The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2640
Original post by alr
Wow I applied to city all the same unis as you except Leeds. I got an offer from city and a rejection from KCL so far. If you dont mind me asking, when did you hear back from LSE and UCL?

Those are the same unis as me! City, Queen Mary, Kings, UCL, LSE !
Reply 2641
Original post by kylee
:smile:
So I saw it from your profile that you received warwick's offer too
Which uni are u going to firm?

Hey,
Umm, I don't know... Warwick or Notts maybe (depending what and if Notts offer me)... I know that Lancs are quite flexible with their firm offers on Results Day but I wonder if they would be on their insurance offers too...
Reply 2642
Haha really?
But you're lucky!
Im dying for an offer from LSE and you already have one!
I did really bad in my LNAT so I dont expect to get into UCL but Im really counting on LSE.
Where else do you have offers from?

Original post by sam_93
Those are the same unis as me! City, Queen Mary, Kings, UCL, LSE !
Original post by alr
Wow I applied to city all the same unis as you except Leeds. I got an offer from city and a rejection from KCL so far. If you dont mind me asking, when did you hear back from LSE and UCL?

heard back from LSE 2 weeks ago, and UCL today :smile:
Reply 2644
Original post by alr
Haha really?
But you're lucky!
Im dying for an offer from LSE and you already have one!
I did really bad in my LNAT so I dont expect to get into UCL but Im really counting on LSE.
Where else do you have offers from?

Fingers crossed for you and LSE :smile:! I have offers from city and qm, and a rejection from Kings lol. I haven't heard from UCL yet either! When did u apply?
Reply 2645
Wow! We are literally going through the same thing!
I applied on December 13th so its been quite a while.
Thanks, my fingers are crossed too :smile:

Original post by sam_93
Fingers crossed for you and LSE :smile:! I have offers from city and qm, and a rejection from Kings lol. I haven't heard from UCL yet either! When did u apply?
Original post by kennyparis
Errrrrrrr, yes it is... Have u checked the guardian lately?... or other league tables?... its the 3rd best in law in the guardian, better than Kings or LSE, but for others, its in the top 5. So please, do your research better okay.

Until you start spelling words and forming sentences correctly, I would not expect to be taken too seriously on this forum. It is bad enough that you blindly follow The Guardian's league table, let alone butcher the English language. I mean, Adam managed just fine, and he's an American :biggrin:.

But in all seriousness, you should probably do your research better. As a future law student, it would be a good idea to get into the habit of using multiple sources and analysing documents critically prior to studying.

Then you might just realise the depth of the mistake you are making in choosing QMUL over UCL (that is not saying that QMUL is bad in any way, just that UCL is better by a significant margin).
Original post by moonsailorkitten
hi!

basically i just received an offer from QMUL and have an offer from Leeds already .
I got rejected from all my other universities.

Which one should I choose ? Or alternatively should I take a gap year and reapply next year ??

Advice very much apprechiated !!:smile::smile:

xxx

btw: the unis I got rejected from were KCL, LSE and UCL :frown:

I would not bother reapplying. QMUL is fine, I also have heard that it is improving and it is in London anyway, which will be better for most foreigners like yourself.
Go for it and do not worry...
Original post by rockydog
I also got an invite before my offer, so i reckon that if they invite you it means your going to get an offer :biggrin:

Well that is quite exciting. What do you think of Cardiff and are you going to firm it?

And I just realised yesterday that I'm meant to be playing in a concert in Brighton the same evening I'll be coming back from Wales, it's going to be tight.
Original post by Cast.Iron
Just that UCL is better by a significant margin).

I just take issue with this comment. Can you offer me any reasons as to why you think this?

My property seminar leader actually teaches law at UCL, and he said there isn't much difference.
Reply 2650
I know people would say Birm is better than Sheff, but would Sheff hinder me when applying to VC's and TC's?
At least everyone on this thread is preparing to start their course in September. Mooting is a necessary skill...
Original post by Jakko247
I just take issue with this comment. Can you offer me any reasons as to why you think this?

My property seminar leader actually teaches law at UCL, and he said there isn't much difference.

The mere fact that everyone - including (and especially) employers - thinks UCL is better makes it so, even if the teaching is no different.
The result of the above is that UCL job prospects are better, and competition for a place is fiercer, so admission to the course comes with more prestige.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
The mere fact that everyone - including (and especially) employers - thinks UCL is better makes it so, even if the teaching is no different.
The result of the above is that UCL job prospects are better, and competition for a place is fiercer, so admission to the course comes with more prestige.

I recognise UCL is 'better', whatever that might translate to, but significantly so, I doubt.
Original post by Jakko247

On review, my choice of wording seems a little off. I maintain that UCL is better than QMUL, as do employers etc, but perhaps not by the 'significant margin' which I previously suggested.
Reply 2655
Original post by adam0311
Bro, look I'm not trying to debate this. But you shouldn't base an entire reputation off of the guardian. The guardian is there to sell newspapers and advertising space. When you read these things, you have to keep the publishers interests in mind. I think the guardian (compared to the times and complete university guide) has the most flawed method of ranking. For example, Robert Gordon is ranked number 17 and Durham is ranked number 22. I don't think anyone on TSR would argue Robert Gordon as the better uni. SOAS is ranked higher than Bristol? And Stirling is higher than Leicester? Sheffield is worse than Thames Valley?

Aside from understanding the publishers interest, you have to look at how the rankings are structured. You can pick any variable and make a uni rank well. Here's a quick example in a different context. A school called Thomas Cooley is arguably one of the worst law schools in the US. They publish their own rankings every year. They rank themselves number 2, only behind Harvard. They place themselves ahead of Yale, Columbia, Northwestern, etc. How do they justify it? They use the following variables--square footage of the library, enrollment size, library seating capacity, available computers, and number of librarians.

Newspaper rankings fluctuate every year. What I posted is probably the closest general reputation you're going to get. Do you really think hiring partners are going to the newsstand once a year, purchasing a copy of the Guardian and adjusting their hiring strategy based off of the fluctuations? No.

And I'd just like to reiterate my point. QMUL IS A GOOD UNI. I've defended QMUL countless times in other threads. But it isn't number 3. I don't even think Jakko would argue that.

I couldn't agree with you more.

'KennyParis' must be smoking crack if he/she thinks that Queen Mary's is 3rd in the country for Law, based merely on the fact that the 'Guardian says so.' The Complete University Guide 2011 ranks Queen Mary's in 7th place- what a scandal! Will you now accuse the latter source of lying?

'KennyParis' exacerbates his/her position by claiming that UCL is terrible because his/her 'brother said so.'
The perception of something is SUBJECTIVE: to go as far as to claim that UCL is a terrible university, based on the view of one person, is quite frankly a pathetic argument.

Btw 'Kenny Paris,' I'm not attempting to justify the high status of red brick unis based on their league table positions- it's the fact that they are 'traditional' universities; they've acquired such a prestigious reputation over a number of years. For all I care, Birmingham could be ranked 79th in the Guardian league table- it still doesn't detract from the fact that it is a very prestigious university due to its redbrick status.

P.S. 'Kenny Paris', you should ring your brother and tell him to alert the Magic Circle firms that they should sack the great number of their lawyers that went to UCL! Apparently it's a terrible institution!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2656
Original post by megan100
I got rejected, 20 on the LNAT,
7A*'s, 3 A's at GCSE, AAAAA at AS and predicted A*A*A*A.
reason was my LNAT score

Oh well sorry for your rejection. I am still waiting for UCL. My LNAT score is much worse than yours and I have been praying that my predictions and essay and ps and reference will save me. But it seems like my rejection is inevitable.
Your predictions are roughly the same to mine ( I got 4A*s) but you were rejected so I see no chance for myself :frown:
Original post by nameeti

Original post by nameeti
I couldn't agree with you more.

'KennyParis' must be smoking crack if he/she thinks that Queen Mary's is 3rd in the country for Law, based merely on the fact that the 'Guardian says so.' The Complete University Guide 2011 ranks Queen Mary's in 7th place- what a scandal! Will you now accuse the latter source of lying?

'KennyParis' exacerbates his/her position by claiming that UCL is terrible because his/her 'brother said so.'
The perception of something is SUBJECTIVE: to go as far as to claim that UCL is a terrible university, based on the view of one person, is quite frankly a pathetic argument.

Btw 'Kenny Paris,' I'm not attempting to justify the high status of red brick unis based on their league table positions- it's the fact that they are 'traditional' universities; they've acquired such a prestigious reputation over a number of years. For all I care, Birmingham could be ranked 79th in the Guardian league table- it still doesn't detract from the fact that it is a very prestigious university due to its redbrick status.

P.S. 'Kenny Paris', you should ring your brother and tell him to alert the Magic Circle firms that they should sack the great number of their lawyers that went to UCL! Apparently it's a terrible institution!

you sir are, for a lack of a better word, awesome.
Reply 2658
Is anyone still waiting on UCL?
I applied on the 12th October and I did rubbish in my LNAT 17/42!
Why is it taking them so long to send my rejection out?!
Reply 2659
Original post by teaandcoffee
I hope you hear from Bristol soon then :smile: But it would be great to know another person going to Reading as well :wink:

thanks :smile: im getting so impatient waiting! have u been to the law day yet cos i know there's a few? i'm going on the 4th march i think it is... i love it but not the 7hour journey there :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending