
Reply 1
It is normally 4 hours per subject per week at college, and they expect you to do an additional 4 hours per subject per week at home.

So basically if you were to take up your four AS subjects, that would be 16 hours timetabled lessons, plus Critical Thinking/General Studies added on to that, but I'm not sure how long this would take up as a friend of mine had to do it last year and only spent an hour a week in lessons for it.

Your workload would be manageable as long as you keep up with work set in class and do some revision notes as you go along so you aren't rushing them a week before your exams - you can get away with night-before revision at GCSE but you can't at A-level!

The step-up is manageable, providing you listen in lessons and put the work in :smile:
Reply 2
5 AS is OK. I didn't have any frees at school with 5 subjects. Tbh, I didn't actually think it was a lot of work, the real jump seemed to come from AS to A2 now. It actually seemed like less, because there were less subjects. I took Maths, bio, chem, English lit and physics.

From what I've seen, Geo seems to be very essay based which might add to the workload. If you're comfortable with the workload now, you should feel the same about AS. Does Critical thinking have a lot of homework?
Reply 3
Original post by NeonSkies
It is normally 4 hours per subject per week at college, and they expect you to do an additional 4 hours per subject per week at home.

So basically if you were to take up your four AS subjects, that would be 16 hours timetabled lessons, plus Critical Thinking/General Studies added on to that, but I'm not sure how long this would take up as a friend of mine had to do it last year and only spent an hour a week in lessons for it.

Your workload would be manageable as long as you keep up with work set in class and do some revision notes as you go along so you aren't rushing them a week before your exams - you can get away with night-before revision at GCSE but you can't at A-level!

The step-up is manageable, providing you listen in lessons and put the work in :smile:

Thankyou
Those hours seem manageable enough, although the real test will be when it happens, and I suppose i'll be doing subjects that I enjoy so will have more motivation to do the work (I hope), as right now I have zero energy to work on the subjects I dislike :P
With the general studies/critical thinking I don't think it's taken that seriously (as uni's don't generally look at it) so my guess that it would indeed be only one lesson a week.
Reply 4
Original post by Melanie-v
5 AS is OK. I didn't have any frees at school with 5 subjects. Tbh, I didn't actually think it was a lot of work, the real jump seemed to come from AS to A2 now. It actually seemed like less, because there were less subjects. I took Maths, bio, chem, English lit and physics.

From what I've seen, Geo seems to be very essay based which might add to the workload. If you're comfortable with the workload now, you should feel the same about AS. Does Critical thinking have a lot of homework?

I suppose because my 5th AS is only GS/CT, in my eyes i'm only taking 4 AS's I don't really care about GS/CT :P so hopefully I will have a few frees because GS/CT won't take up as many lessons as the other subjects per week.

I am ok with the workload now, the only problem is art really but then thats what you get when you take that...an endless amount of time consuming work to do.
Thanks for the reassurance as I've read lots about people struggling and what not between GCSE and AS (e.g. going from an A* to a E) (which is obviously not what I want to happen to me). I guess if I keep up with the workload then all should be ok...
And I don't think CT has much homework...and if it does...well I can't imagine I'll be spending too long on it :wink:

On a side note...how difficult is chemistry? Out of your 5 AS subjects which do you find the hardest/easiest or which has the most/least workload?

thankyou
Reply 5
Original post by Bonjourr
I suppose because my 5th AS is only GS/CT, in my eyes i'm only taking 4 AS's I don't really care about GS/CT :P so hopefully I will have a few frees because GS/CT won't take up as many lessons as the other subjects per week.

I am ok with the workload now, the only problem is art really but then thats what you get when you take that...an endless amount of time consuming work to do.
Thanks for the reassurance as I've read lots about people struggling and what not between GCSE and AS (e.g. going from an A* to a E) (which is obviously not what I want to happen to me). I guess if I keep up with the workload then all should be ok...
And I don't think CT has much homework...and if it does...well I can't imagine I'll be spending too long on it :wink:

On a side note...how difficult is chemistry? Out of your 5 AS subjects which do you find the hardest/easiest or which has the most/least workload?

thankyou

At AS, I thought Chemistry was pretty easy. At A2, now, I think it's the hardest. It all depends on opinions though - I intensely disliked mechanisms at AS, as you had to learn those by heart, but others liked them for some reason. :confused:
At AS I thought biology was harder, but not too bad.
Our English teacher was nice and didn't give us any homework, though coursework was a ****load of work. Geography will probably be similar from what I've heard - it depends on the teacher.

I hope you get to take everything you want :wink:
Reply 6
It all depends on how good you are at the subject. Apart from geography (which does require hard work), you seem to be going for ones in which some people have that natural ability to cruise through. If you have this then you will not need to put in that much work. There was one boy at my school who did all his homework in other lessons and so rarely did work at school or at home. If you are more like me, then i did at least a couple of hourse every night on school work. Often with coursework you here the stories of people not getting to bed til the early hours and their true. I always set a deadline of half 12 though.
Reply 7
Original post by Alian
It all depends on how good you are at the subject. Apart from geography (which does require hard work), you seem to be going for ones in which some people have that natural ability to cruise through. If you have this then you will not need to put in that much work. There was one boy at my school who did all his homework in other lessons and so rarely did work at school or at home. If you are more like me, then i did at least a couple of hourse every night on school work. Often with coursework you here the stories of people not getting to bed til the early hours and their true. I always set a deadline of half 12 though.

True
Fortunately I both enjoy and am good at the subjects I want to do(I know GCSE is way easier but so far I have full UMS in biology, physics, chemistry and geography modules and haven't taken maths yet) so hopefully i'll be all right.

Also, the courses I am doing do not involve any coursework (which fills me with a lot of joy :biggrin: ) I hate coursework..and 'controlled assessments' which I did for a few subjects.
Reply 8
At AS, I thought Chemistry was pretty easy. At A2, now, I think it's the hardest. It all depends on opinions though - I intensely disliked mechanisms at AS, as you had to learn those by heart, but others liked them for some reason. :confused:
At AS I thought biology was harder, but not too bad.
Our English teacher was nice and didn't give us any homework, though coursework was a ****load of work. Geography will probably be similar from what I've heard - it depends on the teacher.

I hope you get to take everything you want :wink:

Ahh ok I guess the hardness of each one is subjective.
Sorry for all these questions but are the ISA's particularly hard and do you know the percentage of the as level they are worth?
Thankyou :smile:

What are you going on to do after you complete your a levels?
i don't know you abilities..
but with experience form my friends even with 4 subjects of biology,chemistry maths psycology
or biology chemistry maths sociology or bio,chem maths media etc..
They're finding it VERY hard and a killer..
but users on TSR are generally quite clever and above average so they will say it's easy it to you.
i don't know who to believe either..
Ahh ok I guess the hardness of each one is subjective.
Sorry for all these questions but are the ISA's particularly hard and do you know the percentage of the as level they are worth?
Thankyou :smile:

What are you going on to do after you complete your a levels?

Natural Sciences (Physical). Applied at Durham, UCL, Cambridge, Bath, and Nottingham.

At the last university fair I was at they all said I could do pretty much whatever science/maths course I want (I'm self-studying FM though, you need it for the purer maths courses).

You should be able to do anthropology(physical and maybe the others) and the like because of your geography. Nothing too humanity based, but the science and the 'crossover' subjects. You can't really do anything with "engineering" in it without physics. FM ad physics are also good for any maths or compsci stuff.

For Edexcel each practical is 60 out of 600 marks, so 10% of total A-level. That's for biology , I'm pretty sure it's the same for the other sciences.

For AQA it's the same. (each practical/ISA is worth 10%, so 20% of the whole A-Level for both together)

EDIT: just PM or whatever if you have more questions. I need help procrastinating :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
They're manageable, I've known people do fine in combinations close to that. Biology and chemistry are a lot of work and take up a lot of time, so watch out for those.
Reply 12
Hey
I'm pretty set on Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography and from there I would like to go into a biological field of some sort.

My question is basically with the subjects biology, chemistry, geography and maths, and critical thinking/general studies (compulsory and school chooses which one you do), what is the workload roughly like?

For example, how many hours per night/per week do you spend in frees/outside school on work and how big of a step up is it from GCSE's (for a basis I'm doing 13 and aiming for high grades)?

Any input about the a levels themselves or workload or anything really is appreciated, thank you :smile:

I'm in Year 11 too, and i'm going to do all of the same subjects, except Physics instead of Chemistry :biggrin: I'm also quite curious about workload etc. Unfortunately the subjects don't come so naturally to me, but with some effort things will hopefully be okay! Good luck with all of your choices!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Natural Sciences (Physical). Applied at Durham, UCL, Cambridge, Bath, and Nottingham.

At the last university fair I was at they all said I could do pretty much whatever science/maths course I want (I'm self-studying FM though, you need it for the purer maths courses).

You should be able to do anthropology(physical and maybe the others) and the like because of your geography. Nothing too humanity based, but the science and the 'crossover' subjects. You can't really do anything with "engineering" in it without physics. FM ad physics are also good for any maths or compsci stuff.

For Edexcel each practical is 60 out of 600 marks, so 10% of total A-level. That's for biology , I'm pretty sure it's the same for the other sciences.

For AQA it's the same. (each practical/ISA is worth 10%, so 20% of the whole A-Level for both together)

EDIT: just PM or whatever if you have more questions. I need help procrastinating :tongue:

Sounds good! I am interested in Natural sciences, but biological instead of physical :tongue: It's just the lack of places that do it that concerned me..as I will not be able to afford living in london (esp. with rising fees :frown: ) and I think Durham's too far away and I live in Birmingham but want to move away etc etc you get the idea :P
Have you got any offers? (aside from cambridge which you won't know yet?) Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by 08batee
I'm in Year 11 too, and i'm going to do all of the same subjects, except Physics instead of Chemistry :biggrin: I'm also quite curious about workload etc. Unfortunately the subjects don't come so naturally to me, but with some effort things will hopefully be okay! Good luck with all of your choices!

Cool...apart from the fact I don't particularly like physics haha :wink:

How are your GCSE's going? and do you know what you want to do after A levels yet?

:smile:
:smile: i do 5 and i still have 18 frees every two weeks (although psychology is 2 or 3 lessons afterschool or at lunch every week)
i wouldn't say it's at all hard to manage the workload once you get used to it, it's just a bit of a shock to the system when at GCSE you just drift through with-out doing any homework or paying attention, whereas at a-level you've got to at least put some substantial effort in :tongue:
Reply 16
Cool...apart from the fact I don't particularly like physics haha :wink:

How are your GCSE's going? and do you know what you want to do after A levels yet?

:smile:

Haha fair enough! I've only started to like it in the last couple of years actually :smile: Hmmm not too bad, although not great. Working for all Bs and above, but i've been slacking off a bit recently :tongue: And i'm hoping to get get good As/A*s in Maths, Physics Biology and Geography. After A levels, I'm aiming to do a degree in Marine Operations/Marine Studies at Uni, and hope to join the Merchant Navy as a deck officer! How about you?:redface:
(edited 13 years ago)
Sounds good! I am interested in Natural sciences, but biological instead of physical :tongue: It's just the lack of places that do it that concerned me..as I will not be able to afford living in london (esp. with rising fees :frown: ) and I think Durham's too far away and I live in Birmingham but want to move away etc etc you get the idea :P
Have you got any offers? (aside from cambridge which you won't know yet?) Good luck!

Nottingham said they would like to male me an offer, but I need a legal guardian over 18 in the UK for them to make me one... that was a month or more ago. I need to find one I hope they're keeping my offer. :colondollar:

Bath sent me that letter in the mail saying congratulations, we're recommending you for an offer, but I'm waiting for it to come through on Track. :angry:

On the plus side, no rejections yet either.

Ooh, a biologist. :cool: There's a Natsci course in Birmingham :wink: imagine, you'd have to live at home.
http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/QRbFrojUmG_Cx2q3utDzAZChCuef3-UU_O/HAHTpage/search.HsKeywordSuggestion.whereNext?query=1181&word=NATURAL+SCIENCE&single=N
Check that out, it lists the unis.
Did you have a good christmas?
Thanks for the good luck. :h:
Reply 18
Hey

Well i only do maths and chemistry out of those subjects, along with two essay subjects, so i'm not sure how much help i'll be. I've found that (so far at least, i'm only at AS) maths and chemistry are harder than my essay subjects in the sense of trying to grasp the concept and the general content, however they are much less effort and i barely ever get homework and if i do its just like a summary sheet or something rather than an 4 page essay or something (much more preferable). At the beginning of the year i was told that we were supposed to be doing something stupid like 5 hours per subject outside of school but that is not at all true. With maths i usually get a few excercises from the textbook (takes max an hour and a half/ two hours for all the homework i get per week) and chemistry i get even less homework (maybe an hour a week). So basically that 5 hours thing is complete rubbish. Maybe if you were very keen you could do more, but i've not been doing and i'm still getting A's on my past papers i've been doing. Admittedly i do a bit more work for my essay subjects, but still nothing like 5 hours (unless i have 2 essays at the same time, which rarely happens). I expect biology would have a little more workload than chemistry because its more wordy, but not too much. I did geography at gcse and i don't know many who do the a level, but from what i've seen it's mainly just those longer 'essay' questions from the exam papers, which are only like 8 marks or something. Man did i hate geography though.

People doing critical thinking (my school doesn't do general studies) do like an hour a week of lessons.

Chemistry isn't really too hard. At first it's a bit like gahhhhhhhhh :confused: but then it starts to make sense and i don't get to much more freaked than i did at gcse. Same for Maths. Sorry for rambling on so much, hope there's something of value in there, pm me if you have any other questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest