The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
maybe a third of what you were paying for halls?
Original post by Tw1x

Thats fair enough. If your parents don't need your help, but say your parents did, would you not feel selfish knowing you have more disposable income than they do and you don't contribute anything?

I don't have a job, and thus have no disposable income. Also, I am in education (self-teaching but mehh). If my mum asked for help, I would help her.
I'm away at Uni and so parents don't expect me to pay them anything since I am not living at home or using any of their utilities/food etc. However they did say, that if I was in full-time work (and living at home obviously), they would let me live at home for a year without contributing, in order to enjoy myself a little, and also to begin to build up my own funds in order to move out, but that after that time they would expect some sort of money. I don't know how that situation would change based on if I had graduated rather than just getting a job straight from school, though.
Reply 123
What kind of parents charge their children rent?
Wow. My parents would never in a million years ask me to pay them a single penny in rent, they love me. I'm their child FFS, and they want me to live with them.

I feel really sorry for everyone whose parents take money off them! How sucky is that.

Oh, and no I'm not asian, and I don't know anybody whose parents charge them rent.
:lolwut: nothing.

What the hell kind of selfish bastard asks their own child to pay rent?

When they're old and infirm are they going to pay me to help them with their shopping?
Reply 125
Original post by Converse
I don't have a job, and thus have no disposable income. Also, I am in education (self-teaching but mehh). If my mum asked for help, I would help her.

Then I am not pissy at you. I'm angry at people who think its fair that they have a job (f/t, p/t, whatever) and can just live at home for sweet eff all if their parents are struggling.
Original post by Tw1x
Then I am not pissy at you. I'm angry at people who think its fair that they have a job (f/t, p/t, whatever) and can just live at home for sweet eff all if their parents are struggling.

Even if I did have a job, I would be reluctant to contribute anyway.
Although I do see your point.
Damn those pricks!
Been paying my mum rent since October '08! On and off though. I had a term time job (working in a college canteen) and when I wasn't working, I didn't have to pay rent. I haven't got a job now so no rent but it's about £100 a month!
I'd rather be in prison than live with my parents again. What's the attraction in having no independance and living under somebody elses rules???
I usually give my mum the money my dad pays me in maintenance, but if I lived at home she would get that anyway.

If you have a full time job, and choose to live at home then fair enough, but otherwise its a bit silly. You parent had you, they should expect to have to support you until you are in full time work at least.
I pay £25 a week during holidays. It's ridiculously cheap, considering it covers all my food and everything and it's just a token of the fact that I'm an adult, out of sixth form, I should be responsible for myself.
I love how when I was younger my Mum would say "Oh we will never charge you rent, I couldn't charge my daughter for living at home!", then as soon as I turn 18 and get on a gap year with no income, she charges me.
i feel sorry for you guys..the way parents ask money form you? that's just peak..
I lived at home in first year and probably will in fourth year, and I have never paid a penny.
Tbh my parents would rather just have me home.
Where my parents are from it's just kind of normal for their kids to live with them until they get married off, so they don't even think about charging rent.
Original post by Converse

That's the point..she shouldn't.
You having money to spare and wanting to willingly contribute is an entirely different situation to being forced to pay like some stranger.
Original post by Pinball_heart
I lived at home in first year and probably will in fourth year, and I have never paid a penny.
Tbh my parents would rather just have me home.
Where my parents are from it's just kind of normal for their kids to live with them until they get married off, so they don't even think about charging rent.

lol haha there's that side of the story too :biggrin: the parents who cant leave their kids so they treat them like royalty let alone as rent :tongue:

My parents will NEVER ask me rent,and infact pay for me as long as i want..even after uni.
despite this i will move out..because with my parents i might save money,but lose my freedom.
i dont pay rent at the moment as I dont have a job to supplement my income only relying on the SFE as I havent been able to get a job but my brother pays rent but its a small amount.

He doesnt do anything around the house and more often its me or my parents who are doing the house work and he expects my parents to ferry him around everywhere as well
Reply 137
I don't pay anything, but I'm one of the very lucky few and am still expected to get a job over the holidays and help out with chores.
One of my mates pays his mum £40 a week to cover food and bills, which I think is reasonable. Sadly, I guess it depends how well off your mum and dad are. If they're struggling a bit financially, then it seems only right to help contribute. I know it's perhaps not entirely fair.
I dont pay anything after dropping out and coming home, however i do still have to pay out 310 pound for my student house. So i dont really have much spare money by the time bus fare to get to work has cme out of it.
Reply 139
Pay rent? you white folks are funny
Why dont you just buy them presents with that money? LOL

Latest

Trending

Trending