The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marcusmerehay
I actually genuinely believe that after Reina, Gomes is the best keeper in the league. It's just that he gets undone by the odd blunder and more often than not the defenders in front of him.
Really? Really?

Not Hart, VDS, Foster, Robinson, I would put all these above Gomes. Both Gomes and to a lesser extend Reina are shot stoppers, neither of them are anywhere as calm and collected, as those mentioned above. Gomes' distribution could still do with some work too.

I once heard a quote from Gomes saying Tottenham needed to fill their team with world class players, first think I though was they should start by getting of you!
Original post by doggyfizzel
Really? Really?

Not Hart, VDS, Foster, Robinson, I would put all these above Gomes. Both Gomes and to a lesser extend Reina are shot stoppers, neither of them are anywhere as calm and collected, as those mentioned above. Gomes' distribution could still do with some work too.

I once heard a quote from Gomes saying Tottenham needed to fill their team with world class players, first think I though was they should start by getting of you!

Reina is calm and collected just to confirm. I think on performances you'd have to put VDS top at the moment though.

Is Fabregas going to be fit for the West Brom game?
Reply 7002
Original post by lukejoshjedi

well.... isn't that true?

2000–01 Real Madrid | Deportivo de La Coruña | Real Mallorca
2001–02 Valencia | Deportivo de La Coruña | Real Madrid
2002–03 Real Madrid - | Real Sociedad | Deportivo de La Coruña
2003–04 Valencia - | Barcelona | Deportivo de La Coruña
2004–05 Barcelona | Real Madrid | Villarreal
2005–06 Barcelona | Real Madrid | Valencia
2006–07 Real Madrid | Barcelona | Sevilla
2007–08 Real Madrid | Villarreal | Barcelona
2008–09 Barcelona | Real Madrid | Sevilla
2009–10 Barcelona | Real Madrid | Valencia

Winner| Second Place| Third Place|

Well (Barca) they won :a Liga twice in the mid 2000s but apart from that... it's been pretty recent hasn't it. Just saying, I admit I don't know everything about Barcelonas' management and recent success or lack of in the last 11 years

So your argument was 'mid 2000's' yet they won two titles and the CL. Then you still say mid-2000's :s-smilie: You are the worst sort of troll. A stupid one.
Reply 7003
Original post by milan5baros
Reina is calm and collected just to confirm. I think on performances you'd have to put VDS top at the moment though.

Is Fabregas going to be fit for the West Brom game?

No he isn't :frown:!!! Probably!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7004
Jen's coming back. :banana:
Original post by Mess.
So your argument was 'mid 2000's' yet they won two titles and the CL. Then you still say mid-2000's :s-smilie: You are the worst sort of troll. A stupid one.

Not trolling :rolleyes: I admitted I don't know and or remember Barcelonas' successes and or lack of in the past 11 years, I haven't been watching La Liga for years either - but I just wanted to refer to Barcelonas situation in recent years as I thought it was relevant to Arsenals'

*My fault for making myself seem inconsistent if I refer to things I don't necessarily know everything about... so yeah
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7006
Not trolling :rolleyes: I admitted I don't know and or remember Barcelonas' successes and or lack of in the past 11 years, I haven't been watching La Liga for years either - but I just wanted to refer to Barcelonas situation in recent years as I thought it was relevant to Arsenals'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_UEFA_Champions_League_Final

just to refresh everyones memory. only 2 players are left now, and 1 from the bench. the foundations of the barca team today is down to rijkard and ronaldinho who transformed them. and yes, u could argue the barca acedemy is the foundation but u know what i mean.
Original post by Ano1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_UEFA_Champions_League_Final

just to refresh everyones memory. only 2 players are left now, and 1 from the bench. the foundations of the barca team today is down to rijkard and ronaldinho who transformed them. and yes, u could argue the barca acedemy is the foundation but u know what i mean.

That's more because most of those players have since retired (or come very close to it) than any major overhaul, in my opinion.
Reply 7009
Almost all of the Barcelona team were inherited by Pep though, with a great deal of excellent youngsters (Messi, Pedro, Iniesta) already on the books there his job was made a million times easier for him.

That's not to say he hasn't done a very good job at Barca though.

Pedro was playing in division 3 when Pep took over. He is the one that had the balls to play him and Busquets early on.

Messi besides improving his skill sets is a different type of player than what he was under Rijkaard. Pep has maximised his potential by playing him in the middle rather than out wide. Pep actually said to Messi that with his training he'll be able to score 3 goals a game, an exaggeration but his damn well telling it right.
If you guys listen to the Alan davies podcast (which you should its hilarious) ... a new one has been updated. LISTEN TO IT !
Original post by G550NDH
If you guys listen to the Alan davies podcast (which you should its hilarious) ... a new one has been updated. LISTEN TO IT !

Mainstream boring comedian with bloated sense of self worth making bland observations about something I adore? No thanks
Original post by IWannaBeYourBF
Mainstream boring comedian with bloated sense of self worth making bland observations about something I adore? No thanks

fair enough
Original post by G550NDH
fair enough

i'm listening just to see if i'm wrong. i'm really not. that guy having the victim complex over the refs is ****ing stupid.
Reply 7015
JK.
OP
Lansbury on at 1-1 with 10mins left, scores the winner in the 89th. :teeth:
Original post by JK.
Lansbury on at 1-1 with 10mins left, scores the winner in the 89th. :teeth:

He's really impressed from all the accounts I've read of him over there.
Are there many players who were trained by Arsenal from an early age who play in the top couple of divisions today? Can't think of too many and I'm just wondering why Arsene hasn't dedicated more to this area.
Original post by Colbert
Are there many players who were trained by Arsenal from an early age who play in the top couple of divisions today? Can't think of too many and I'm just wondering why Arsene hasn't dedicated more to this area.

You sure? It's not much different with any of the other top clubs to be honest - for us there's the following (that I can think of):

Ashley Cole
David Bentley
Seb Larsson
Fabrice Muamba
Jay Simpson
Justin Hoyte
Matt Connolly
Anthony Stokes (Celtic)
Graham Stack (Hibs)
Jermaine Pennant
Jerome Thomas
Steve Sidwell

There's also a whole load in League One (Ryan Garry, John Spicer, Adam Birchall, Frankie Simek...) and a few who had brief spells in the Premier League before moving elsewhere (Aliadiere, Quincy, Volz, Lupoli, Harper)
(edited 13 years ago)
You sure? It's not much different with any of the other top clubs to be honest - for us there's the following (that I can think of):

Ashley Cole
David Bentley
Seb Larsson
Fabrice Muamba
Jay Simpson
Justin Hoyte
Matt Connolly
Anthony Stokes (Celtic)
Graham Stack (Hibs)
Jermaine Pennant
Jerome Thomas
Steve Sidwell

There's also a whole load in League One (Ryan Garry, John Spicer, Adam Birchall, Frankie Simek...) and a few who had brief spells in the Premier League before moving elsewhere (Aliadiere, Quincy, Volz, Lupoli, Harper)

Was just out of interest really. The Villa academy has produced the likes of Darius Vassell in recent years so wondered how yours shaped up, especially with Wenger's 'philosophy' towards youth. Looks like it hasn't been very successful at all though, which is odd.

Latest