The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RechtsDerIsar
Well, you were invited for an interview, so you have a chance of being admitted. How did it go?
I've applied to Gonville and Caius to read medicine:smile:

Well I felt that both of my interviews went better then expected. It sounds strange, but I wish I could do the whole interview process again as I enjoyed being challenged (both of my interviews ran over by about 10-15 minutes) Had a great experience

Medicine at Caius :biggrin: That sounds really cool! How did your interviews go? Good luck!! :biggrin:
Reply 141
My letter from Jesus was a few pages, I think. I didn't find out by letter though - I was told that my track would be updated with the information, and sure enough at around midday, it updated! Seems anticlimactic but at least I knew what the letter said!
Original post by cpdavis
Well I felt that both of my interviews went better then expected. It sounds strange, but I wish I could do the whole interview process again as I enjoyed being challenged (both of my interviews ran over by about 10-15 minutes) Had a great experience

Medicine at Caius :biggrin: That sounds really cool! How did your interviews go? Good luck!! :biggrin:

It's good to hear that your interviews went well, given the very highest expectations Cambridge applicants have of themselves.:biggrin:

I had 3 interviews in total, all academic. Trying to stay objective, I'd say they weren't bad, although I did mention some very stupid things.:angry:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 143
Track does always seem to be rather late though...
Offer letter from Cambridge - very thin - 2 pages folded in three. I remember commenting on it as I heard it fall through the letter box.

Don't buy into the 'thin thing'.
Reply 145
What kind of forms do you have to fill out?
Original post by RechtsDerIsar
It's good to hear that your interviews went well, given the very highest expectations Cambridge applicants have of themselves.:biggrin:

I had 3 interviews in total, all academic. Trying to stay objective, I'd say they weren't bad, although I did mention some very stupid things.:angry:

Thats good to her that your interviews were alright, don't worry about the stupid things though because they know the pressure we are under and should be able to understand that we say things that we weren't actually thinking :yep:
Original post by Whiteo
What kind of forms do you have to fill out?

You have to give written consent not to visit Oxford whilst you are a student.
Reply 148
I had a dream the other day where instead of sending offer letters, everyone had to go back to Cambridge where they engraved pieces of metal with names of those who were given an offer then hung it from the ceiling. If your name was on one of them then you had to take the tag down and speak to the admissions person about the details of the offer, if you weren't there you could assume you had no offer. My name wasn't there and I ended up frantically dashing about trying to find someone who could confirm I'd been rejected :frown:

On another note, what size are the interview letters? I take it they're no bigger than A4? Because out post comes in the early afternoon and it is likely no one will be in then and I don't want to have to collect it from the post office the day after!
Reply 149
Original post by davidmarsh01
I had a dream the other day where instead of sending offer letters, everyone had to go back to Cambridge where they engraved pieces of metal with names of those who were given an offer then hung it from the ceiling. If your name was on one of them then you had to take the tag down and speak to the admissions person about the details of the offer, if you weren't there you could assume you had no offer. My name wasn't there and I ended up frantically dashing about trying to find someone who could confirm I'd been rejected :frown:

On another note, what size are the interview letters? I take it they're no bigger than A4? Because out post comes in the early afternoon and it is likely no one will be in then and I don't want to have to collect it from the post office the day after!

Hah the dreaded letter dreams. Bane of my nights. And I'm sure all the letters will fit through letterboxes!
Original post by kpatb
Luckily for me, UCAS is quicker to change the status of track than the postal system where I live, so I generally get notified on UCAS :smile:
I may have to email them, or decide to wait for 6 weeks before I get a letter :P\

I applied for Chemical Engineering via Physical Natural Sciences!
I'm so nervous!
I don't know how long it takes track to change for cambridge offers.. hmm :/

Good luck! I'm sure you will be fineee! What course did you apply for?

well, that's good :smile: haha definitely email them! i am not waiting for the letter. and oh, most people seem to say that track takes quite a while to update - so, definitely not worth waiting for track to update.

i applied for PPS (politics, psychology and sociology). ahh, all this waiting is killing me! i just want to know already. :redface: best of luck!
the tension is killing me :s-smilie:
Original post by masterswapy
the tension is killing me :s-smilie:

Not as much as its killin me
Reply 153
Anyone heard from St John's yet?
Reply 154
i've had two cambridge dreams now since the interview (not counting the ones before it)

in the first, we took a class trip up to cambridge (just the applicants) and there were lists on this dorm door of who got in and who didnt
i go rejected :frown:

then i had one where i got the letter like at the crack of dawn and i'd got in , woohoo
in the same dream, i got into bristol and durhum (which i'm not even applying to?!) as well as all my other choices

this was inspired by the person above posting their letter dream
anyone else got any :biggrin:?
Original post by theths
i've had two cambridge dreams now since the interview (not counting the ones before it)

this was inspired by the person above posting their letter dream
anyone else got any :biggrin:?

I dreamt that all the other applicants for my course were highly trained spies who wore suits, sunglasses :cool: and a secret badge, and I got rejected because I hadn't completed spy school, which gave them the edge. So I was moping at home when some Oxford Admissions tutors knocked on my door the next day, saying they hated spies and asked why I had applied to Cambridge in the first place "Surely you knew Cambridge only accepts spies with the 21832dhao00 qualification?!" and calling me a silly girl and stuff. And I was thinking "Wow, they've come to offer me a place!", but then they said they had to return to the war on spies and I looked up and the world was at war against spies (which i didn't know about until then), so I had to try and hide... and after that it ceased to be Oxbridge related...

I'm sure there was more substance to that dream, but I can't remember :biggrin:
Original post by redbeanmochi
I dreamt that all the other applicants for my course were highly trained spies who wore suits, sunglasses :cool: and a secret badge, and I got rejected because I hadn't completed spy school, which gave them the edge. So I was moping at home when some Oxford Admissions tutors knocked on my door the next day, saying they hated spies and asked why I had applied to Cambridge in the first place "Surely you knew Cambridge only accepts spies with the 21832dhao00 qualification?!" and calling me a silly girl and stuff. And I was thinking "Wow, they've come to offer me a place!", but then they said they had to return to the war on spies and I looked up and the world was at war against spies (which i didn't know about until then), so I had to try and hide... and after that it ceased to be Oxbridge related...

I'm sure there was more substance to that dream, but I can't remember :biggrin:

I think its best for all of us, if Jan 6th comes quickly. So we can all get decent nights sleep.

I had a dream too concerning some admission tutors dressed as congestion charge wardans...
Reply 157
Original post by ohcupid
Anyone heard from St John's yet?

From here: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section2/2_2.html

the agreed posting date for decision letters to applicants is the 5th of January. Why would St John's be different from all the other colleges?
The wait is driving me crazy! I've sunk to an new low... procrastination via Mad Libs. http://www.wordlibs.com/

My mindset is like... productive things can wait until after L-day. :bl:
I would just like to wish anybody who is waiting for an offer the very best of luck. Waiting for the letter certainly isn't the most relaxing of times, but it doesn't take a lot of searching from my perspective to see how much effort a lot of you have put into your applications - and this is merely an internet forum! Try not to worry, and I hope the result is a nice surprise. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending