The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by linkdapink

Can anyone help me settle an argument with my boyfriend. He thinks that I'm over exaggerating on the amount of time a PGCE will take up (Maths in Septmeber), but I think it will take up all my spare time and all weekends. The arguement is over whether or not living together would be a good idea (I think it would because then we'll actually get to see each other).... What do you guys think? If I didn't live with him, I'd live an hour away... so it'd be a hectic PGCE year!

Yes, it will take up a lot of time. i'm living with my boyfriend, which is great, becuase I get a cuddle when I come in crying, and my tea made for me and so on... But conversely, it also means that it's harder to get my work done, because I have someone mooching round saying 'want a game?' or 'shall we go for a walk?'
Can anyone help me settle an argument with my boyfriend. He thinks that I'm over exaggerating on the amount of time a PGCE will take up (Maths in Septmeber), but I think it will take up all my spare time and all weekends. The arguement is over whether or not living together would be a good idea (I think it would because then we'll actually get to see each other).... What do you guys think? If I didn't live with him, I'd live an hour away... so it'd be a hectic PGCE year!

My situation is similar to Becca's... I'm in a long distance relationship and my boyfriend is 600 miles away at the other end of the country.
I think its better that we're not together as it means I'm more productive at home as I HAVE to get things done in order to have time to see him. If he is coming for the weekend, he comes on Thursday then leaves Monday morning for the ridiculous o'clock morning flights to get him back in time for work, meaning I know that I've lost Fri-Sun so during the week I work a lot harder as it needs to be done by 11pm on Thursday when he arrived. If we lived together, or near each other, there wouldn't be that sense of urgency so I'd take until Sunday to get the same amount of planning done.

I also think the fact that we see each other only for a couple of days each month means we properly spend time together when we have it. We've always been long distance even when I was closer to him and in comparison to friends who live with their partner, I don't think our relationship is worse off because of it as when we see each other its quality time rather than yes, seeing each other every evening but I'm working till 11pm so it'd be more like your life just co-existed.

That said, I'll struggle to do my NQT with a 600 mile apart relationship as it does take its toll. We'll have been doing it for pretty much 2 years come September. But if we have to then we will :smile:

Original post by Andy 13
how many of you and your fellow PGCE students have found NQT jobs? is there lots out there? Have you found anything?

I have some interviews lined up :smile:
A number of people on my course have got jobs from their placement A schools (we finished last week) but I don't know anyone who has a job from an interview, but most of the people I know haven't had them yet and are like me waiting for their first one in March sometime.

Most jobs won't really be advertised until Easter time when schools get their budget through though and teachers have until the end of May before they have to confirm whether they're staying for September. I'm holding out for my placement A school to get the funding they've applied for to make another class (as they have enough kids) as I've been told by the headteacher that they have me in mind for the job as its with the year group I've just had, so if they get the funding the job is mine providing I want it. Its just annoying as I need to apply for things now so that I'm not stuck come May if their funding comes out and there isn't another class so I'd have nothing. I'd really like to teach there but I don't want to put all of my eggs in one basket if there isn't total certainty about it happening :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Hey... Thought I'd ask you guys about this...

If a job advert says they want an experienced Y1 teacher, for example, does this mean it isn't suitable for NQTs? I've always assumed that it meant it isn't, but I've seen a few on the TES recently that start with the words experienced then later on talk about statutory induction being available. So, do they mean experienced as in: "I have 3 years of experience as a qualified teacher of Y1" or do they mean "I am experienced in teaching Y1 (regardless of whether its in your PGCE training)"?

I'm looking on the TES website and can't seem to find a conclusive answer. Part of me just wants to call the school and the other half is too embarrassed incase they're like "yeah, can't you read, we said we wanted an experienced teacher, does that look like we're taking NQTs?"
Reply 203
Original post by oxymoronic
Hey... Thought I'd ask you guys about this...

If a job advert says they want an experienced Y1 teacher, for example, does this mean it isn't suitable for NQTs? I've always assumed that it meant it isn't, but I've seen a few on the TES recently that start with the words experienced then later on talk about statutory induction being available. So, do they mean experienced as in: "I have 3 years of experience as a qualified teacher of Y1" or do they mean "I am experienced in teaching Y1 (regardless of whether its in your PGCE training)"?

I'm looking on the TES website and can't seem to find a conclusive answer. Part of me just wants to call the school and the other half is too embarrassed incase they're like "yeah, can't you read, we said we wanted an experienced teacher, does that look like we're taking NQTs?"

I really think ringing the school would be the best idea. I'm sure they will be nice about it! Anyway, it's their fault for writing an unclear ad :p:
Plus, maybe you should apply anyway, the worst that can happen is they say no, and it's not like they'll invite you for an interview if you don't meet their criteria so just ping off your application!
Reply 204
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Operane

Original post by Operane
How's everyone doing with their PGCE this term? Has it been less stressful then last term? :biggrin:

I relly don't want to go back into schools... I'm utterly petrified, to tell the truth. Only been 2 days in my new school, and seems to have many of the same problems as the last one, with a few different ones...
Original post by Teao the Cat

I relly don't want to go back into schools... I'm utterly petrified, to tell the truth. Only been 2 days in my new school, and seems to have many of the same problems as the last one, with a few different ones...

I was ok and now the waking up early appears to have restarted :frown: doesn't help that I have a cause for concern visit on Tuesday :frown:

Original post by xKTx
I was ok and now the waking up early appears to have restarted :frown: doesn't help that I have a cause for concern visit on Tuesday :frown:

Oh no! I have avoided one so far, no idea how! Someone did tell me that sometimes cause for concern visits can be beneficial, becuase if your school is expecting too much, the tutors can set them straight...
Oh no! I have avoided one so far, no idea how! Someone did tell me that sometimes cause for concern visits can be beneficial, becuase if your school is expecting too much, the tutors can set them straight...

Not the case with me, as my tutor was the one who filled I'm the form :frown:

Original post by xKTx
Not the case with me, as my tutor was the one who filled I'm the form :frown:

Still, best of luck, and lots of sympathy hugs- really hope that they were over reacting, and see that!

In a way at the moment, I wish someone would just chuck me off the course, becuase I know I won't be teaching next year anyway, and I'm too proud to quit, but I know I'd be devastated witha cause for concern anyway.
Still, best of luck, and lots of sympathy hugs- really hope that they were over reacting, and see that!

In a way at the moment, I wish someone would just chuck me off the course, becuase I know I won't be teaching next year anyway, and I'm too proud to quit, but I know I'd be devastated witha cause for concern anyway.

Thanks for the hugs... Hopefully it'll go alright. Still got 5 weeks left!

What are you going to be doing next year then?
Reply 211
Why do you no longer want to be a teacher? have you not enjoyed the time in the classroom?
I'm going to be a librarian. I love the kids, but passionately HATE most of the teachers I have come across, plus think that what we're doing isn't teaching, it's contantly proving that we are able to make a set of numbers rise. There's no time left for actual teaching and exploration.
Reply 213
Original post by xKTx

Oh, I totally understand how you feel. I had one of those and it was literally the worst day of my life. I could hardly speak through it. In all there were 9 people there to discuss me and I had a lesson with 3 observers of my worst class (my school insisted it be them).
HOWEVER...

Oh no! I have avoided one so far, no idea how! Someone did tell me that sometimes cause for concern visits can be beneficial

This turned out to be true for me. The action plan we devised at the meeting was really helpful and setting deadlines for when I had to have achieved stuff really helped me.

Good luck with your meeting, KT, I'm sure it will all turn out for the best.
Original post by Becca
Oh, I totally understand how you feel. I had one of those and it was literally the worst day of my life. I could hardly speak through it. In all there were 9 people there to discuss me and I had a lesson with 3 observers of my worst class (my school insisted it be them).
HOWEVER...

This turned out to be true for me. The action plan we devised at the meeting was really helpful and setting deadlines for when I had to have achieved stuff really helped me.

Good luck with your meeting, KT, I'm sure it will all turn out for the best.

Thanks, *fingers crossed* I'm meant to have 5 weeks left at school...

The lack of sleep is starting again - last couple of nights I've woken up at 6am and 5.30am respectively :frown:
Original post by Becca

Original post by Becca
I really think ringing the school would be the best idea. I'm sure they will be nice about it! Anyway, it's their fault for writing an unclear ad :p:
Plus, maybe you should apply anyway, the worst that can happen is they say no, and it's not like they'll invite you for an interview if you don't meet their criteria so just ping off your application!

Thanks... I'm just too scared of sounding like an idiot over the phone but as I'm off abroad tomorrow (oh the joys of a primary language pgce) I now can email them legitimately because I'm out of the country :biggrin: I don't know why but asking stupid questions seems more acceptable over email.

I'm not sure if its necessarily unclear, they just say they want an experienced teacher and its more that from other ads I've started to wonder if experienced actually means they want say, 2-3 years post qualification experience, as I don't think it always does.
Reply 216
Thanks... I'm just too scared of sounding like an idiot over the phone but as I'm off abroad tomorrow (oh the joys of a primary language pgce) I now can email them legitimately because I'm out of the country :biggrin: I don't know why but asking stupid questions seems more acceptable over email.

I'm not sure if its necessarily unclear, they just say they want an experienced teacher and its more that from other ads I've started to wonder if experienced actually means they want say, 2-3 years post qualification experience, as I don't think it always does.

I'd e-mail - I've had one get back to me and say they're looking for somebody who's got a few years behind them, and another that said they'd consider 'exceptional NQTs', which made me giggle, because they're hardly going to say really rubbish ones :tongue:.
Original post by *River

Original post by *River
I'd e-mail - I've had one get back to me and say they're looking for somebody who's got a few years behind them, and another that said they'd consider 'exceptional NQTs', which made me giggle, because they're hardly going to say really rubbish ones :tongue:.

I always think its funny when they say that in adverts too as you'd have to be pretty self assured to be going for jobs where you had to be "an exceptional NQT" to get the post. What do you think they mean by that anyway? That they'd only consider someone who was outstanding across the board? As we're not going to know at this stage anyway.
Reply 218
I always think its funny when they say that in adverts too as you'd have to be pretty self assured to be going for jobs where you had to be "an exceptional NQT" to get the post. What do you think they mean by that anyway? That they'd only consider someone who was outstanding across the board? As we're not going to know at this stage anyway.

I really don't know - I didn't end up applying to that particular post because I decided that it wasn't right for several reasons. I just think it's such a stupid thing to say - a school is either willing to put an NQT through induction, or it's not. I can't imagine that any head actively searches for rubbish teachers, either. I basically take it to mean that they will consider applications from NQTs (ie they won't incinerate them immediately), but you'll have to consult a crystal ball to work out whether you're a strong enough candidate. At this stage in in the year, it's quite hard to know what we're like really - I'm not even half way through my 90 days of placement yet.
Original post by *River

Original post by *River
At this stage in in the year, it's quite hard to know what we're like really - I'm not even half way through my 90 days of placement yet.

I agree. I've only been applying for KS1 posts as I've only done Placement A so I don't feel as though I can legitimately apply for a KS2 position when the oldest I've been for my TPs is Y1 so far! How have you been doing it?

Currently in Spain doing the languages bit of the PGCE.... they're on half term this week so no school for us :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending