The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by simonc1993
Haha, ours was the other way round I got 90 in markets in action and 83 in National and International. Which was weird, because I found National and International easier, and thought there were some odd questions in the other one...
Are you doing the transport one next week then?

Indeed, it's so hard to revise for a topic as boring as Transport economics.
Not too worried about Economics, it Maths Im more concerned about should i get any sort of offer
Original post by therockandsock
Indeed, it's so hard to revise for a topic as boring as Transport economics.
Not too worried about Economics, it Maths Im more concerned about should i get any sort of offer

I know, I can't really find the enthusiasm for congestion charging and Road Pricing that a good economist should probably have.
I'd have been the same but Durham have asked me to get an A in economics and nothing specific for Maths, which I need an A* in if I get an offer from LSE or (probably) Bath. So I'm trying to balance everything with the C3 exam tomorrow as well...
Where have you applied to? :smile:
I know, I can't really find the enthusiasm for congestion charging and Road Pricing that a good economist should probably have.
I'd have been the same but Durham have asked me to get an A in economics and nothing specific for Maths, which I need an A* in if I get an offer from LSE or (probably) Bath. So I'm trying to balance everything with the C3 exam tomorrow as well...
Where have you applied to? :smile:

LSE(econ and Econ hist)
Warwick
Notts
Bristol
nothing from anyone

As you've put ur grades down and before you ask

GCSE: 8A* 4A 1B
AS: Econ(A) Chem(A) Hist(A) Math(B) GenStud (C) taking AS FM (predict b I think)
A2 Pred: Hist(A*) Econ(A) Chem (A) Math (A)

Ideally want LSE as its in London but with a B in Maths (flaming m1 brought me down) I wouldn't hold out so the others are fine
Do most schools sit anything in Jan in Y12 as people posting grades, is it their first sitting?
(edited 13 years ago)
LSE(econ and Econ hist)
Warwick
Notts
Bristol
nothing from anyone

AS: Econ(A) Chem(A) Hist(A) Math(B) GenStud (C) taking AS FM (predict b I think)

Ideally want LSE as its in London but with a B in Maths (flaming m1 brought me down) I wouldn't hold out so the others are fine
Do most schools sit anything in Jan in Y12 as people posting grades, is it their first sitting?

Don't start on M1, I scraped a C in that with 60 UMS last year, such a stupid decision to do that. Luckily my C1 and C2 brought it up to an A. I'd love LSE too but I only put it down as I had a spare option so decided to go for a long shot.
I didn't do any exams in Jan. Y12
How come you've only applied to 4?
LSE(econ and Econ hist)
Warwick
Notts
Bristol
nothing from anyone

Tell me about it! I enjoy core maths and stats is decent (although most are opposite to me) but Mechanics is just plain annoying. Shame my school insist on doing M1 first year and m2 for AS Further Maths students :frown:

Good luck with your application!
Don't start on M1, I scraped a C in that with 60 UMS last year, such a stupid decision to do that. Luckily my C1 and C2 brought it up to an A. I'd love LSE too but I only put it down as I had a spare option so decided to go for a long shot.
I didn't do any exams in Jan. Y12
How come you've only applied to 4?

Edexcel? M1 is not too bad i just had a horrible paper
I also applied to oxford E&M and did crap on the TSA then rejected

Dont say LSE is a long shot, coz ur grades are similar to mine. I flaming applied to do economic history and economics to maximize my chances. (Econ hist might be interesting? who knows). I wanted to apply UCL but all their courses for econ were A* in Maths
Well done on getting an A with that bad paper. I wonder what is more important, predictions or AS as im hoping they can look past my B! I even took AS FM and have Fp1 soon. They will screw me over if they include it in an offer as I know nothing
Original post by SuperKurd
Tell me about it! I enjoy core maths and stats is decent (although most are opposite to me) but Mechanics is just plain annoying. Shame my school insist on doing M1 first year and m2 for AS Further Maths students :frown:

Good luck with your application!

Could I ask what courses you are applying to as I am in the same position. Our school insists on M1 when other people do things like D1. Id much rather have done S1 and S2 for my A-Level
Economics :smile: I have a strange app, had bronchitis before my exams lasting nearly all the way through so ended with lower than expected grades, only attended one M2 lesson.

I ended with ACEU in AS Levels so I've applied to Brunel, Essex, Royal Holloway, Loughborough and Southampton with offers from RH, Essex and Brunel. In hindsight I shouldn't have applied to Brunel but I had no clue how the others would look at my mitigating circumstances. :frown: I reckon my personal statement was quite good and reference too.

Yep, I'd rather have done S1 and S2, find it way more interesting than Mechanics. A2 this year I'm doing S1 though so not too bad. D1 is enjoyable too.

Going Royal Holloway atm, if I get AAA I might re-apply next year if I don't get Southampton.
(edited 13 years ago)
Edexcel? M1 is not too bad i just had a horrible paper
I also applied to oxford E&M and did crap on the TSA then rejected

Dont say LSE is a long shot, coz ur grades are similar to mine. I flaming applied to do economic history and economics to maximize my chances. (Econ hist might be interesting? who knows). I wanted to apply UCL but all their courses for econ were A* in Maths
Well done on getting an A with that bad paper. I wonder what is more important, predictions or AS as im hoping they can look past my B! I even took AS FM and have Fp1 soon. They will screw me over if they include it in an offer as I know nothing

I'd say you stand a better chance than me as you've got better GCSEs, you're taking further maths and economics and economic history is slightly less competitive than straight economics (I probably should've applied for that too.)
And I'm doing OCR, I just couldn't do M1 to save my life, I have no idea why I chose it over D1...I'm doing S1 this year so it's all good.
Sorry, to hear about Oxford, the E&M course is their most competitive one I think?
I'd say you stand a better chance than me as you've got better GCSEs, you're taking further maths and economics and economic history is slightly less competitive than straight economics (I probably should've applied for that too.)
And I'm doing OCR, I just couldn't do M1 to save my life, I have no idea why I chose it over D1...I'm doing S1 this year so it's all good.
Sorry, to hear about Oxford, the E&M course is their most competitive one I think?

I think so yeah, they filter out people based on TSA so I did not even make the interview

Im sure you'll be fine with an A* prediction in Maths and Economics
I think so yeah, they filter out people based on TSA so I did not even make the interview

Im sure you'll be fine with an A* prediction in Maths and Economics

I had to beg my maths teacher on 3 seperate occasions to get that A* prediction, he didn't trust me because of my M1.
The thing is LSE sent this bitch of an email to all straight economics candidates asking for unit marks and stuff (I only got 60 UMS on M1) asking why I wasn't doing Further Maths, Extended Project and if I'd participated in any LSE activites (wich I haven't.)
I had to beg my maths teacher on 3 seperate occasions to get that A* prediction, he didn't trust me because of my M1.
The thing is LSE sent this bitch of an email to all straight economics candidates asking for unit marks and stuff (I only got 60 UMS on M1) asking why I wasn't doing Further Maths, Extended Project and if I'd participated in any LSE activites (wich I haven't.)

Wow, I was thinking of applying for the pure course before I got my B. Why do LSE do that when they have not specified on UCAS whether they want FM. You dont want to commit somthing like FM when your in Y11 making your decisions. Even extended projects?, and what LSE activities? Public Lectures in which case you could lie and say you've been to all of them. It's not like your being interviewed

Thank god i didnt apply for pure econ
Economics :smile: I have a strange app, had bronchitis before my exams lasting nearly all the way through so ended with lower than expected grades, only attended one M2 lesson.

I ended with ACEU in AS Levels so I've applied to Brunel, Essex, Royal Holloway, Loughborough and Southampton with offers from RH, Essex and Brunel. In hindsight I shouldn't have applied to Brunel but I had no clue how the others would look at my mitigating circumstances. :frown: I reckon my personal statement was quite good and reference too.

Yep, I'd rather have done S1 and S2, find it way more interesting than Mechanics. A2 this year I'm doing S1 though so not too bad. D1 is enjoyable too.

Going Royal Holloway atm, if I get AAA I might re-apply next year if I don't get Southampton.

Sorry to hear about that, seeing as you are going for some Russell Group's if you get a good 2.1 degree or even a first from it which you are more like to get anyway then you are sorted. You should have gotten L'boro which is pretty good and Its perhaps waiting for Southampton an extra year
Royal Holloway is good but the location is misleading, not even in Central London

With AAA its obviously better to go for a better Uni
Wow, I was thinking of applying for the pure course before I got my B. Why do LSE do that when they have not specified on UCAS whether they want FM. You dont want to commit somthing like FM when your in Y11 making your decisions. Even extended projects?, and what LSE activities? Public Lectures in which case you could lie and say you've been to all of them. It's not like your being interviewed

Thank god i didnt apply for pure econ

I know, it's annoying how they caught me after I'd applied, I probably wouldn't have done otherwise.
I think I could've done AS further maths and they'd have been happy. And I would've considered it if it wasn't for the fact I'd have had to do M2 and then probably retake M1 to up my chances. I hate Mechanics so much.
Sorry to hear about that, seeing as you are going for some Russell Group's if you get a good 2.1 degree or even a first from it which you are more like to get anyway then you are sorted. You should have gotten L'boro which is pretty good and Its perhaps waiting for Southampton an extra year
Royal Holloway is good but the location is misleading, not even in Central London

With AAA its obviously better to go for a better Uni

That's life I guess... :smile:

Yep I know where Royal Holloway is but the average salary their graduates get as well as the fact it's ABB means that if my re-takes don't go to plan ( I have alot to do) then the grades shouldn't be too hard to obtain.

@simon they may have asked if you did any LSE activities so they can get feedback from the people running it.
That's life I guess... :smile:

Yep I know where Royal Holloway is but the average salary their graduates get as well as the fact it's ABB means that if my re-takes don't go to plan ( I have alot to do) then the grades shouldn't be too hard to obtain.

@simon they may have asked if you did any LSE activities so they can get feedback from the people running it.

Maybe, but the fact it was with the pages asking why I didn't do further maths etc. and the email said the form is being handed out due to how competitive the course is made me think otherwise
Commerisarations but at least you made the Interview Stage
I got AAAB at AS in Econ Chem Hist and Maths
as well as 8A* and 4A's

I did not know how competitive this course was and guessed the last 10 Q's of the TSA, had no idea it was going to be that hard

What sort of things did you get asked at your interview and what Unis are you waiting on

The interview was really maths based for economics: differentiation and game theory. Then the management was discussing Google. I have offers from York and Birmingham, waiting on Warwick and Bristol. You?
A*AA from Exeter today - so much for the backup.:facepalm:
Original post by xhorseyhanx
The interview was really maths based for economics: differentiation and game theory. Then the management was discussing Google. I have offers from York and Birmingham, waiting on Warwick and Bristol. You?

Nothing from anyone, waiting on LSE Warwick Bristol and Notts
Original post by Psyched!!
A*AA from Exeter today - so much for the backup.:facepalm:

Annoying! =/ I swear they don't offer that for any other course?

Latest

Trending

Trending