The Student Room Group

Do people consider film/tv production as a 'Mickey Mouse' degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I haven't done a degree, so I can't really judge but i think if you enjoy the subject and are determined to do well and know what career it will help you with then go for it!:biggrin: :wink:
Reply 21
Only if you make Disney movies.
Reply 22
If you fancy ending up working for Disney doing film/tv, then what's wrong with it being a Mickey Mouse Degree? :smile: I see no problem with it, every tv & film set needs crew as well as cast :smile: (I'm hoping to go into Production/Event Lighting so I'm on your side on this one!) :smile:
Original post by bramz19
Wow, sounds like a pretty good plan! And yep, firming LSE and making UCL my insurance, I'm all sorted. Good luck, hope everything works out dandy :smile:

If by some miracle I get an offer, I might see you at LSE next year :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by insertnamehere
Oooh, set design! It's fascinating. As a producer, I look forward to working with set/production designers and casting agents the most! :smile:
Hey, at Warwick, do people give you a hard time about your degree? Or is this just a TSR thing?

Ah, but do the designers like working with you? It's your job to tell us we can't afford all the pretty chandeliers we want! :biggrin:

A lot of people will cast aspersions on your choice of degree in an attempt to validate their own. Granted, a lot of people do media degrees because they like films/tv and can't think of anything better to do. But then a lot of people do things like history (sorry if anyone reading this does history, just an example) for pretty similar reasons.

If you're good at it, doing it for the right reasons and it ultimately leads to a career/lifestyle you want, then you can chalk attacks like this up to their insecurities and not yours.

That being said, I generally receive a lot of positive comments from people around Warwick now I'm in third year. In first year it was a bit different, but now almost everyone knows a film person and we actually work really hard (and are obviously the most fun too) I mean, I actually do more work than most people doing 'proper' degrees, covering a surprisingly broad range of topics.
(edited 13 years ago)
Does it matter?
Original post by ctarling
Ah, but do the designers like working with you? It's your job to tell us we can't afford all the pretty chandeliers we want! :biggrin:

Haha! If it was up to me, I'd let the set designer (a good one, obviously) run free. Unfortunately, the suits have no sense of style :frown:
Reply 27
I feel that people have to right to study what they want, for example I want to study Travel and Tourism and have been slated for my choice and told I could do much better, but I want to do what makes me happy! The same applies for Film/TV production, if that's what you want to study - go for it!!
i have applied for the same thing. i think its up to you what you want to do because at the end of the day working towards a degree is better than the people that just dont bother.:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Original post by charmaine2010
i have applied for the same thing. i think its up to you what you want to do because at the end of the day working towards a degree is better than the people that just dont bother.:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Where have you applied?
Where have you applied?

erm ive applied at 2 courses at kingston university
greenwich university
university of the arts
and university of westminister

im not sure weather these are good universities for this type of thing but there courses sounded like they would be suited to me and wht i was looking for thats why i chose them.:smile::smile:

where have you applied and what course are you planning on taking.

do you have any offers yet
(edited 13 years ago)
greenwich university
university of the arts

im not sure weather these are good universities for this type of thing but there courses sounded like they would be suited to me and wht i was looking for thats why i chose them.:smile::smile:

Yup, I've applied to Bournemouth, Birmingham and Royal Holloway...others too, but these are my top 3.. Got into Bournemouth. I'm applying for Postgraduate tho..
I've applied for Film and TV Production, and a lot of threads here seem to go on and on about what a worthless degree Media Studies is. I personally don't think they have a right to decide what anyone should study, but just as a question - is production also considered a soft subject? :s-smilie:

Anything to do with film/tv is. Mostly because degrees in media, film, tv and the like have absolutely no academic prestige. They're seen as very easy degrees.
Yes. :facepalm:
Yup, I've applied to Bournemouth, Birmingham and Royal Holloway...others too, but these are my top 3.. Got into Bournemouth. I'm applying for Postgraduate tho..

oh okay congratz im still waiting to hear back fingers crossed.
Reply 35
greenwich university
university of the arts

I've applied to Greenwich as well! Have you had an offer yet?
Original post by HaileyD
I've applied to Greenwich as well! Have you had an offer yet?

nah i havnt heard back have you??.
they havnt even notified me to say they have my application yet so im not sure what happened there.

what others have you applied for.:smile::smile::smile:
Reply 37
I've applied for Film and TV Production, and a lot of threads here seem to go on and on about what a worthless degree Media Studies is. I personally don't think they have a right to decide what anyone should study, but just as a question - is production also considered a soft subject? :s-smilie:

Well of course they don't have a right to decide what anyone should study. Although since we live in a society of free speech they do have a right to pass judgement on it.

Saying that, I don't think studying a degree of Film or TV production is Mickey Mouse- if that's the kind of career you want then it sounds like a good degree to do.

Production is probably considered "soft" in that it's not very academic- but if you want to go into TV/Film production it's almost certainly considered very useful.
People only really say it's a Mickey Mouse degree if they have no interest in it, which is a shame really. Just because society's said that studying to be a doctor or a lawyer is automatically harder, they believe that the more artistic subjects are just useless in comparison- not true.
Reply 39
University degree is what you make of it. Of course, courses like engineering and medicine are more challenging in terms of obtainable knowledge and information. But not all of us wants to become an engineer and etc. If you think that film production degree will bring you to the industry - you are wrong. It even won't open any doors. That's in case you will do only your coursework and nothing else, thinking that that's enough. This course and lecturers will only guide you to the right directions. Everything else - is in your hands. If you think that learning is 2-3 days of uni - you're wrong. You have to learn all the time. For your own sake. You need to do your own projects, to make your own films. Perfect yourself through constant practice. These courses provide you what you need the most - equipment and people who have similar interests with you to work with. THIS will lead you to festivals, to contacts through contacts, not your diploma.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending