The Student Room Group

Ocr f215: 27/1/11

Hi,
For those who are sitting F215 this winter ,have you started your revision yet? I ended up with a yekky C in this module while a's in rest. My weak point being genetics and having read more from the book ,less practice.
Anyhow I have gone through much of the theory bit on meiosis for now...
Post your notes on this particular module or ask a question =]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What am I the only one? ??? :redface: :frown: ?
Reply 2
I am doing f214 in january why are you doing f215 is it because your college does that or you wanted to do it.
Reply 3
Is this your second year in a-levels?
Reply 4
Original post by duibb
Is this your second year in a-levels?

Nope but a gap year.I scored A in f214 (last june).So I expect all posters to be "resitters".
Reply 5
All questions based upon genetics done.Few were tricky. It feels strange now that I have grasped genetics,how easy it's to deal with. IDK wth went wrong to my brain last june grrr... So am I the only one sitting this? :frown: ( hopefully not)
Ask me anything on genetics(freshly done),maybe bits on biotechnology or genetic therapy.
ibsaiyan

Thanks for the epistasis ibsaiyan, I remember you from the original thread, and yep im retaking this thing again as well, I ended up with a D and As in the rest as well,

still on epistasis, what book are you using, if your using the Heinamann one, I have no idea what they're on about, I think id be able to spot the ratios but the spec requires us to be able to desribe interacctions between loci i.e. epistasis as well as be able to identify typical phenotypic ratios
it also says epistasis cannot be inherited :confused: and that it reduces phenotypic variation
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by clad in armour
Thanks for the epistasis ibsaiyan, I remember you from the original thread, and yep im retaking this thing again as well, I ended up with a D and As in the rest as well,

still on epistasis, what book are you using, if your using the Heinamann one, I have no idea what they're on about, I think id be able to spot the ratios but the spec requires us to be able to desribe interacctions between loci i.e. epistasis as well as be able to identify typical phenotypic ratios
it also says epistasis cannot be inherited :confused: and that it reduces phenotypic variation

Hello
I gave a detail answer on epistasis to your thread on the biology subform.Check it out.My book is by Mary jones.
As far as the ratios goes.I think we need to remember the dominant and recessive ones.A question might arise asking what sort of interaction is going on "after we have found out the ratios".I don't quite get what you mean by epistasis not being inherited.It probably doesn't if the loci of both genes happen to be close(physically).The further they are the more chance of recombination.You see it's quite confusing and my book doesn;t make it any better.
From what I know is that.Two genes are said to be inherited together (linked) if they are on the same chromosome and very close to each other.The further their loci ,greater a chance of recombination.
Another point which might bring about confusion:Book by mary jones says that genes which happen to be linked don't assort independently and are always inherited together BUT on the next page it says: Crossing over could take place.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ibysaiyan
Hello
I gave a detail answer on epistasis to your thread on the biology subform.Check it out.My book is by Mary jones.
As far as the ratios goes.I think we need to remember the dominant and recessive ones.A question might arise asking what sort of interaction is going on "after we have found out the ratios".I don't quite get what you mean by epistasis not being inherited.It probably doesn't if the loci of both genes happen to be close(physically).The further they are the more chance of recombination.

im also using the Mary Jones green book, the section on epistasis after autosomal linkage just seemed a bit too simple compared to what I remember being taught so im also using this

about the ratios, we are not expected to show epistasis in diagrams so if there is a question, im guessing theyll give the observed phenotypic ratios and we have to work out whether theyre, 9:3:4 indicating rec ep, 12:3;1/13:3 indicating dom ep or 9:7 indicating complimentary, I dont know any of this im simply quoting out of the book

what are you going on to study next, do you reckon theres still enough time to get everything else done?
Reply 9
im also using the Mary Jones green book, the section on epistasis after autosomal linkage just seemed a bit too simple compared to what I remember being taught so im also using this

about the ratios, we are not expected to show epistasis in diagrams so if there is a question, im guessing theyll give the observed phenotypic ratios and we have to work out whether theyre, 9:3:4 indicating rec ep, 12:3;1/13:3 indicating dom ep or 9:7 indicating complimentary, I dont know any of this im simply quoting out of the book

what are you going on to study next, do you reckon theres still enough time to get everything else done?

Tbh I found genetics hard last summer(hopefully not this time).Now that I think I have gone through it.I will jump onto variation . I am also sitting 5 other exams :s
Grrrr 10th,17th,19th,24th and f215 :/
What about you ?
Time-I will be squeezing it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Tbh I found genetics hard last summer(hopefully not this time).Now that I think I have gone through it.I will jump onto variation . I am also sitting 5 other exams :s
Grrrr 10th,17th,19th,24th and f215 :/
What about you ?
Time-I will be squeezing it.

I got ill last summer so there wasnt anything I understood enough for the exam, but we both need less than 10 marks for an A, you'll need a lot less because of the C, and yep, variation is in the same section, im worried about all that biotechnology stuff, its just so much stuff.

ive got 5 exams altogether, 10th, 19th, 24th, 27th and 31st

let me guess your doing some maths resits?
you doing any revision tonight?
Reply 11
I got ill last summer so there wasnt anything I understood enough for the exam, but we both need less than 10 marks for an A, you'll need a lot less because of the C, and yep, variation is in the same section, im worried about all that biotechnology stuff, its just so much stuff.

ive got 5 exams altogether, 10th, 19th, 24th, 27th and 31st

let me guess your doing some maths resits?
you doing any revision tonight?

Yep.One for physics,rest are for maths.
Yep I am doing maths right now.I slept 5 am last night (morning) been revising my ass off. I do maths with AQA,you ?
(edited 13 years ago)
Yep.One for physics,rest are for maths.

ive got 3 maths, c1,s1 and c3 and chem as well (same board), im also guessing youve got MEI?

are you doing any revision tonight or do you reckon its too late?
Reply 13
ive got 3 maths, c1,s1 and c3 and chem as well (same board), im also guessing youve got MEI?

are you doing any revision tonight or do you reckon its too late?

I will be revising for a couple of more hours.Maths (AQA),physics (WJEC).
I will be revising for a couple of more hours.Maths (AQA),physics (WJEC).

cool, so what happening with uni and stuff, you reapplying?
Reply 15
cool, so what happening with uni and stuff, you reapplying?

Yep.Going through a gap year is so awful. Esp. with the offers I had last year. Oh well... applied ucas :/ lancaster,york,durham,imperial and Bham.(Astrophysics) By the way:is it too late for Biology practicals ? Just that my practical marks have been junk. :
Yep.Going through a gap year is so awful. Esp. with the offers I had last year. Oh well... applied ucas :/ lancaster,york,durham,imperial and Bham.(Astrophysics) By the way:is it too late for Biology practicals ? Just that my practical marks have been junk. :

trust me, its one of the worst things you can do, its like being on a gap year but without the chilling out

have you heard anything yet? main thing is just to do well in these exams, this is the best time to do well and get marks in the bag

ive badgered my teacher to let me do them but he says you only get a certain amount of attempts (I think 2/3) and even if I had some attempts left which I do, the practicals this year are too similar and therefore Im not allowed to do them, but it definitely is not too late because those marks get aggregated in the summer, try and do them because you could get yourself on at least an A already
Reply 17
trust me, its one of the worst things you can do, its like being on a gap year but without the chilling out

have you heard anything yet? main thing is just to do well in these exams, this is the best time to do well and get marks in the bag

ive badgered my teacher to let me do them but he says you only get a certain amount of attempts (I think 2/3) and even if I had some attempts left which I do, the practicals this year are too similar and therefore Im not allowed to do them, but it definitely is not too late because those marks get aggregated in the summer, try and do them because you could get yourself on at least an A already

Now if only my teachers allows me to sit them.Speaking of which I didn't enrol myself to college this year... and so paying him a visit will be awkward but I have to. Stupid practicals.... I got an E last year.
Now if only my teachers allows me to sit them.Speaking of which I didn't enrol myself to college this year... and so paying him a visit will be awkward but I have to. Stupid practicals.... I got an E last year.

are you paying for you exams yourself then? im not sure how that will work then because you need a centre for practicals and college might have issues, do you not live in Saudi?
Honestly if you got a C in this exam and an A in all the rest, but an E in the pracs I dont think i would have even entered this exam season
Reply 19
are you paying for you exams yourself then? im not sure how that will work then because you need a centre for practicals and college might have issues, do you not live in Saudi?
Honestly if you got a C in this exam and an A in all the rest, but an E in the pracs I dont think i would have even entered this exam season

Nope been living here for almost 3 years now.On second thoughts I will just try to make max. out of this paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending