The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bananaterracottapie
hey guys, i was wondering as im on probationary period am i still entitled to book a holiday for this summer?( if it isnt already too late). if not when will be the next booking opportunity?

secondly, ive noticed i have short time-3 hours on my payslip, no idea where that has come from except the only thing i can think of is ive been allowed to go home 5-10 mins early , for the last few weeks, would have this accumilated on the clocking system?

Your 3 hours short time is probably from where you've been clocking out early. Say you finished at 4 but you clocked out 3.55, then you wouldn't get paid for that hour. So in future don't clock out until the time your shift is supposed to finish, but for this month if you go and get a wage query form from HR then they should sort it for you :smile:
Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco
Your 3 hours short time is probably from where you've been clocking out early. Say you finished at 4 but you clocked out 3.55, then you wouldn't get paid for that hour. So in future don't clock out until the time your shift is supposed to finish, but for this month if you go and get a wage query form from HR then they should sort it for you :smile:

I don't think thats true, I'm pretty sure you get paid in 15 min slots, so you would lose 15 mins pay, if whoever does your das was feeling mean.
Reply 7782
Yeah it's done in 15 minute blocks. If you're due to finish at 4.00 and you clock out at 3.55 then you can pretty much guarantee they will dock 15 minutes off your wages. Over the course of the month that soon begins to add up, particularly if you do short shifts on several days.
Original post by bananaterracottapie
oh good good, i need a holiday lol :smile:
hmm i dont think so as this is my second pay slip :/ it seems a bit weird :/

go to hr and ask why youre not getting premium

Is it true that you can clock in or out 2 minutes either way and not get docked? Someone in my store told me that but I wasn't sure how true it is?

Also is it normal to be shorttimed for holiday? I have 16 hours of shorttime on my last payslip but the only time off I had was my holiday. I got my holiday pay ok.
Reply 7785
Original post by KatrinaLou
Is it true that you can clock in or out 2 minutes either way and not get docked? Someone in my store told me that but I wasn't sure how true it is?

Also is it normal to be shorttimed for holiday? I have 16 hours of shorttime on my last payslip but the only time off I had was my holiday. I got my holiday pay ok.

Yeah a minute or two isn't usually a problem but I guess they theoretically could dock the 15 minutes if they wanted to.

And yes you get shorttimed for holiday. You didn't work those hours so they aren't going to pay you double to sit at home :tongue:
Original post by cherrycola32
I don't think thats true, I'm pretty sure you get paid in 15 min slots, so you would lose 15 mins pay, if whoever does your das was feeling mean.

That's what the woman in HR at my store told me when I got shorttimed :eek: Bitch. Our HR department is pretty bad though tbh.
well i've clocked out one minute early before and i didnt gte docked. id say its worth just waiting a minute and clocking out on the dot.
I normally clock out a couple of minuites early on most shifts and have never been short timed :smile:.....i think your allowed 5 mins either side or something :/
Reply 7789
I passed my interview for team leader!

Waiting for new contract to come through :biggrin:
Original post by Foulish

awesome ^_^ well done :biggrin:

i wish it was payday, i cant wait another two weeks
Hey basically I have heard rumors from other colleagues from more than one store that from the start of the new financial year, all ages will have the same pay rate ie under 18s will no longer receive less pay in Sainsbury's. Can anyone confirm this?
Yea you are right.I think there are new age discrimination laws again unequal pay for the same job -- Waitrose already got rid of their discrepancy but we get it at the end of March!
Original post by Foulish

Congrats, the hard work starts from now!
Hey everyone, just wondering how easy it is to get a store transfer. I'd like to keep my job when move away to uni you see.
It's my last day tomorrow! If I feel sad to be going after five years of complaining about checkouts and customers, I am not going to be impressed with myself.
Original post by RachelH12
Hey basically I have heard rumors from other colleagues from more than one store that from the start of the new financial year, all ages will have the same pay rate ie under 18s will no longer receive less pay in Sainsbury's. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, I can confirm this just received my letter today stating that under 18's will receive the same rate as over 18's which is good news. Starting from 25th march in my store.
I recently got a phone call from Sainsbury's and was told I have been offered a job as Code Controller and have induction training tomorrow 9am-6pm. Firstly I've been told it's smart/casual and no jeans or trainers so I'm guessing a suit is the best way to go? I had a similar training induction at M&S and went in a suit but felt a bit silly as there were guys in tshirts and jeans but at least the no jeans or trainers warning means I don't have to expect that again.

Also what will training entail? I was just wondering as my friend who works at Sainsbury's said it is a lot of video watching and I read somewhere else it involves activities and more interviews? I was hoping it might involve something which will help train me in the role as a Code Controller and also would a Code Controller be expected to work on tills and so on aswell? I'd have no problem doing that as I worked at M&S and was all over the store helping in every department so I am very flexible but I'm just curious to have an idea before I walk in tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.
Reply 7798
Original post by The Narrator
I recently got a phone call from Sainsbury's and was told I have been offered a job as Code Controller and have induction training tomorrow 9am-6pm. Firstly I've been told it's smart/casual and no jeans or trainers so I'm guessing a suit is the best way to go? I had a similar training induction at M&S and went in a suit but felt a bit silly as there were guys in tshirts and jeans but at least the no jeans or trainers warning means I don't have to expect that again.

Also what will training entail? I was just wondering as my friend who works at Sainsbury's said it is a lot of video watching and I read somewhere else it involves activities and more interviews? I was hoping it might involve something which will help train me in the role as a Code Controller and also would a Code Controller be expected to work on tills and so on aswell? I'd have no problem doing that as I worked at M&S and was all over the store helping in every department so I am very flexible but I'm just curious to have an idea before I walk in tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.

There is no uniform for the induction. You'll be in the training room for most of it. If you want to look like you've made an effort wear smart trousers and jumper, but nice pair of jeans would be okay too. Your feet will be under a desk most of the time so footwear is pretty much irrelevant.

The induction is mainly watching videos, filling out forms, learning about the history and values of the company, stuff like that. There shouldn't be any more interviews, although you may meet your department manager.

Training for your role takes place from your first shift. You're taught on the job.

Different stores have different policies but I think most are trying to train as many people as possible on checkouts. All code controllers at our store are till trained and are regularly called to lend a hand at busy times.
Original post by The Narrator

Thanks everyone.

Just wear black trousers and a shirt. Don't got for a suit as not even the managers wear suits.

Training will be fairly generic to start with and covers people in all roles. What happens depends slightly on how many people there are, at mine there was only 2 of us so it was hard to do most of the activities so we skipped over them. There are lots of videos to watch and paperwork to sign though. After the main induction you get handed over to your department and then you get trained on how to do your job rather than the general health and safety and what Sainsburys stands for etc. of the main induction.

In theory any role other than nightshift could have to work on checkouts. Whether you get trained for them on not will depend on the needs of your store. They may try and get your checkout training out the way at the start if they want you trained on them though but that will come after the induction, not on the first day.

Latest

Trending

Trending