The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Chance of getting into St Andrews?

Currently, I'm in 5th year, and wanting to go to St Andrews after finishing 6th year. I'm worried though, whether I'll even be considered: my Standard Grade results were iffy to say the least!

English 1, History 1, Mod Studies 1, French 2, (Int 2) Spanish B, Physics 3 and Maths 3.

This year I'm doing my five Highers: English, French, Spanish, History and Human Biology.

So I'm wondering if I can get 4 As and a B, will I even be considered for St Andrews to possibly do an MA in Economics or English Lit.

Also, I'm considering doing Advanced Higher English and History, and Intermediate 2 Maths next year.

I'm really concerned as I've read people saying how competitive the university is to get in, and how people with As all round are getting rejected.

Do I have any hope, or is it all misplaced?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you apply for economics, your chances are quite slim. Economics is quite competitive and they like you to have a good grade in maths. You would have more chance of getting in with English Lit. yes, many people get rejected with straight As, but if you have a good personal statement and reference from school there is always a chance.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
I've not heard of anyone from Scotland being rejected with straight As at higher...
I agree with katbro though, you're more likely to get in for English than Economics given your grades in maths. But I reckon if you got 5 As or 4 As and a B in higher you'd have a pretty decent chance of getting in.
Reply 3
The Economics page on the St Andrews website specifically says you don't need Maths in order to study Economics. You do need to meet the faculty requirements though (Arts = 2+ in English and 3+ in Maths).
Reply 4
If you get AAAAB then you have a good chance, but you've got to have a good personal statement as already mentioned. Although maths isn't a requirement, you would have a slightly better chance of being accepted if you have better maths qual (nothing much though). Economics is also very competitive at the uni (well all the courses are) but economics more so, therefore applying for english lit could be a better idea. This all depends whether you actually achieve good grades in the May exams though. Good luck :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Quick-use
English 1, History 1, Mod Studies 1, French 2, (Int 2) Spanish B, Physics 3, Maths 3, (Int 2) Administration F.

I got Maths 1, Physics 2, Music 2, Chemistry 2, Computing 2, Modern Studies 3, English 3 and French 4 and I'm in first year studying Maths and Computer Science right now.

Don't sweat about Standard Grades. Good Highers and a brilliant personal statement are more essential, especially the latter. And I don't know about English but with Maths I was told my A at AH Maths pretty much guaranteed me a place so a good AH grade is my advice.
Reply 6
Original post by CJ99
I got Maths 1, Physics 2, Music 2, Chemistry 2, Computing 2, Modern Studies 3, English 3 and French 4 and I'm in first year studying Maths and Computer Science right now.

Don't sweat about Standard Grades. Good Highers and a brilliant personal statement are more essential, especially the latter. And I don't know about English but with Maths I was told my A at AH Maths pretty much guaranteed me a place so a good AH grade is my advice.

That's given me plenty of hope, really. I believe that in order to increase my chances, I should quite possibly take the risk of crashing Advanced Higher Economics. Thus, they'll be certain to consider me (I hope). I'll make a call soon and see whether that would be wise, and whether Intermediate 2 Maths will suffice.

I suppose Highers come first though; so fingers crossed!
Original post by CJ99

Hi, you seemed quite friendlly from your profile :tongue: I was wondering if you could tell me whether you got a conditional or an unconditional, if so, what where the conditions for your offer? I'm applying for Mathematics(Arts) and my grades are quite similar to yours with more respect to the Arts :L (grades/current subjects are in my profile!) Could you also be kind enough to judge if you think I'll receive an offer based on yourself and other people being accepted to the Maths course when you got your offer ( providing that my PS was hopefully good of course :rolleyes:) Thank you very much kind sir, in advance! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by forgottensecret
Hi, you seemed quite friendlly from your profile :tongue: I was wondering if you could tell me whether you got a conditional or an unconditional, if so, what where the conditions for your offer? I'm applying for Mathematics(Arts) and my grades are quite similar to yours with more respect to the Arts :L (grades/current subjects are in my profile!) Could you also be kind enough to judge if you think I'll receive an offer based on yourself and other people being accepted to the Maths course when you got your offer ( providing that my PS was hopefully good of course :rolleyes:) Thank you very much kind sir, in advance! :biggrin:

I like your choice of subjects!
Original post by Ecosse_14
I like your choice of subjects!

I thought my choice of subjects were quite bad :tongue: We only run 2 AHs in our school, maths and music, so I was left to pick out the rubble :L Why do you like them ;L or can I just not interpret sarcasm hehe:colondollar:
I thought my choice of subjects were quite bad :tongue: We only run 2 AHs in our school, maths and music, so I was left to pick out the rubble :L Why do you like them ;L or can I just not interpret sarcasm hehe:colondollar:

I did higher accounts, english, maths, physics, admin and modern studies too.
And I also did AH maths :tongue:
I did higher accounts, english, maths, physics, admin and modern studies too.
And I also did AH maths :tongue:

You have great taste :biggrin: What were your grades? I'll attempt to live up to the target you've set :tongue:
You have great taste :biggrin: What were your grades? I'll attempt to live up to the target you've set :tongue:

You did better than me in 5th year :wink:
5th year I got AAABB with admin, accounts, music, maths and english (notice how I get the B's in the 2 most important ones :tongue:)
6th year I got AAB with modern studies, business management and physics and a C in AH maths :colondollar: It was self taught, that's my excuse :tongue:

Business management was also self taught cause I refused to do any other subjects the school offered :rolleyes:

So you've already exceeded the target for 5th year and I'm sure you will do the same for 6th year :tongue:
You did better than me in 5th year :wink:
5th year I got AAABB with admin, accounts, music, maths and english (notice how I get the B's in the 2 most important ones :tongue:)
6th year I got AAB with modern studies, business management and physics and a C in AH maths :colondollar: It was self taught, that's my excuse :tongue:

Business management was also self taught cause I refused to do any other subjects the school offered :rolleyes:

So you've already exceeded the target for 5th year and I'm sure you will do the same for 6th year :tongue:

This can totally not be an objective comparison considering the self-taught subjects :tongue: An A in a self-taught subject is pretty incomparable :L very well done :smile: not to mention the C in self-taught AH Math., I won't even go into how much I respect that considering the breadth of the course and it's complexity :redface: Did you get a conditional or an unconditional? I'm not sure of the offers St Andrews give because I chose it last minute as a wildcard, and noone in my school really applys there despite having the same namesake :tongue:
This can totally not be an objective comparison considering the self-taught subjects :tongue: An A in a self-taught subject is pretty incomparable :L very well done :smile: not to mention the C in self-taught AH Math., I won't even go into how much I respect that considering the breadth of the course and it's complexity :redface: Did you get a conditional or an unconditional? I'm not sure of the offers St Andrews give because I chose it last minute as a wildcard, and noone in my school really applys there despite having the same namesake :tongue:

Well business management is easy (for me anyway considering I am studying management and the fact I'd already done admin + a/c).
I got a conditional cause the silly people chucked their requirements from AABB upto AAAA when I was in the process of applying lol.
I know of quite a lot of people who got AAABB and got unconditionals for other subjects though, but a lot of it depends on your PS.
Where are you from? Some awful area of Scotland like me where everyone usually stays at home for uni/college? :tongue:
Well business management is easy (for me anyway considering I am studying management and the fact I'd already done admin + a/c).
I got a conditional cause the silly people chucked their requirements from AABB upto AAAA when I was in the process of applying lol.
I know of quite a lot of people who got AAABB and got unconditionals for other subjects though, but a lot of it depends on your PS.
Where are you from? Some awful area of Scotland like me where everyone usually stays at home for uni/college? :tongue:

Wait for it... DUNDUNDUN.. the "sickman of Europe", Glasgow! (bit of modies banter there :tongue:) I think I'm in the constituent of the worst death rate in the UK aswell or at least top 5 :biggrin: And yeah, I don't know anyone planning to go anywhere else if they get into Strathclyde or Glasgow, which I'm tempted towards also due to money issues, etc. What was your condition :smile:? Wbu, where are you from?
Wait for it... DUNDUNDUN.. the "sickman of Europe", Glasgow! (bit of modies banter there :tongue:) I think I'm in the constituent of the worst death rate in the UK aswell or at least top 5 :biggrin: And yeah, I don't know anyone planning to go anywhere else if they get into Strathclyde or Glasgow, which I'm tempted towards also due to money issues, etc. What was your condition :smile:? Wbu, where are you from?

I knew you'd be from the West of Scotland! I remember writing about the sick man of Europe in essays/DME's :tongue:
My condition was AB at higher and C in AH maths. Think they just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to slack off or something :redface:
I'm from literally just outside Glasgow! :biggrin:
Where else have you applied?

EDIT: Oh btw, I was sort of the sme with money issue things but I got a student loan and tried my best to get into one of the cheapest accomms (which I did) :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
I knew you'd be from the West of Scotland! I remember writing about the sick man of Europe in essays/DME's :tongue:
My condition was AB at higher and C in AH maths. Think they just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to slack off or something :redface:
I'm from literally just outside Glasgow! :biggrin:
Where else have you applied?

EDIT: Oh btw, I was sort of the sme with money issue things but I got a student loan and tried my best to get into one of the cheapest accomms (which I did) :smile:

Yeah, I think its weird that if youre from West of Scotland or more specifically around Glasgow you like being top 5, just means that if uni fails then you get a chance to try to cheat death- that will be my mark on the world, on Glasgow, a 1 person increase in the exceeding of the life expectancy rate :tongue: Seems like a pretty good condition :biggrin: Well I was like over the last 2 weeks, should I apply for Edinburgh or should I not, but I ended up losing track of when I could change my choices with christmas and stuff so I couldn't :L So I've got Maths at Glasgow and Strathclyde and Maths & Accounts & the same unis. Did your school encourage you to apply anywhere else :confused: I was never directed to do what a lot of people on TSR do- 5 different unis. That's completely non-existent in my school :L
Yeah, I think its weird that if youre from West of Scotland or more specifically around Glasgow you like being top 5, just means that if uni fails then you get a chance to try to cheat death- that will be my mark on the world, on Glasgow, a 1 person increase in the exceeding of the life expectancy rate :tongue: Seems like a pretty good condition :biggrin: Well I was like over the last 2 weeks, should I apply for Edinburgh or should I not, but I ended up losing track of when I could change my choices with christmas and stuff so I couldn't :L So I've got Maths at Glasgow and Strathclyde and Maths & Accounts & the same unis. Did your school encourage you to apply anywhere else :confused: I was never directed to do what a lot of people on TSR do- 5 different unis. That's completely non-existent in my school :L

Yeah I applied to 5 different unis although I wasn't encouraged to, I just never wanted to apply to the same uni more than once. I also applied to strathclyde for accounts (+ management) :smile:
Reply 19

I applied twice actually. First time for Maths and Philosophy (don't know what I was thinking) and got rejected with AAAC in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English. Second time I applied for straight Maths - I picked up Computer Science as a spare module and switched to joint honours - with AH AAC Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

I was basically told at the open day that with an A in AH Maths I was almost guaranteed a place. In my PS I also talked about doing lots in Scouts ( I went to the World Jamboree 2007) and a lot about theatre - I perform in lots of musicals. I also opened with the line 1 + 1 = 2 so I guess that either got them reading or put them to sleep.

St Andrews are pretty late in giving offers I think mine came in march and that was early based on the TSR forums so don't get worried about it taking a while.

Oh and I applied both times having done the exams and gotten my grades though in the first application I was predicted for AAA in my AH. But I was stupid enough to attempt to apply for Philosophy with a C in higher English.:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending