The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by goldlock
All I can surmise is that maybe your lack of FM is what did you in, if not a below par PS? What else could it be? Not your predicteds. I'm predicted AAAA (damn school don't predict A*'s, which UCL really had a problem with!) I also heard Notts look for like 7 or 8 A*'s at GCSE but I think I've seen people with less than that offered on here!

The same as me! My predictions were A* A* A* A, yet they rejected me, along with another person who has predictions of AABB. Yet Durham have offered me a place?!
Original post by sharn0065
The same as me! My predictions were A* A* A* A, yet they rejected me, along with another person who has predictions of AABB. Yet Durham have offered me a place?!

I think Notts must not care at all about predicteds then! Letting me in with AAAA but not you would make no sense otherwise :s-smilie:
I think Notts must not care at all about predicteds then! Letting me in with AAAA but not you would make no sense otherwise :s-smilie:

I really can't understand what they base their admissions on then? A lot of it cannot be based on predictions with 4 A's predicted, which is not an easy thing to do! I'm guessing international students?
Infact, who DID get an offer from Nottingham?!
Infact, who DID get an offer from Nottingham?!

Me :smile: Well not for straight economics. But I actually wanted to do the course I chose rather than being one of the people who pick it because there are less applicants. Pretty sure it'll be my firm also so it won't be a wasted space.
Really don't understand how some of you didn't get in though! Once I looked on here after I applied I thought I stood no chance.
Original post by rachael92
Me :smile: Well not for straight economics. But I actually wanted to do the course I chose rather than being one of the people who pick it because there are less applicants. Pretty sure it'll be my firm also so it won't be a wasted space.
Really don't understand how some of you didn't get in though! Once I looked on here after I applied I thought I stood no chance.

Oh well done, what course is it?
Original post by mickeyb
What I hate about the process is it's so obscure ... there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how they pick people. I am going to e mail Birmingham to get feedback.
I am praying for Notts... only have Cardiff at the moment

I emailed Birmingham and their feedback was just useless to be honest. They didn't help me at all with why they rejected me =( I hope you get Notts! What offers have you gotten and where else have you applied?
(edited 13 years ago)
Oh well done, what course is it?

Economics with Econometrics. Slightly more maths based.
Original post by simonc1993
Join the club, Nottingham seemed to have become a little snobby this year in comparison to places like Durham (who I never thought I'd get an offer from)

I got rejected from Nottingham as well =( And now I wish I applied to Durham... sad times...
:frown:
I really can't understand what they base their admissions on then? A lot of it cannot be based on predictions with 4 A's predicted, which is not an easy thing to do! I'm guessing international students?

Nah it'll be PS, GCSEs and A level subjects I figure?
BATH offer A*AA
vs Durham? thoughts?

Well my subjects are Maths, Religious Studies, Government & Politics and Economics. I really don't know what else I could take, bar further maths, to make my subjects more relevant? To be honest, it wasn't my first choice, but that's not the point

I don't think so, as I've seen people with 3A*s getting offers and 8A*s being rejected. And I thought my range (and number) of A level subjects were quite good, with the exception of not having further maths, which other students have got offers without having this.
I guess personal statement could play a large role in it though. I talked about politics for a paragraph in mine (still relating it to economics) which may have been a mistake in hindsight.
Reply 1433
Original post by Whitworth92
BATH offer A*AA
vs Durham? thoughts?

oh cool what college for durham?
I've got these offers for straight economics:
Durham (Trevelyan College ) - AAA
York - AAB
Surrey - ABB

Still waiting for Bath and Warwick - but will probably firm Durham and have York as insurance.

UCAS:
GCSE: 6 A*s 5 As
A level: Economics, Maths, Further Maths & Philosophy
Predicted AAAA (A*s not predicted. Most likely getting A*AAB)

Anyone else going to Trevelyan on the open day in March? :smile:
Reply 1435
This seriously takes a piss, obviously nottingham don't look at other stuff other than predictions.

Atm i'm doing work experience in an investment bank, in 2 months time i will be going abroad for a charity event. I am also the captain of my local and sixth form cricket team. Also the part of the football team. I engage in many other activities. I am predicted AAA, i already have ABB.

wtf are they basing this on?

don't tell me they've increased the quota for international students!! :angry:
Reply 1436
Original post by Trece13

Original post by Trece13
This seriously takes a piss, obviously nottingham don't look at other stuff other than predictions.

Atm i'm doing work experience in an investment bank, in 2 months time i will be going abroad for a charity event. I am also the captain of my local and sixth form cricket team. Also the part of the football team. I engage in many other activities. I am predicted AAA, i already have ABB.

It will be because you got ABB in your AS results mate
Original post by mlsdbk
oh cool what college for durham?

collingwood, remmeber :wink:?
Reply 1438
Original post by Trece13

maybe you sounded that arrogant in your personal statement you don't "deserve" a place they can give them to anyone they choose for whatever reason they want and from what I've seen here I would of rejected you for your attitude
Reply 1439
Original post by Whitworth92
collingwood, remmeber :wink:?

haha yes :smile: lol i'm so bad with names i don't ever look haha.. go to Durham obvs :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending