The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Economics Unit F585 Feb 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kateibbo
The only thing I don't think I did properly in the last question was arguing my points because I focused on benefits like it said. Obviously I went and said HOWEVER blah blah bad blah blah. If only it had been the drawbacks, I would have aced that last question.

I think boundaries will be same as last year. Most of the people in my year loved the paper and there's over a hundred of us XD

Hope everyone did well. I'm personally only looking for a B in this paper.

Original post by helpnowplease
I doubt it, not many found it difficult in my school. :/

nutters. roll on march 10th. for the last question it was pretty much a case of thinking of nearly everything i could and throwing it in there. for the second comment on question what did you all put? i said some stuff about they'll have to raise interest rates to make investors buy the debt, and then if overseas investors buy it money is leaving the country.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by toofaforu
nutters. roll on march 10th. for the last question it was pretty much a case of thinking of nearly everything i could and throwing it in there. for the second comment on question what did you all put? i said some stuff about they'll have to raise interest rates to make investors buy the debt, and then if overseas investors buy it money is leaving the country.

1)opportunity cost of paying the interest on the debt = forgone development spending.

2) high debt = low confidence in the economy (think UK)

3) is the debt high because the government have been wasting the money or is it high because they have been borrowing for investment in education which is pro-developmental.
Original post by arvnozza
1)opportunity cost of paying the interest on the debt = forgone development spending.

2) high debt = low confidence in the economy (think UK)

3) is the debt high because the government have been wasting the money or is it high because they have been borrowing for investment in education which is pro-developmental.

Oh great, all your lots answers are different from mine. mine are just simple, stupid answers. :/ Ugh, resit. i'm looking for eco tuition, does anyone know nay?
Reply 23
Oh great, all your lots answers are different from mine. mine are just simple, stupid answers. :/ Ugh, resit. i'm looking for eco tuition, does anyone know nay?

what grade you aiming for? You can still get a fair share of the marks without going into the real detailed stuff.

what diagram did you/people put for the why are prices volatile question?
what grade you aiming for? You can still get a fair share of the marks without going into the real detailed stuff.

well, i need AAB for university. :frown:
I got a c IN economics last year. :frown:
Reply 25

I put a tariff diagram. Not the obvious choice probably but I explained it thoroughly. Saying how with countries integrating and the IMF promoting international trade, tariffs are being removed or put up etc. (obviously more detail)
Reply 26

i used supply and demand because in a free market price and quantity are both decided by these factors!
Reply 27
1c was certainly the hardest question in that paper relative to marks. I've no idea what to write for it, in comment questions I'm usually used to stating one fact, then countering that in the next section - I explained how the tariff diagram worked and gave good analysis on everything to do with it, but then I just looked at my paper and thought what now? What on earth was the counter-argument/next section of this question? Eventually I just talked about how EU consumers pay the higher price inevitably....

But should get 4/5 marks out of 10 at least for my analysis of the tariff diagram and impact it has on all concerned.

Also anyone who didn't thoroughly revise integration going into that exam was an idiot, it was a very likely 20 mark question due to the large range of discussion and stimulus material involved with it - I went in fully expecting it to come up...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
what did you put for the conclusion on the last question?
Reply 29
My teacher always says conclusion should be a strong 2 paragraphs, so if anything I just did a mini-summary of the whole essay. I concluded that it was beneficial for them, ran over the potential risks then talked about how the level of economic integration is suited for a small economy like St.Lucia.
Reply 30
I don't want to say it was easy, but it certainly could've been a lot harder. On the mock I did, I think a grade A was 40/60 and E was just 18/60....so if they're any similar then some good results should come through for people.
Reply 31
My teacher reckons an A would be something around 48, boundaries were low last year due to it being a new exam or something. If it is around 40 for an A though, I'd love that :wink:
My teacher reckons an A would be something around 48, boundaries were low last year due to it being a new exam or something. If it is around 40 for an A though, I'd love that :wink:

damn it. 30 marks is an E right?

they've been 40/60 for an A in both january 2010 and june 2010. seems unlikely they'll be going up 8 marks, but it's possible i guess.
Reply 34
damn it. 30 marks is an E right?

More likely to be around 24/60
Reply 35
Original post by TomGold
1c was certainly the hardest question in that paper relative to marks. I've no idea what to write for it, in comment questions I'm usually used to stating one fact, then countering that in the next section - I explained how the tariff diagram worked and gave good analysis on everything to do with it, but then I just looked at my paper and thought what now? What on earth was the counter-argument/next section of this question? Eventually I just talked about how EU consumers pay the higher price inevitably....

But should get 4/5 marks out of 10 at least for my analysis of the tariff diagram and impact it has on all concerned.

Also anyone who didn't thoroughly revise integration going into that exam was an idiot, it was a very likely 20 mark question due to the large range of discussion and stimulus material involved with it - I went in fully expecting it to come up...

When you say "I just looked at my paper and thought what now? What on earth was the counter-argument/next section of this question?" that is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Normally questions are "comment on the extent to which....." but for this I had no idea. I just said that it leads to trade deflection for any country joining the EU, encourages an inefficient use of resources and could lead to retaliation. On the plus side, the preferential treatment allows the Caribbean to increase its exports so it is not so reliant on foreign aid.
Reply 36

i did a supply demand diagram with supply vertical bcause in the sort term its elastic and demand steeply sloping. this leads to large swings in the price if supply shifts. #
i thought it was an alright paper, not the highest level of hard but not totally easy either. what did everyone put for 'analyse/comment on the case for the EU giving preferential access to ACP states' didnt really understand what they were asking to be honest :s-smilie:
Reply 37
Original post by Jkin
i did a supply demand diagram with supply vertical bcause in the sort term its elastic and demand steeply sloping. this leads to large swings in the price if supply shifts. #
i thought it was an alright paper, not the highest level of hard but not totally easy either. what did everyone put for 'analyse/comment on the case for the EU giving preferential access to ACP states' didnt really understand what they were asking to be honest :s-smilie:

I said that export is what ACP states depend on highly therefore this will imporve trade current account balance and that will lead to more confidence and others may invest i . e fdi
Reply 38
Original post by Miracl3

Original post by Miracl3
I said that export is what ACP states depend on highly therefore this will imporve trade current account balance and that will lead to more confidence and others may invest i . e fdi

yeah thats what i did.. except i also wrote about the implications on latin american producers and the consumers inside the EU.
i said that it will encourage their development, that the eu, UK specifically has colonial ties with them. but then i said they were paying hugely inflated prices for bananas, and my 'judgement' was that the case for it was actually not a very good one as it led to greater economic inefficiency. i said the caribean should focus on gaining a comparative advantage in something more suited to their country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending